Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Are all adults vaccinated
1  2  3  Next

sub

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 1:16 pm
We are so busy with the kids that one area is being ignored. Anyone born in the early sixties or before has either not been vaccinated or the effect of the vaccine is weakened. When I returned to college in my early forties I had to prove I was immunized What happens if a teacher or coworker falls in this category or is an antivaxer. We definetly had this problem a few years ago in my school

southernbubby

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 1:19 pm
sub wrote:
We are so busy with the kids that one area is being ignored. Anyone born in the early sixties or before has either not been vaccinated or the effect of the vaccine is weakened. When I returned to college in my early forties I had to prove I was immunized What happens if a teacher or coworker falls in this category or is an antivaxer. We definetly had this problem a few years ago in my school

There are people currently calling rabbonim in Detroit and asking them not to let non-vaccinated people attend shul. There is no way, short of drawing titers on all the congregants to prove that everyone in shul is safe to walk around in public. There is also no way to stand at the door and check vaccination records and people straggle in all the time during davening.
Somehow we all tolerated each other until this outbreak.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 1:23 pm
Please, stop it already. JUST STOP. Stop pro and stop anti. JUST STOP. It's enough already!!!!!!!!!! Do you see the resurgence of KKK and Neo-Nazi's?? JUST STOP ALREADY. We do not need the HATE amongst ourselves!!!!

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:
Please, stop it already. JUST STOP. Stop pro and stop anti. JUST STOP. It's enough already!!!!!!!!!! Do you see the resurgence of KKK and Neo-Nazi's?? JUST STOP ALREADY. We do not need the HATE amongst ourselves!!!!

Please let's not blame the op. The govt has carefully strategized ways to get people to hate on each other and become divided. Causing divisiveness is part of their agenda. It will take a lot for us to stand United in the face of their efforts to divide us. Op cannot do it alone.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 1:39 pm
I think the first person who contracted measles in Lakewood was actually a vaccinated adult..

sub

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 1:49 pm
No no no. you misunderstood me there is absolutely no way we can start asking each and every person it would be ridiculous and cause more machlokes than we already have. I simply wanted to remind people to check for themselves if it is something they feel they need to

sub

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 1:51 pm
Check themselves not others

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 1:52 pm
A few of us ancient ones actually had some of these diseases before their vaccines were developed. I had measles, mumps, and chicken pox as a child. My sons, born in the '80s, both had chicken pox as children. That means permanent immunity.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 1:53 pm
Sorry sub, it wasn't at you particularly , it was cumulative . But someone can take you literally and start that even if it's not what you meant. It's just enough, if every Dr was so concerned theyd contact their patients .

sub

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 1:55 pm
Whatever the matzav we would all do well to remember to daven to the one above because bottom line no matter which direction we choose the end result is up to HIM so lets daven that all this יעבור בשלום

etky

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 3:35 pm
Anyone born before 1957 is considered immune, even if he/she did not actually have measles, because it was so prevalent before the vaccines were invented.
Children of the sixties and seventies should investigate their vaccination records to see how many doses they received and - for children of the early + mid-sixites - which vaccine they were given (the early ones were not so effective and were consequently withdrawn).
Alternately, you can check your titers.
Best to check with your doctor in any case and see what he/she advises.

nchr

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 3:38 pm
Yes adults are generally vaccinated.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 4:26 pm
sub wrote:
No no no. you misunderstood me there is absolutely no way we can start asking each and every person it would be ridiculous and cause more machlokes than we already have. I simply wanted to remind people to check for themselves if it is something they feel they need to
I checked my immunity a few weeks ago to see if I needed a booster shot.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 4:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I checked my immunity a few weeks ago to see if I needed a booster shot.

What were the results? I want to check it now as well

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 4:50 pm
flowerpower wrote:
What were the results? I want to check it now as well

BH ok. But my adult doctor said 3 out of every 10 patients he tests are not immune.

nchr

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 6:01 pm
ra_mom wrote:
BH ok. But my adult doctor said 3 out of every 10 patients he tests are not immune.

However, if you have proof of having received 2 MMR vaccines, that should trump any titers, as I've explained elsewhere. This is also per CDC and DOH suggestions ATM.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 6:05 am
It's easily to slide off schedule as an adult if BH you don't go to the doctor often, or if he doesn't check. Heck I have a child off schedule because bh he's healthy and hasn't been in years. Yes, now, he'll get the booster. (please do not tell me of the yearly need, we don't have it here)

southernbubby

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 8:35 am
nchr wrote:
However, if you have proof of having received 2 MMR vaccines, that should trump any titers, as I've explained elsewhere. This is also per CDC and DOH suggestions ATM.

But it sounds like some vaccinated people are coming down with measles.

nchr

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 8:38 am
southernbubby wrote:
But it sounds like some vaccinated people are coming down with measles.

Where? According to RCDOH all of the cases in Monsey were unvaccinated or undervaccinated (as in one shot only) so far. One was definitely born before 1957 (and was never vaccinated and just never caught the measles - so maybe that is who people are confusing it with). Some adults only received 1 vaccine or may have received in ineffective dead vaccine which was offered several years ago. That doesn't count as having received 2 MMRs as recommended.

About 3% who are vaccinated with both will not become immune, so that is 3 out of every 100, so its possible to other cases. If vaccinated individuals were coming down with the measles we'd have cases already in the 100s and upwards at this point. Not to mention that doctors recommend booster shots for diseases when appropriate such as tetanus every 10 years (5 if you are cut/punctures), shingles for the appropriate population, flu, etc.

Right now, DOH clearly states proof of 2 MMR trumps titers and eliminates the need and cost of titer checking. Recommendationd may change, but that is the reality right now.

People can do as they please and a third MMR probably won't harm anyone, but it is important to stop the misinformation because its ignorance that is fueling this to begin with.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 9:32 am
nchr wrote:
Where? According to RCDOH all of the cases in Monsey were unvaccinated or undervaccinated (as in one shot only) so far. One was definitely born before 1957 (and was never vaccinated and just never caught the measles - so maybe that is who people are confusing it with). Some adults only received 1 vaccine or may have received in ineffective dead vaccine which was offered several years ago. That doesn't count as having received 2 MMRs as recommended.

About 3% who are vaccinated with both will not become immune, so that is 3 out of every 100, so its possible to other cases. If vaccinated individuals were coming down with the measles we'd have cases already in the 100s and upwards at this point. Not to mention that doctors recommend booster shots for diseases when appropriate such as tetanus every 10 years (5 if you are cut/punctures), shingles for the appropriate population, flu, etc.

Right now, DOH clearly states proof of 2 MMR trumps titers and eliminates the need and cost of titer checking. Recommendationd may change, but that is the reality right now.

People can do as they please and a third MMR probably won't harm anyone, but it is important to stop the misinformation because its ignorance that is fueling this to begin with.

I read somewhere that the bochrim in Mir yeshiva who were hospitalized with measles had been vaccinated. When the Disneyland measles virus broke out, several victims had had both shots.

If people born before 1957 are really not immune, then health departments and the CDC should stop saying that they are. Maybe a titer is necessary. Most people who were vaccinated with dead vaccines trusted that they were taking something that was effective and would protect them! Who exactly do you trust if what is being offered in ineffective?

Also the second MMR is NOT!!! a booster. It is given in case the first time the vaccine does not take!!!

You are mentioning the flu vaccine so I will say that some of those who are busy kicking students out of day schools for good for not being vaccinated will not get their flu shots because they claim that they get sick from it!!! Sorry but the flu last year killed far more Americans than the measles did, including children so why are we so passive about flu shots and get so worked up about the measles??? And just as the flu can affect pregnant women and unborn babies, the flu can be just as dangerous. So why are we so complacent about the flu?? I myself got a flu shot and people make fun of me for relying on something that has been shown not to be fully effective but the flu can really be dangerous to people my age and really at any age.

And just as the tetanus and pertussis immunity wanes, what proof do we have the the MMR doesn't just give temporary immunity. One of my DILs has had several shots of rubella vaccine and still has low titers.

And why do we give absolutely no credibility to the many stories of children who had bad reactions from vaccines and were sick or disabled after that point? It is that and not the discredited Wakefield studies that keep this fear alive. One friend gave her kids the shots until one child developed type one diabetes which is an autoimmune disorder. We don't know what causes autoimmune disorders but it appears to start from something that stimulates and immune response. She then declined to vaccinate the rest of her children and now finds them expelled from the girls' school.

We go very far, sometimes too far, to exonerate vaccines when something goes wrong. It is almost like blaming the peanut butter sandwich that the child had for lunch for the severe allergic reaction that the child has to a vaccine an hour later or the child who passes from SIDS a few hours after a vaccine but claiming that the child was probably already ill from something else. We have to call a spade a spade and realize that while vaccines protect many, they may be harming some.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics