Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Help me throw out/where do you keep?
1  2  3  Next

BA

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 2:43 am
S/o on the where do you keep thread. Let's do a help me throw out list. Meaning things you want to throw out but also want to keep.let's help each other purge (or I guess suggest a good place to keep it if you really want)

I'll start:
A) college notes
B) kids report cards

Thanks! let's get the garbage full and the houses clean!

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 3:15 am
What about I still have my own report cards & I'm over 40.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 3:25 am
I still have all my letters I received as a young girl.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 4:55 am
Scan the college notes.
Keep the report cards in an envelope if they don't take up too much space and they mean something to you and the kids.

Teomima

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 5:14 am
I'd get rid of the college notes but file away the report cards. I've had to use my own childhood report cards to prove my US citizenship when claiming citizenship for my children so to me it makes sense as something to keep (then hand off to your children, when they're adults, to do with as they please).

etky

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 5:15 am
Why do you need your college notes? Have you ever referred back to them? That would be something to toss IMO, especially if they take up lots of room and if the info they contain is dated.
Kids report cards: open a file for each kid and at the end of each term insert their report card and any other important non-health related document (those might go in a different file) that you would like to retain for the future.
Keep the files in a filing cabinet with your other important papers.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 5:35 am
Id scan any papers youd want to keep so that they are not taking up any actual physical space.

Personally I love purging stuff. I sometimes randomly clean out drawers and other places that I havent gone through in a few months and there are always things to throw out. And if feels so good, to me, to get rid of stuff that I dont need and have not even looked at in a long time.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 9:01 am
Teomima wrote:
I'd get rid of the college notes but file away the report cards. I've had to use my own childhood report cards to prove my US citizenship when claiming citizenship for my children so to me it makes sense as something to keep (then hand off to your children, when they're adults, to do with as they please).

I used my report card too to prove citizenship for my children.

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:19 am
yo'ma wrote:
I used my report card too to prove citizenship for my children.

Interesting

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:27 am
I used to save my school stuff, but when I was in hi school I decided to dump as soon as year is over, because when I reviewed my previous stuff....I found a writing assignment that I wrote that reflected on the difficult situation I was going thru that year. I was too embarrased. When I finished school, I sent a letter to my 7th grade teacher to thank her, on the way she dealt with me, being most probably aware that something is going on, from reading that writing assignment. She denied that I was acting any different or that she was treating me in any way differently. She thanked me for thanking her....so she knew that her care & teaching made a difference & didn't go to waste.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:27 am
BA wrote:
S/o on the where do you keep thread. Let's do a help me throw out list. Meaning things you want to throw out but also want to keep.let's help each other purge (or I guess suggest a good place to keep it if you really want)

I'll start:
A) college notes
B) kids report cards

Thanks! let's get the garbage full and the houses clean!

I keep all stuff from my kids school in a large folder in the home office.

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:28 am
One person's easy purge is another's difficult to let go - sometimes it's helpful to have another person to tell you it's all right to release into the universe.

Regarding the OP, why would you keep college notes? If you can articulate a purpose, perhaps you can either easily toss or store.

As others have posted, scanning so paper items are stored digitally are a good solution. When my father died, I scanned his completion certificates for the New York Marathon which he had hung on his wall. I have them as a memory because I wasn't going to save or hang the originals.

I have some papers that I have written that I have also scanned and tossed. It seemed like a good compromise since there is no reason I would ever need or even read the originals but I was able to get rid of stuff.

Hard for me are some vintage items that I have which I know are somewhat valuable - some might be quite valuable. They are boxed up. I know I should research but it's so time consuming that I keep putting it off.

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:30 am
What about the letters? Should I dump. I was once thinking of returning them back to the senders for the joke of it.....people will remind themselves of nostalgic times from 30 years ago.....I don't really keep up with most of them anymore & they might be embarrased what they wrote when they were a kid. What do you think.

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:34 am
I used to keep thank you cards so after my 120 when they will clean up my stuff people will see how many gifts I gave but for the last 10 years, as soon as I get a thank you card in the mail, it goes straight to the garbage. The only ones I'm still holding onto are the warm notes from parents when I was a teacher.

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:40 am
I had someone come & help me organize...half my house went out. Ratty teddy bears went....games & puzzles with missing pieces went....broken picture frames waiting for repair went....anyhing that wasn't being used at the moment or not functioning properly or not in best of condition or not enough pretty or up to date to decorate she made me throw out or give away. Same with clothing.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:44 am
Right now I have big problem my house is not housing all the stuff I own. Don't know what to do. My son wasn't well & kept on & is still getting a bunch of stuff from all organizations & from hospital that don't fit into my closets. I keep giving away gift packages to all people that helped me but I still have boxes piled up with stuff in every room & nowhere to put the contents

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:50 am
amother wrote:
Right now I have big problem my house is not housing all the stuff I own. Don't know what to do. My son wasn't well & kept on & is still getting a bunch of stuff from all organizations & from hospital that don't fit into my closets. I keep giving away gift packages to all people that helped me but I still have boxes piled up with stuff in every room & nowhere to put the contents
Baruch HaShem your son is doing better. You can sell the items on EBay and make some money off of it. You can donate it or make a garage sale and sell them.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:52 am
Donate! Donate! Donate!
There are refugee children in my city who came with nothing! My children's ratty teddy and memory games are their treasures!
I donate cotton clothes that are beyond repair to a company that recycles fibres. I'm sure there is someone somewhere, in a community out there, that can use our old stuff.

Well.... maybe not my old organic chemistry notes. Why AM I keeping those anyway?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:53 am
I have a 48" mattress that I keep inside my playroom closet (it's a walk in closet) , because "incase" I have extra guest and need an extra large mattress that could fit two little kids. I can't seem to part with it. I didn't need it in the last three years. I need someone to give me a push to throw it out. Because it takes up most of one wall and I want to build shelves on that wall to house my toys that are in boxes on the floor.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:57 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I have a 48" mattress that I keep inside my playroom closet (it's a walk in closet) , because "incase" I have extra guest and need an extra large mattress that could fit two little kids. I can't seem to part with it. I didn't need it in the last three years. I need someone to give me a push to throw it out. Because it takes up most of one wall and I want to build shelves on that wall to house my toys that are in boxes on the floor.

What about a murphy bed?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics