Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I am a romance writer...AMA
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 2:52 pm
Jewish Regency seems more like historical fiction than romance.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 3:22 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Jewish Regency seems more like historical fiction than romance.

Regencies are always romances.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 4:31 pm
Are you referring to Libi Astaire? Seems more like regular novels than romance. Doesn't seem the type to have buildup to relations scenes etc.
Any other authors or suggestions?

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 4:36 pm
Are you referring to Libi Astaire? Seems more like regular novels than romance. Doesn't seem the type to have buildup to relations scenes etc.
Any other authors or suggestions?

Me? No. The author I was referring to used a name that started with M.
Also, if you know anything about regencies, you'll know they all originated from Jane Austen and most are modelled along the line of Pride and Prejudice. Which is a romance without even a hint of s-x.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 4:40 pm
Not familiar - live and learn.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 4:46 pm
Lol.
I don't read romances much anymore but if you are looking for suggestions, you might try these authors: Tracy Grant (her newer books use Teresa Grant) or the newly reprinted books by Mary Stewart. Those books don't tend tend to have graphic scenes, just little hints. They are pretty romantic and satisfying, though. Mary Stewart is more romance thriller, though. Not Regency era.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 5:04 pm
Thanks! Will check them out.
Don't either read romance as often but when I do, prefer graphic scenes after a buildup.
Shosha Pearl is very good but not much of a buildup and she doesn't have that many pieces. More short story than novel although very descriptive and captivating writing. Big fan.
Appreciate the input!

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 5:20 pm
You know what book sounds right up your alley?
The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig.
If you like it, there are several sequels. But you have to read in order.

small bean

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 5:21 pm
Gabriella gabaldon.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 6:06 pm
Bumping this up.
Dodgerblue or anyone else - Any author recommendations? Not looking for the typical Sandra Brown, Nora Roberts etc. Do you know of authors similar to ShoshaPearl?

Mary balogh, Jo Beverley, Courtney Milan.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 6:52 pm
Anything by Amy Harmon, but especially From Sand and Ash!

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 11:56 pm
I have a degree in Library Science. (I didn't learn anything important, by the way.) One of the class discussions involved romance novels. Our professor said that romance novels led to the decline of marriages, simply because real men don't measure up to our expectations. Would you agree or disagree with this statement?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 12:36 am
Would not agree. Does watching steamy scenes in movies or TV shows have the same negative effect on marriages? Most women and men don't look or act like what's seen on the screen.
Romance novels open up a set of feelings and fantasy that healthy people can channel in to their personal situation and increased libido, fantasy etc. Can have a very beneficial effect on marriage. (Certainly have learnt some new and exciting bedroom activities from reading romance novels).

Granted if there are other underlying issues (relationship or s-xual in nature), reading material that is "picture perfect" may strengthen feelings of frustration or distance between spouses. However I don't believe that in and of itself, romance novels are detrimental to marriage.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 1:18 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I have a degree in Library Science. (I didn't learn anything important, by the way.) One of the class discussions involved romance novels. Our professor said that romance novels led to the decline of marriages, simply because real men don't measure up to our expectations. Would you agree or disagree with this statement?

I personally didn't find that it affected my marriage one way or another. It's escapist reading, fantasy, I think if you're old enough to be married you're certainly old enough to get the difference! It's like reading about superman- normal people know it's not real. It's just fun to imagine for a little while...

ora_43

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 2:15 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
I personally didn't find that it affected my marriage one way or another. It's escapist reading, fantasy, I think if you're old enough to be married you're certainly old enough to get the difference! It's like reading about superman- normal people know it's not real. It's just fun to imagine for a little while...

I read an interesting argument once for romance novels basically being the feminine equivalent of lone-male-hero stories like superman, batman, die hard, etc.

Lone-male hero: a single man representing Masculinity (courage, toughness, violence) faces a threat (not just the villain, but eg the boss who demands he hand over his badge and gun); masculinity triumphs (ie, he can only win through sheer physical strength, violence, determination).

Romance: a single woman representing Femininity (sweet, sassy, essentially kind) faces a threat (a Masculine (in both the 'courageous' sense and the 'out of touch with his softer side; a bit of a d!ck' sense) hero who's both appealing and at least a little threatening), femininity triumphs (ie the Masculine hero is so in love that he'll do whatever she asks).

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 9:54 am
Would not agree. Does watching steamy scenes in movies or TV shows have the same negative effect on marriages? Most women and men don't look or act like what's seen on the screen.
Romance novels open up a set of feelings and fantasy that healthy people can channel in to their personal situation and increased libido, fantasy etc. Can have a very beneficial effect on marriage. (Certainly have learnt some new and exciting bedroom activities from reading romance novels).

Granted if there are other underlying issues (relationship or s-xual in nature), reading material that is "picture perfect" may strengthen feelings of frustration or distance between spouses. However I don't believe that in and of itself, romance novels are detrimental to marriage.

Agree. Same with romance on TV/Movies. People don't have that passionate love in real life and
it can make some people leave their decent but "boring" DH while they search for their true
"soul mate".

ora_43

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 10:12 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:

I don't agree at all.

For one thing, romance stories are old. And stories with men who most real men don't measure up to are very old (I mean the Greeks had stories about men who were literally half-divine).

Unless we're going to argue that marriage has been in decline since the 17th century or so...

For another thing, I don't think there's any evidence to suggest women see the men in romance novels as "dream men." I mean, were middle-aged women reading Twilight because they dreamed of dating a sparkly, overly-dramatic 17-year-old? (Who would stay 17, with the s-x drive of a teenager and no need for sleep, for all of eternity?)

I don't think so.

Men in romance stories tend to be muscular and rich, but they also tend to be drama queens and jerks. In real life, the women I know would be far more interested in a sweet guy with a steady temperament, steady job, and squishy midsection.

It's about the fantasy. Women like these characters in books, because in the book the male lead isn't just A Guy, he's a stand-in for Masculinity in all its deeply irritating glory. But not many people are looking for that in real life.

And finally, if we're blaming fiction for the breakdown of marriage, why blame the books marketed to women??? What about the looooong history of male-oriented stories with beautiful female characters who are treated as nothing more than the reward the male lead earns at the end? In other words - why blame Twilight, not James Bond?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 1:21 pm
ora_43 wrote:
I don't agree at all.

For one thing, romance stories are old. And stories with men who most real men don't measure up to are very old (I mean the Greeks had stories about men who were literally half-divine).

Unless we're going to argue that marriage has been in decline since the 17th century or so...

For another thing, I don't think there's any evidence to suggest women see the men in romance novels as "dream men." I mean, were middle-aged women reading Twilight because they dreamed of dating a sparkly, overly-dramatic 17-year-old? (Who would stay 17, with the s-x drive of a teenager and no need for sleep, for all of eternity?)

I don't think so.

Men in romance stories tend to be muscular and rich, but they also tend to be drama queens and jerks. In real life, the women I know would be far more interested in a sweet guy with a steady temperament, steady job, and squishy midsection.

It's about the fantasy. Women like these characters in books, because in the book the male lead isn't just A Guy, he's a stand-in for Masculinity in all its deeply irritating glory. But not many people are looking for that in real life.

And finally, if we're blaming fiction for the breakdown of marriage, why blame the books marketed to women??? What about the looooong history of male-oriented stories with beautiful female characters who are treated as nothing more than the reward the male lead earns at the end? In other words - why blame Twilight, not James Bond?

All valid points but I'm sure it's a very personalized experience.
To me, romance novels do not necessarily need to be or imply old. They should contain overly strong masculinity and passion contrasted with amorous desire and feminine beauty with lots of setting, dialogue and plot with multiple s-xually tense scenarios and at least one graphic encounter.
Perhaps what I enjoy straddles the romance and erotica border.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 1:22 pm
ora_43 wrote:
I mean the Greeks had stories about men who were literally half-divine.

TBF, most women aren't pining after a man who will end up killing his entire family in a fit of madness.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 1:26 pm
All valid points but I'm sure it's a very personalized experience.
To me, romance novels do not necessarily need to be or imply old. They should contain overly strong masculinity and passion contrasted with amorous desire and feminine beauty with lots of setting, dialogue and plot with multiple s-xually tense scenarios and at least one graphic encounter.
Perhaps what I enjoy straddles the romance and erotica border.

She meant they are old, as in they have been around forever.
I think ora's posts here were brilliant. Enough of always blaming women for the deterioration of marriage. Men have been reading texts a lot more inimical to marriage for centuries.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics