Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Gluten free dairy supper idea?
1  2  Next

simba

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 9:19 am
I signed up to send supper to a friend that had a baby. I wrote I would send Milchigs but I just noticed she is gluten free.. Any ideas?
I was thinking a baked ziti main. Soup, salad, cheese latkes etc..

I am not Gluten free so I do not know what good substitutes are.
Should I just call her and offer fish in place?

bargainlover

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 9:20 am
I would send a hearty veggie soup, salad, a fish like salmon or flounder, and baked ziti. She will have what to eat without the ziti....

cbg

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 9:21 am
You can use brown rice pasta

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 9:22 am
You can use zuchinni sliced thinly and use that instead of pasta and make a lasagna.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 9:23 am
Ziti has gluten in it.

I would make her a lasagna, but instead of noodles use layers of zucchini and eggplant. That's actually what I'm making for dinner tonight, it's one of my favorites.

There's no specific recipe, just layer whatever sounds good. Ricotta, farmers cheese, cottage cheese, provolone, parmesan, feta, haolumi, bulgari, mushrooms, onions, canned marinara sauce, etc. I just grab whatever I have on hand.

If you're worried about the lasagna being too watery, you can mix some rice or potato flour into the sauce, and it will thicken everything up.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 9:31 am
Is she up for eggplant? Eggplant parmesan made with toasted ground almonds is delicious. You can bake the eggplant slices, no need to fry.
How about cheesy stuffed potatoes? Serve along with Greek salad. And hot soup too.

rgr

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 9:42 am
This might be a little too creative for some palates.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp.....6t7fq

mha3484

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 9:47 am
A friend made me baked ziti using barilla gf pasta it was so nice of her since most people get nervous and stick to chicken.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 10:04 am
ra_mom wrote:
Is she up for eggplant? Eggplant parmesan made with toasted ground almonds is delicious. You can bake the eggplant slices, no need to fry.
How about cheesy stuffed potatoes? Serve along with Greek salad. And hot soup too.

This is a great idea. But keep in mind if the mother is breastfeeding she may not want to eat eggplant. My babies would cry terribly after I ate eggplant. Ever since then, I stopped sending kimpeturins eggplant Parmesan unless they were not nursing.

dankbar

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 10:15 am
Broccoli squash soup with cheese. Sautee the broccoli & squash with onions & garlic for an hour. Add water & spices boil up. Then hand blend & place a slice of am cheese in ind plate before serving & stir. Layered potatoes & eggs wit sour cream. Fishballs in tomato sauce with peas & carrots. Low carb veg quiche. Sautee pepper,mushrooms, green beans with onions & then add in an egg till set & spice it, then place in oven to bake. Letcho. Shakshouka. Spinach. Fish & chips. Mashed potatoes. Or rice. I do a in a pan sautee zucchini with onions, add on top cubed potatoes, ketchup or tomato sauce optional & add cheese to melt at end. Spices.

cbg

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 10:16 am
Make the baked ziti with gf pasta it’s available everywhere.
We are strict on yashan and when yashan pasta is not available we use brown rice pasta
No one notices the difference

dankbar

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 10:20 am
A soup. A salad. A fish. Potaoes. & any cooked/baked/ stirfry veg. Is a full, hearty, nice gf meal. If you wanna add for dessert a dairy ice cream or cappuccino or gf cheesecake, or an ambroshia or yogurt with fruit, homemade pudding is an added bonus.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 10:28 am
thunderstorm wrote:
This is a great idea. But keep in mind if the mother is breastfeeding she may not want to eat eggplant. My babies would cry terribly after I ate eggplant. Ever since then, I stopped sending kimpeturins eggplant Parmesan unless they were not nursing.

I know that's why I wrote is she up for eggplant? Tongue Out

mc

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 10:56 am
Butternut squash soup
Twice baked potatoes with cheese
Quinoa with sauteed vegetables

mc

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 10:57 am
You can add baked apples or another fruit for a light dessert too.

simba

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 10:57 am
Thanks everyone.. I might be daring and try the GF pasta. Any recommendations as to which brand is best? I have heard of Traders Joe's, is it worth driving 20 minutes to pick it up?

MC, what is twce baked potatoes?

mc

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 11:01 am
Basically, you bake potatoes until done. Cut in half, then scoop out most of potatoes leaving shell fuly intact. Mash potatoes with oil, spices and stuff shells. Top with shredded cheese and rebake.

mha3484

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 11:08 am
You can get barilla or ronzoni gluten free pasta in any major supermarket. You cook it exactly the same as regular pasta.

dankbar

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 11:37 am
mc wrote:
Butternut squash soup
Twice baked potatoes with cheese
Quinoa with sauteed vegetables

This meal is gluten free but mostly carbs

DVOM

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 12:15 pm
I like Tinkyada brand brown rice pasta. Here in Lakewood it's available in all the big supermarkets.

My favorite gluten-free pasta dish:

Spread a bag of frozen broccoli and box of cut up baby Bella mushrooms on a sheet pan. Spray with Pam, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic, and bake uncovered for about 45 minutes. Boil pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta and add roasted veggies to pasta pot. Add 1/2- 1 cup of heavy cream and some parm cheese. Yummmmmy! I like to serve this with a lemon and oil dressed green salad.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals