Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
If your baby sleeps through the night, whats your secret
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:
My babies all sleep the night from very early on. My secret is it’s a gift from God. Also, I don’t talk to other parents. They will hate me.

Posting as amother for obvious reasons.
[b]
This is soo true! My first child I was the one giving advice-he slept through the night at 2 weeks! My second child only started when she was 12 months...its all G-D as much as we like to think to ourselves that it's this trick and that....to some kids no trick in the world will help...

Teacher_EW

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 10:56 pm
I found 12 hours in 12 weeks to be a little too rigid, so I used a bit of that and a bit of Dr. Ferber to make up my own little hodgepodge that worked great... until her first sleep regression... then we had to start over... shock

oneofakind

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 9:10 am
None of my kids slept through. When my 10 month old was waking up for little nursing snacks in middle of the night, I let her cry it out and it took time. My kids went from colic, to teething, to terrible twos with no break so I didn't know when one stage was starting and one was finishing. Oh, I forgot the one with chronic ear infections until age 4. All these sleep training methods weren't invented in my days and I tried all the typical tricks (some of my kids were on bottles and some nursed) so I really think it's just a gift from Hashem when they sleep and part of tzar gidul bonim when they don't. I used to get really annoyed by people who were smug about their "good babies". Some, thank G-d, aren't so smug anymore once they got older and saw what's going on in the world and their own kids turned into teenagers when it ain't so simple anymore.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 9:17 am
purpleink wrote:
THIS! So, so true. It goes for other things as well. With one kid I tried every trick in the book and he was only toilet trained by 4. And my daughter was trained before two with very little intervention.

I love when moms make it out like it's so simple to get your baby to sleep and they are such amazing mothers because they are strict with their child's schedule. Many of them are simply blessed with chilled out, sleepy babies!

400%!!! I can train my newborns/ infants all I want. They are horrible sleepers and will defy it all. I have sils that don’t get it because their newborns are already sleeping through the night from birth. They didn’t do anything different.

But breastfed babies will definitaly wake up more- they want that comfort and formula is way more fulling.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 9:18 am
Ha ha. As if the newborns let us parents in on the secret! If only we knew, we'd all have sleeping babes! Tongue Out

muss

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 9:47 am
At six months when I'm giving my baby food I know there's no reason she should be waking up since she's not hungry. Until then she would wake up very often to nurse. So when she wakes up I get my husband to give her a bottle with water ( so she doesn't smell me) and every night it's getting less and less times Since she's not interested in waking up for water. It's worked for all my kids. Now a week later she's sleeping through the night.

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 10:04 am
DH has been waking up and soothing him to sleep next to him.. it's been way over a week yet he still wakes up every night. He wakes to even though he's not getting food.
Any advice?
Baby gets pumped milk during the day (3x) and breastfeeds at night and in the morning (3x).

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 2:22 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
... let it cry for a week at nights. I’ve done it. Never lasted a week. Maybe three nights max....

This is abandonment of a child.

A child is alone in this world, and when it cries, it is letting its mother know that it needs her.

Ignoring those cries, especially deliberately and consistently, is the definition of abandonment.

Please don't do this to your baby. Your baby needs you.

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 2:54 pm
amother wrote:
This is abandonment of a child.

A child is alone in this world, and when it cries, it is letting its mother know that it needs her.

Ignoring those cries, especially deliberately and consistently, is the definition of abandonment.

Please don't do this to your baby. Your baby needs you.

There’s a balance. We did CIO with our oldest child. It took two nights and already by the second night he was basically sleeping. my sister tried the same thing and it didn't work at all. You need to know your kid. Sometimes it’s unpleasant in the moment but in the long run it’s good for them. CIO in my opinion needs to be case by case. We only did it for our oldest. We did somewhat of a modified form of it for our younger son. Totally different strategy for our daughter. I’m sharing this to show that I’m not a diehard CIO fan, because frankly it breaks my heart to hear them crying for me and not getting me. The balance comes into the picture when me going to them infringes on their development of healthy sleep routines.

In a similar way, you might push one kid past a fear of going down a slide because you know they’ll love it but just need to get over the initial fear. Trying that with another kid might backfire horribly.

Nobody’s saying you should abandon your child’s needs, just that you sometimes need to prioritize WHICH of your child’s needs you’re meeting first and in which ways.

pushingforward

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 2:59 pm
My first baby slept through the night from about 5 month, in his own room .
Now with my second though, she's 15 month, and has never slept through a night yet! wakes up at least twice, sometimes 5-6 times a night! I make sure she eats well , give her a bubble-bath sing to her, so far can't figure it out. And no I can't let her cry to sleep, I just hope she grows up soon.

any

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 4:34 pm
Book Baby whisperer -Tracy Hogg it's amazing and it's not a CIO method

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 4:48 pm
my newborn is a good sleeper. I started getting pain from probably clogged ducts so I was told to wake her up even at night Sad

potatoes

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 4:48 pm
I used the goodnightsleepcoach .com
bh it saved my sanity Smile

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 6:00 pm
amother wrote:
At a certain point it becomes a habit.. And till u dont break the habit the child won't stop

I'm over 30 and I still wake up once or twice every night because I'm thirsty ..😐

tichellady

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 6:30 pm
any wrote:
Book Baby whisperer -Tracy Hogg it's amazing and it's not a CIO method

I don’t see how the book helps you get your child to sleep if he/she is not sleeping. I have tried the shush pat method and it seems to make my baby more upset

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 7:57 pm
amother wrote:
my newborn is a good sleeper. I started getting pain from probably clogged ducts so I was told to wake her up even at night Sad

Why can't you pump?

Pickle1

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 11:12 pm
my sisters method has worked so far! pick 12 hrs that you don't want to have to deal with ur baby - and those r the DARK

Pickle1

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 11:15 pm
my sisters method has worked so far! pick 12 hrs that you don't want to have to deal with ur baby - and those r the DARK HOURS (I did 7pm till 7 am) Take care of your baby as usual but in the dark or very dim light. during the other 12 hrs take care of baby as usual but always in the light, never make the room dark. after a few nights of doing this, the baby automatically began giving me longer night stretches of sleep and going back to sleep right after feedings. probably at abt 2 months, only waking up once or twice for feedings....

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 11:34 pm
tichellady wrote:
I don’t see how the book helps you get your child to sleep if he/she is not sleeping. I have tried the shush pat method and it seems to make my baby more upset

Same here.
I recommend "healthy sleep habits happy child" by Dr. Weissbluth. (Warning- its a CIO method.)

One of the biggest tips I learned is to put baby to sleep (naps and bedtime) within 1.5-2 hours of when the baby last woke up. That got my baby into a nice routine.

agreer

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 12:03 am
Cio works quicker than anything else. I'd rather my baby Cio for 1 hr the first night than for five minutes for 8 weeks in a row.

My 5 mo did Cio and never cried more than 20 minutes. 6 Mos is a perfect age. It's harder when they are older.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics