Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
I buy ALOT of prepared food AMA

onlyone

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 5:51 pm
And there is a reason I do. AMA

milko

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:10 pm
What is the reason? Do you not have time to cook?

onlyone

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:15 pm
I HATE cooking! And on top of that I have no help with anything around the house.my husband works extremely long hours, and he says we don't have enough money for regular cleaning help because I'm not working.
But he doesn't mind me supplementing our meals, especially my lunchtime meals and Shabbat meals with prepared food.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:19 pm
Do you go to the same take out usually?

onlyone

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:23 pm
That's the funny thing. Its not take out. We get pizza every week or two but I get the prepared food at a supermarket with a very large quantity of Kosher food, both prepared, and not.
I also buy alot of soy nuggets and veggie dogs that are in the freezers. Just pop it in the oven and DONE
I guess that's prepared too,or almost

faigyl

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:28 pm
onlyone wrote:
That's the funny thing. Its not take out. We get pizza every week or two but I get the prepared food at a supermarket with a very large quantity of Kosher food, both prepared, and not.
I also buy alot of soy nuggets and veggie dogs that are in the freezers. Just pop it in the oven and DONE
I guess that's prepared too,or almost

It’s prob cheaper to get takeout then to get prepared food from a supermarket.

I’m another one who buys a lot of prepared food. I go out for lunch everyday and will buy supper 2-3 times a week. I’m usually at pizza , bagel or falafel places for lunch and for supper I usually go get grilled chicken salad or sandwich or stuff like that.

nchr

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:55 pm
onlyone wrote:
I HATE cooking! And on top of that I have no help with anything around the house.my husband works extremely long hours, and he says we don't have enough money for regular cleaning help because I'm not working.
But he doesn't mind me supplementing our meals, especially my lunchtime meals and Shabbat meals with prepared food.

HMM.. wouldn't cleaning help be cheaper than prepared food?

onlyone

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:38 pm
I really don't know which one is cheaper. I don't buy all the time, just sometimes.
We order pizza every two weeks and never go out for dinner. Or very very rarely.
Hmmm, who knows!
But as I said my husband won't allow me to get cleaning help, but prepared food he's okay with. Long story, but it's mostly for me. For my lunches at home,and I often eat something different than what my kids and husband eat for dinner

Cheiny

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:42 pm
onlyone wrote:

Cooking instead of buying expensive takeout would give you enough money to have cleaning help!

onlyone

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:49 pm
Not trying to be rude, but your last response upset me Cheung. Irl I rarely say when I'm upset, but on here if I am I feel comfortable doing so
Who knows!

onlyone

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:50 pm
I wanted to start this thread but the questions and comments are becoming upsetting to me. Can you lock this thread (moderator) so nobody else can post comments?

onlyone

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:52 pm
But before they do, I'll be honest. I think buying " expensive take out" is more helpful to me than even cleaning help. I hate hate hate cooking, I get no pleasure from it, it even upsets me in certain ways.
Its not takeout, it's certain things like prepared quinoia, or soups in a jar, or tabouli that's ready to eat.

flmommy

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:54 pm
It’s AMA not tell me anything! OP glad what you are doing works for you and DH. We eat out as a family or get take out every Sun night. Love it. Food prepared by someone else tastes better! Good Shabbos.

Sebastian

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:54 pm
I like cooking and hate cleaning so I would choose differently. You can do whatever floats your boat Smile

onlyone

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:56 pm
Thanks flmommy.
That was very nice. I agree. That's the point, it works for me, and my family.
Thanks Good Shabbos to you too!

watergirl

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 5:57 am
onlyone wrote:
But before they do, I'll be honest. I think buying " expensive take out" is more helpful to me than even cleaning help. I hate hate hate cooking, I get no pleasure from it, it even upsets me in certain ways.
Its not takeout, it's certain things like prepared quinoia, or soups in a jar, or tabouli that's ready to eat.

I dont know if this will make you feel better - but things that you are mentioning that you buy premade like tabouli, chummus, etc - I think almost everyone buys premade! You wrote “premade” in your post and people are turning that into “take out”. Not sure why.

Th grocery store has a massive selection of prepared items and thats because its popular and in demand! Sure, we all know “those people” who make even mayo from scratch. I used to have a few coworkers who talked all week about the millions salatim they made for shabbos from scratch. And I’m like, ok fab. But Why? Seems like a massive waste of time to me. Some things are such a patchka and require so many ingredients - just buy it! It just seems like you are defending your buying to us and to yourself and there is no need. It works for you, go for it and enjoy.

onlyone

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 10:18 am
Thanks Watergirl. I'm going to call it premade because that's what it is, not takeout. We only order pizza about every two weeks and we almost never go out for dinner .
Thanks for your comment. Good Shabbos

jewishmom6

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 10:29 am
onlyone wrote:
Thanks Watergirl. I'm going to call it premade because that's what it is, not takeout. We only order pizza about every two weeks and we almost never go out for dinner .
Thanks for your comment. Good Shabbos

sounds like a good plan! Just adding in that I order lunch about once a wk and we occasionally buy takeout besides dips which I dont count as "takeout."
Lunch is my treat for not having a cleaning lady.

Learning

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 2:40 am
What you buy is not really in my opinion considered prepared food. It is just stuff from the frozen section of the store. It’s not like you are ordering Chinese from a restaurant every day for dinner. The reason I prefer getting cleaning help and making food from scratch is because it is healthier. But you can do both whatever possible. I also want to mention that you said that your husband doesn’t let you get cleaning help and prefer that you get prepared food. Is there a discussion or he just decides for both of you?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics