Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I am a romance writer...AMA
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 1:35 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Thanks! Will check them out.
Don't either read romance as often but when I do, prefer graphic scenes after a buildup.
Shosha Pearl is very good but not much of a buildup and she doesn't have that many pieces. More short story than novel although very descriptive and captivating writing. Big fan.
Appreciate the input!

Ruthie Knox

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 1:38 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
She meant they are old, as in they have been around forever.
I think ora's posts here were brilliant. Enough of always blaming women for the deterioration of marriage. Men have been reading texts a lot more inimical to marriage for centuries.

Great word!

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 2:05 pm
Well I'll be honest and say that I wish my husband would do some of the things Ive read about in these books. Our Rav does not permit some of those things and I had to stop reading because I would be left with a jealous taste.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 2:53 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Well I'll be honest and say that I wish my husband would do some of the things Ive read about in these books. Our Rav does not permit some of those things and I had to stop reading because I would be left with a jealous taste.

Such as?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 4:00 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Such as?

There are many things in these books that don't jive with halacha. Simplest would be oral according to those who don't allow it.
For me, the books are a healthy seeding ground of ideas and feelings that get channeled towards DH. I don't get frustrated walking past a really good smelling non- kosher restaurant but can definitely see how it may cause frustration in others especially if it's for private acts that they desire.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 4:05 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
There are many things in these books that don't jive with halacha. Simplest would be oral according to those who don't allow it.
For me, the books are a healthy seeding ground of ideas and feelings that get channeled towards DH. I don't get frustrated walking past a really good smelling non- kosher restaurant but can definitely see how it may cause frustration in others especially if it's for private acts that they desire.

Our Rav doesn't allow oral as many don't, but there's almost nothing else that is not allowed. I personally have no problem reading these books as I don't feel lacking in any area. And it doesn't make sense to me that anyone should feel lacking.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 4:34 pm
Totally with you on the genre but can understand why some people may feel that it puts forbidden thoughts and thereby frustration in their mind.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 4:44 pm
It’s common knowledge that romance novels are women’s p0rn. Although I had a roommate who would devour romance novels but was asexual in reality and had no interest in pursuing anything physical with the men she dated

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 4:50 pm
Question To OP:
Would you tell your kids(if you have any! ) what types of books you're writing?
Would you let them read them?
Is your husband ok with you writing romance novels? Does he find it exotic? Or funny?
Do you tell your friends in real life that you do?(I mean not anonymously on imamother! Wink )
Is it accepted in your community to read romance novels or a bit tabboo?
I hope I'm not asking too much! Feel free to ignore! I'm just curious!

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 5:25 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
It’s common knowledge that romance novels are women’s p0rn. Although I had a roommate who would devour romance novels but was asexual in reality and had no interest in pursuing anything physical with the men she dated

There are many levels of romance. Georgette heyer, for example, is very definitely not p0rn.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 6:26 pm
Off topic, but I'd love any recommendations of clean romance novels (similar to Georgette Heyer).

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 6:32 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Off topic, but I'd love any recommendations of clean romance novels (similar to Georgette Heyer).

Try Victoria Holt or Mary Stewart.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 10:28 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
It’s common knowledge that romance novels are women’s p0rn.

P0rn is women's p0rn. Er0tica is women's er0tica. Romance novels are women's romance novels.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 10:45 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
P0rn is women's p0rn. Er0tica is women's er0tica. Romance novels are women's romance novels.

Thank you!

Mashy123

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 8:05 pm
OP maybe write a frum romance novel?

bigsis144

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 8:12 pm
Mashy123 wrote:
OP maybe write a frum romance novel?

I would die of embarrassment to read about a situation too similar to my own life... I prefer to have everything cloaked in layers of history or Fantasy/Sci-Fi to add to the escapism. Otherwise I get too nit picky about details and motivations and real-life distractions.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 11:47 am
bigsis144 wrote:
I would die of embarrassment to read about a situation too similar to my own life... I prefer to have everything cloaked in layers of history or Fantasy/Sci-Fi to add to the escapism. Otherwise I get too nit picky about details and motivations and real-life distractions.

Funny, I'm the exact opposite. Fantasy/Sci-Fi dont feel relatable to me because I know they can never really happen. Frum erotica and romance is something I can fantasize about and relate to so it mentally and physically turns me on.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 1:35 pm
I'm reading a series by Mary Kingswood and enjoying it. Elements of mystery etc but very clean romance.
Also would you consider pride and prejudice variations? Some are very good-I'd recommend Abigail Reynolds for stand alones, Linda Wells, Pamela Aiden, Marsha Altman all have excellent series.

Fantasy-I'm also in the middle of another series by Melissa Mcshane, which is really good. Also totally clean.

I also find the fairy tale reimaginangs can be very good-K.M. Shea for example

Although my list is really long-I have around 5000 books on my kindle and that's just at the moment and not counting real paper books etc.
Happy to offer more suggestions within different categories as wanted.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 2:35 pm
So, Marsha Altman was the writer I was referring to, that I assumed was frum, lol. I didn't know she was such an extensive writer, I guess I just read that one P&P spin off by her.
Anyway, sounds like floralwhite is looking for more explicit books. So I don't think your average Jane Austen spin off is what she's looking for. And I don't think there's a genre of frum explicit romance. I mean, there may be some fan fiction type floating around on the internet. But not actual published material. Unless you count, like, Naomi Ragen or Faye Kellerman.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics