Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ami vs Mishpacha
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

tigerwife

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 8:18 pm
gold21 wrote:
I think she is great. Very funny.

I kind of think she is on this site. Maybe not. I dunno. She reminds me of someone who once wrote that she's a writer for Jewish publications, I don't remember what her screen name is though.

Anyway, I enjoy her articles.

Yes, I think she once used a thread here as a basis for one of her articles (with permission, before anyone gets outraged). She posted a question and stated she would publish responses for a magazine, and some of the responses were published word for word. Maybe it was about advice to your younger self? Anyone remember it?

I haven’t read the Mishpacha in a while. If I read the Ami, it’s basically the human experience and the question to Rabbi Taub (and only the answer if the question is interesting). Sometimes I’ll read the business section. I read most of the Ami Living, although I do take a lot of it with a grain of salt. I will say that I’ve read a couple of articles/stories about people I know and they were accurate, for those that say they are fiction. The kids’ mag is pretty good, too.

gold21

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 8:49 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Yes, I think she once used a thread here as a basis for one of her articles (with permission, before anyone gets outraged). She posted a question and stated she would publish responses for a magazine, and some of the responses were published word for word. Maybe it was about advice to your younger self? Anyone remember it?

I haven’t read the Mishpacha in a while. If I read the Ami, it’s basically the human experience and the question to Rabbi Taub (and only the answer if the question is interesting). Sometimes I’ll read the business section. I read most of the Ami Living, although I do take a lot of it with a grain of salt. I will say that I’ve read a couple of articles/stories about people I know and they were accurate, for those that say they are fiction. The kids’ mag is pretty good, too.

Oh, really? My hunch was correct then, lol. Her writing style definitely reminded me of someone on this site who isn't really active here anymore.

Cute, she is a good writer.

chestnut

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 9:06 pm
I think AMI started a column about real Beis Din decisions and how they were made, which is interesting

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:32 pm
SacN wrote:
How funny! I live in Israel and I feel like it's so so American. And the editions are different, so I can't understand why the Israeli one needs ads for stores in Brooklyn and Lakewood (okay, I get it - lotsa tourists and young couples who go home frequently). It's pretty silly to target me with mortgage brokers in Tom's River, for example.

And there's so much of American politics and personality.

But now, hearing that you think this, I'm impressed that they toe the line so well.

Off topic but the Toms River agents advertise heavily in the Ramat Eshkol neshei email etc. it’s cuz so many ppl move back from israel to Lakewood and they wanna get the clients

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 11:01 pm
I have found the mishpacha to be unbearably boring. Tried it multiple times.

The Ami is entertaining at least.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 4:54 am
Vastly prefer Mishpacha. Intelligent, well edited, relevant. All sections.

dankbar

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:35 am
OP now you have votes on both sides.....so what are you gonna do?

pesek zman

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:11 am
dankbar wrote:
OP now you have votes on both sides.....so what are you gonna do?

I think I'm leaning Ami. But this has been fascinating

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:16 am
Also Binah!
the magazine is great and Binah Bunch too!

pesek zman

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:28 am
amother wrote:
Also Binah!
the magazine is great and Binah Bunch too!

I'm looked through in it and have not found anything of interest to read

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:48 am
I would buy one of each this week and read them over shabbos before you get a year subscription of one. I like mishpacha. it's well written interesting articles about jews in africa, gibraltor etc. and I love the kichels (the comics at the end of mishpacha). Everytime I buy the Ami because something looks exciting on the cover, when I open to the article it's a teeny tiny article with no real facts. The Ami is not edited as well and I find grammar mistakes which is annoying. I've given my misphachas to my modern orthodox in-laws and they always enjoy them.

Sebastian

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:57 am
Binah is very boro parky. I like whisk but otherwise prefer mishpacha. It a more polished.

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:13 am
I really enjoy reading the ami. Although I dot. Know if the stories are true, it’s very entertaining.
I find the binah extremely boring, the mishpacha is somewhere in between....

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:22 am
pesek zman wrote:
I think I'm leaning Ami. But this has been fascinating

You strike me as a smart, well balanced individual. I strongly encourage that you go with the Mishpacha. The Mishpacha has very well written articles; they also have covered topics such as self-harm, depression, breast cancer, miscarriage... I find them to be open minded. They feature all sorts of people from Roshei yeshiva to rebbes to business men to professionals. They have a variety of topics and there's something to interest everyone. If you appreciate journalistic integrity and well-written and researched articles, definitely go with the Mishpacha.

InnerMe

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 12:39 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
You strike me as a smart, well balanced individual. I strongly encourage that you go with the Mishpacha. The Mishpacha has very well written articles; they also have covered topics such as self-harm, depression, breast cancer, miscarriage... I find them to be open minded. They feature all sorts of people from Roshei yeshiva to rebbes to business men to professionals. They have a variety of topics and there's something to interest everyone. If you appreciate journalistic integrity and well-written and researched articles, definitely go with the Mishpacha.

Yes, I completely agree with this post!
I wish that Riva Pomerantz would've stayed with Mishpacha, because she's the only reason I sometimes buy Ami. Once I'm at it, there are several writers whose contributions I enjoy reading specifically Rabbi Shais Taub, Rabbi Kaminetzky, and Esther Sender. Rabbi Moshe Taub also sometimes writes interesting historic articles, or halachic discussions.

However, the overall writing quality cannot be compared. I'll add my vote, that I think you'd rather enjoy Mishpacha over Ami.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:32 pm
Rechy Frankfurter ami editor in their used to actually work at mishpacha.

imdl

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:34 pm
The caliber of writing in Mishpacha definitely surpasses that of Ami.

watergirl

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:43 pm
Mishpacha has journalistic integrity. Ami doesn't. That's what it boils down to. Unless the article is an Op-ed or a first person narrative, the article should be free from bias, opinion, and first person. Ami often has authors writing as if they are speaking to the reader in a 1:1 conversation, some may like that but its not proper for a magazine. Additionally, in any article, when the author refers to a study they should be providing information so the reader can look it up for themselves and learn more about it if they want. For example:

"A study done found that cheese curls are a good snack"
"A study conducted by Joe Schmoe at Standford University in 2015 find that cheese curls are a good snack"

The second tells me who the researcher was, where it was held (lends credibility to the research) and when it was done (informing the reader when it was held shows that the information is current).

Mishpacha regularly backs up their facts, Ami does not. For me, that is very important when forming opinions and gaining knowledge.

So I guess it boils down to why someone is picking up a magazine and what one hopes to gain from it. In my opinion, Ami is little better than a tabloid.

Last edited by watergirl on Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

pesek zman

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:51 pm
So it is like, People magazine vs US Weekly?

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:55 pm
pesek zman wrote:
So it is like, People magazine vs US Weekly?

I'm not familiar enough with those two magazines to answer your question.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room