Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Monsey mothers of little babies
1  2  Next

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 10:27 pm
Are you avoiding going out due to the measles outbreak?

I have a 5 month old baby and feel the need to go out at least once a day. I am afraid if I stay indoors all day with my baby I will go nuts. But I am super nervous to chas veshalom expose my unvaccinated baby to measles.

I am not asking for a debate on vaccines/the MMR. Save that for the million other threads on measles. Just asking those mothers who generally vaccinate how they are dealing with the situation.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 10:50 pm
Sure I go out, as do my neighbors, sisters & friends. I haven't heard of anyone locked in at home.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 10:53 pm
amother wrote:
Sure I go out, as do my neighbors, sisters & friends. I haven't heard of anyone locked in at home.

I take it you are not afraid of your baby c'v contracting measles?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 10:57 pm
No, I'm not afraid. She can just as well catch from older siblings coming and going.
My doctor claims that it's harder for babies to catch measles.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 10:58 pm
I definitely go out. Obviously I’m nervous about the whole measles situation but I’m not going to stop my normal life. I just do my hishtadlus, I wouldn’t let a random stranger near her and I don’t take her out of her stroller really unless necessary in public. She’s 3.5 months old

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 11:13 pm
amother wrote:
I definitely go out. Obviously I’m nervous about the whole measles situation but I’m not going to stop my normal life. I just do my hishtadlus, I wouldn’t let a random stranger near her and I don’t take her out of her stroller really unless necessary in public. She’s 3.5 months old

Isn't measles in the air? Why would not taking her out of her stroller help anything? Asking because I want to calm myself down not because I am trying to scare you.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 11:49 pm
Is it dangerous for babies to catch measles?

NovelConcept

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 11:53 pm
How about going for a nice long outdoor walk? Why does "going out" have to mean going to public places swarming with people?

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 3:09 am
My son is on house arrest basically since this outbreak. He's recovering from leukemia as of now. I have a neighbor that's anti vaxx & sends her kids out in the shared hallway to play. I'm in Brooklyn. I asked his school to send home notes so I can send him to school once everyone is immunized but they didnt. He's home for a very long time already & wants to be a normal kid & go to school already.

camp123

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 3:20 am
If you're nursing and you are vaccinated then until six months it's very unlikely the baby will catch measles.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 7:52 am
amother wrote:

This might prevent her contracting other types of diseases but won't help prevent contracting measles ch"v. Measles is airborne-it hovers in the air for 2 hours after the measles person left that area, just waiting for people to breathe it in. A baby can be in a stroller, whatever-if a person with measles was there, she can ch"v catch it.

Our pediatricians office recommends ideally keeping your baby at home. Of course they cant put u under house arrest, and they understand how busy life requires going out-but they are not going to tell you its safe. They say "keep the baby at home. If you cant, I understand, but its on you"

Other pediatricians have told my friends similarly. And yes, it is very dangerous for a young infant to get the measles! Its dangerous for them to even get bronchitis and the flu, let alone measles!

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 7:53 am
camp123 wrote:
If you're nursing and you are vaccinated then until six months it's very unlikely the baby will catch measles.

I was not immune. Immunity wore off. Just took the MMR this week. Does not apply to me unfortunately.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 7:55 am
amother wrote:
My son is on house arrest basically since this outbreak. He's recovering from leukemia as of now. I have a neighbor that's anti vaxx & sends her kids out in the shared hallway to play. I'm in Brooklyn. I asked his school to send home notes so I can send him to school once everyone is immunized but they didnt. He's home for a very long time already & wants to be a normal kid & go to school already.

I'm sorry. Must be very difficult for Tue both of you.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 7:59 am
NovelConcept wrote:
How about going for a nice long outdoor walk? Why does "going out" have to mean going to public places swarming with people?

You are right, I just like going out where I can be around other adults. I don't have much adult social activity at home. Obviously my baby is more important, will have to forgo my social needs....I just wonder for how long that will have to be

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 8:00 am
amother wrote:

Yes

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 8:05 am
NovelConcept wrote:

Obviously its much much safer to go outdoors for a walk than a place swarming with people-but realize there is still a real risk of contracting measles like that too. If someones sitting on a park bench that 2 hours ago someone with measles was sitting on, breathing that air can make them catch the measles. Easily.

So easily, in fact, that 9 out of 10 unvaccinated people who are exposed to measles will contract it.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 8:10 am
Remember that big measles outbreak that happened a few years ago at Disneyland?

That was all outdoors. Sure, you're far more likely to get infected if you are indoors with someone who is sick (practically guaranteed), but it most certainly can be caught in open air.

OP, if you want adult convo, we'll talk to you! Start a subject in Chit Chat, and we'll talk all day long. Very Happy

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 8:36 am
Also realize how fast its spreading. End of last week we had 18 confirmed cases. This monday, a few days later, the number was 31. Today, they just announced 40 with 11 more suspected.
This is not something thats confined to a small area. Its spreading from one antivaxer to the next, from one unvacvinated infant to the next. Lo aleinu. Please be careful.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 3:10 pm
amother wrote:

I live in Israel, my Baby had measles he ws a real pity. 9 months, too young to be immunized.
The dr said generally its not dangerous in babys.
He was back to himself after a few days.

nchr

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 5:03 pm
I go out, my baby does not. Once a child is 6 months old they may receive a vaccination. Also, if an unvaccinated child has a confirmed exposure, you could request immunoglobulin (which is a worst case scenario).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics