Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ami vs Mishpacha
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

pesek zman

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:12 am
Does anyone read both who could speak to the differences between the 2?

Thank you!

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:15 am
Mishpacha verifies
Stories before printing. Ami will print anything they feel is human interest.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:20 am
They're very different. The best I can offer is to say invest in buying both a few times when you feel like you want some extra reading material. Read them cover to cover, including the kids' sections. Guaranteed if you do this three or four times you can come back here and give us a tutorial!

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:21 am
I enjoy the Ami more. It’s more interesting but yes, take everything with a grain of salt including their health “research”!

doctorima

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:26 am
I don't want to say anything bad about a Jewish publication, so I'll just say that we are happy Mishpacha readers and find it to be very professional and well-written.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:26 am
amother wrote:
Mishpacha verifies
Stories before printing. Ami will print anything they feel is human interest.

Ami will lie or exaggerate to sensationalize a story.
It's possible that Mishpacha does the same but it's not as obvious .

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:28 am
I am chasidish and I would only take in the Mishpacha into my home. If Ami would change his hashkafa to more Heimishe style then maybe I would buy it.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:30 am
Can you tell me the differences, hashkafically, between the 2?

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:33 am
It’s a huge exaggeration. Nothing wrong with Ami hashkafa wise.
They’re just a bit more open minded, can write about sonograms, controversial issue, etc.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:35 am
I like the Ami Living better than the Family First. But enjoy the Mishapacha magazine more than the Ami magazine.
Mishpacha is based in Israel and that shows.
Ami has better current articles but some are just sensation.
I really dislike Ami's main editor's views and skip his editorials and often roll my eyes when reading the articles he pens himself.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:36 am
Amother smokey, theres a lot wrong with Ami hashkafa wise. They write about things that no one would have the guts to write about. They literally print anything submitted even the biggest shtissem. Many things they write about are not supposed to be published in a supposedly frum magazine.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:39 am
You're definitely convincing me that Ami is the way to go (we are not chassidish, we are RW MO) and though neither is for us, Mishpacha, less so.

thank you!

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:41 am
Definitely Mishpacha is much classier. Ami is very sensational.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:44 am
ra_mom wrote:
I like the Ami Living better than the Family First. But enjoy the Mishapacha magazine more than the Ami magazine.
Mishpacha is based in Israel and that shows.
Ami has better current articles but some are just sensation.
I really dislike Ami's main editor's views and skip his editorials and often roll my eyes when reading the articles he pens himself.

My thoughts exactly. Just what I wanted to say!

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:49 am
pesek zman wrote:
You're definitely convincing me that Ami is the way to go (we are not chassidish, we are RW MO) and though neither is for us, Mishpacha, less so.

thank you!

I have plenty of secular reading material at home, and choose to read mishpacha in addition to, not instead of other publications. Overall, the quality of the writing and editing in mishpacha is on par with other family magazines, whereas Ami is definitely lacking in that sense and feels much more amateur. If you enjoy reading particularly sensational articles written by frum people with a heimish writing and editing style, Ami is for you. If you want to read a moderate range of articles that are generally well written and edited, mishpacha is for you. I find the mishpacha staff to come across as better educated and more intellectual overall.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:52 am
amother wrote:
I have plenty of secular reading material at home, and choose to read mishpacha in addition to, not instead of other publications. Overall, the quality of the writing and editing in mishpacha is on par with other family magazines, whereas Ami is definitely lacking in that sense and feels much more amateur. If you enjoy reading particularly sensational articles written by frum people with a heimish writing and editing style, Ami is for you. If you want to read a moderate range of articles that are generally well written and edited, mishpacha is for you. I find the mishpacha staff to come across as better educated and more intellectual overall.

I completely agree.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:53 am
amother wrote:

truth is that I can't relate to either, both are very "other" to me. But as to which is more 'open minded' in its view points, or which my 'offend' me less with it's narrowness, sounds like maybe Ami. (if you're wondering why I"m going to be subscribing at all, it's a prize in a chinese auction)

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:56 am
pesek zman wrote:
truth is that I can't relate to either, both are very "other" to me. But as to which is more 'open minded' in its view points, or which my 'offend' me less with it's narrowness, sounds like maybe Ami. (if you're wondering why I"m going to be subscribing at all, it's a prize in a chinese auction)

I don't think you would get a more narrow, close minded impression from mishpacha, actually. To me, the lack of professionalism in Ami is a deal breaker, but you may feel differently.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:56 am
My only issue with Mishpacha is that it's based in Israel and there's a lot of Israel related politics and issues, and not as much about American viewpoints and issues.

And like I said, I like Ami Living better than Family First. But that's just me.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:57 am
amother wrote:

If it’s so heimish why won’t heimish people read it? What is so controversial about what they write? Sonograms are controversial?
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room