Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is your house always guest-ready???
1  2  3  Next

Cheiny

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 12:16 pm
I’m really not a fan of people just dropping in or asking if they can “come over NOW.” Am I the only one who needs some time to put away kids’ stuff, clothing, shoes, magazines, etc. and don’t want people dropping in when the house is flying and I haven’t had a chance yet to put stuff away? I just had someone ask to come in right away just for an impromptu visit. I really need some notice. What’s a tactful way to say it’s not a good time?

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 12:23 pm
I’m sorry, I’d love to see you but I’m involved in something and now is really not a good time. How about at 5.30?

OTIH if it’s not your friend from down the block but your aunt from Israel who is on her way to the airport and won’t be back for six months if at all, to heck with the cleanup. She’s not there to see your house.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 12:29 pm
My house is always flying! I love people coming in and seeing that my house is lived in and that I don’t always have things 100% together and in order. I like them knowing that I’m human.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 12:30 pm
My house is always ready for non- sleeping guests, because I don't care what they see.

If I have any notice, I will clear couches and space on the dining room table, and the living room and dining room floor. If not, I will do whichever of these needs doing (to accommodate where we will be) while I talk to them after I welcome them in. I will say, "Excuse my house please- baruch Hashem it's been a little busy! How are you?"

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 12:37 pm
amother wrote:
My house is always ready for non- sleeping guests, because I don't care what they see.

If I have any notice, I will clear couches and space on the dining room table, and the living room and dining room floor. If not, I will do whichever of these needs doing (to accommodate where we will be) while I talk to them after I welcome them in. I will say, "Excuse my house please- baruch Hashem it's been a little busy! How are you?"

It's the hardest thing I find about living in a tiiiny apartment. I wish I could just clean up the area they are coming into. Instead if my kitchen is messy or the table is cluttered you see it all.

So my answer is no. But I wish it was. I usually don't need much time to straighten up because of the size but on the flip side even a small mess makes my home look like a pigsty.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 12:47 pm
amother wrote:
It's the hardest thing I find about living in a tiiiny apartment. I wish I could just clean up the area they are coming into. Instead if my kitchen is messy or the table is cluttered you see it all.

So my answer is no. But I wish it was. I usually don't need much time to straighten up because of the size but on the flip side even a small mess makes my home look like a pigsty.

I don't actually care what they see. All my areas are visible form each other. I clear the couch so we can sit, or part of the table so we can use it, and the floor there so nobody trips. It's all about utility, andnot at all about optics.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 12:48 pm
I'm a lousy housekeeper so I'm never guest ready. If it's someone just popping by to pick something up or drop something off, I'm OK with it, just say "excuse the mess, been a hectic day here". I have some super critical relatives, so to them I'll say either sorry, not a good time, or if I'm in a more salty mood, I'll say fine, but you had better keep your mouth shut about my housekeeping.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 12:50 pm
amother wrote:
I don't actually care what they see. All my areas are visible form each other. I clear the couch so we can sit, or part of the table so we can use it, and the floor there so nobody trips. It's all about utility, andnot at all about optics.

I wish I didn't care! Did you always not?

I care a lot. Also I'm not a natrually clean person. Those combined makes for stressful quick cleanups.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 1:24 pm
I'm not a naturally organized person either. but I do appreciate neatness and wish my house was more neat. I started telling myself "if someone were to knock on the door right now, would you care if xyz were laying out" (ex: leave the empty bag of bamba on the floor out of laziness or pick it up), that train of though encourges me often to just take the extra moment and put things away. and if someone does show up unexpected I just say to myself.. bh for the mess.. and if it really bothers me I'll hopefully get better at putting things away right away instead of letting it all buildup.

I try my best that my entry, living room and dining room are always in order (aside from the kids coats/knapsakcs on the floor when they come home from school.. I say thats just part of having kids). the other rooms of the house are much more lived in and used

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 1:46 pm
my mother says "your house always needs to be ready in case someone comes by". shock I said no one is welcome to come. (thats because she dropped in at 11:30 pm after the craziest day I ever had)
so I don't let her visit, don't care much about other people. (though it doesn't 'pas' for my mother) I have EI therapists come on a daily basis so I try at least it shouldn't be yesterdays mess LOL
but to everyone else, sorry. we are living here. its not a dysfunctional mess. its a lived in house with b'H a couple of young kids. you'll find toys & sometimes clothing that a kid dropped in a random place that I hadn't had a chance to put away. you'll find papers & stickers.

mommyhood

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 1:48 pm
I have 'unexpected' guests all the time. I put it in quotes because it's the norm for me to have my kids friends come in and out, parents come in to shmooze when they're picking up and and dropping off and I have local family members who stop by to pick things up or say hello although they always call first. I'm comfortable with them seeing toys on the floor, homework on the table, dinner in process etc. I don't consider that flying, just lived in with normal children.

littleprincess

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 1:49 pm
Since I moved I try to keep my downstairs clean of clutter . Dining room and kitchen table empty and kitchen counters clean .
It doesn't always work .
I once had someone pop in and she invited herself to take a look at my house . Beds weren't made . Laundry still all over . It wasn't dirty, it looked lived in so I didn't care

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 1:53 pm
What do you consider "guest ready"?
I'm ok if my friends, family (depends who) or neighbors pop in almost any-time.
Unless I'm sick and the cleaning lady doesn't show. Lol. Then I'll feel uncomfortable. But I wouldn't dis-invite. Just make a comment.

Wintertime my house usually has all kinds crafts and coloring/drawing stuff laying around the living room amd stuff out in the kitchen. We are a family and we live here. And that's how it looks. And the playroom is usually a mess....

Ironically. The part of the house the guests don't see are the cleanest and tidiests - the bedrooms. 😃

CHAYA R

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 1:55 pm
Yes. Can totally relate. Makes me nervous too. But then again I have kids bh and the house sure looks that way!

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 1:58 pm
amother wrote:

true!
my "playroom" is my foyer. so you open the door & thats where the mess is. then right off it is my small kitchen & dining room that doubles (?) as living room, sefarim room, office & another playroom. then we have the bedroom which is split in 2 to accommodate b'H a number of kids.
so dining room table ends up getting cluttered during the week, which I hate.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 2:05 pm
As long as the guests don't care , then I don't care.
The issue is when a guest feels the need to comment (and it's happened) . That's when I get stressed if my house is not clean for guests. As long as you are willing to put your blinders on and don't comment , then feel free to come over whenever you fancy .

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 2:24 pm
Op, I have the same problem.
I care and I’m very embarrassed when people come over and the house is messy and cluttered .
I wish my house wouldn’t get so bad or that at least I didn’t care.
It’s a big deal when I’m having guests.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 2:26 pm
Um, paper and stickers???

While I was making a quick supper ( like, grilled cheese) my 2 year old filled the dolly's bathtub with soapy water (on her own bed)....dried dolly with toilet paper (left all over) and chucked her peppers out the window.

I WISH paper and stickers!!

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:
Um, paper and stickers???

While I was making a quick supper ( like, grilled cheese) my 2 year old filled the dolly's bathtub with soapy water (on her own bed)....dried dolly with toilet paper (left all over) and chucked her peppers out the window.

I WISH paper and stickers!!

My 8 yr old takes tissues and twist ties and makes "clothes" for his playmobil characters . So not only is there playmobil pieces all over the floor but torn up tissues and twisties! He used to take shopping bags and make a "kings clothes" out of them .... creative kids make HUGE messes . 😀

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 2:32 pm
I'm another lousy housekeeper and my house is always flying. I do care though and am mortified when people stop by unannounced, even if it's just to borrow an egg. If I have 5 minutes notice though, I can very quickly move the mess from the living room to the bedroom and make sure to sit down looking relaxed when the guest arrives to that they think it always looks that way. Cool

My MIL once came unannounced from 3 hours away. I obviously had to let her in, but it was definitely one of my more embarrassing experiences. She thought it would be nice to surprise us. I tried to be polite about it, but deep down I hope I wasn't such a great actress and my facial expression gave her the message that she shouldn't try that one again.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics