Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Traveling with a baby/toddler

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:04 pm
Hi,

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the practical aspects of visiting Israel with a baby/toddler, specifically regarding carseats/strollers. She's technically not toddling because she doesn't walk yet, but she is more than a year old--no longer Snap-n-go/Doona age. So do we need to bring both a carseat and stroller?

We can rent a car I guess and bring our own carseat to install in there, but would like to have the flexibility of hopping in a cab--and I know we can take a cab without using a carseat but the thought makes me uncomfortable because it may be legal, but it's not safe.

Any thoughts?

Also, if we do bring a carseat... Can we just bring our regular American carseat, or what do I need to know about carseats for Israeli cars?

Also, without AirBnB, any advice on finding a place to stay? Ideally a place that can supply a crib/pack-n-play? We probably want to stay somewhere central like Beit Shemesh, doesn't need to be a hot tourist spot, but prefer easy access to groceries/practical needs.

I welcome any advice for locals or anyone who has traveled to Israel with a baby this age!

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 1:16 pm
When I ride in taxis without a carseat, I secure my baby in a carrier against my chest (with the seatbelt around me, not the baby). So the seatbelt holds me in place and I'm big enough to handle the shock should there be an accident, but the baby is still secure. Not as ideal as a carseat, but it works in a pinch.

If you are bringing your seat, whatever kind it is should be fine. If you plan on using it in the plane, make sure it fits the dimensions.

For the record, airbnb still exists here, they've just removed Israeli-owned listings beyond the green line. I mention this in case the reason you asked for options other than airbnb was because of that. Meanwhile there are similar sites such as homeaway/vrbo.

Stroller-wise, when I traveled with my toddler I bought a Mountain Buggy Nano. It's surprisingly sturdy, compact enough to put in a plane's overhead bin, easy enough to open and close, and cheaper than the popular YoYo.

Not many tourists in Beit Shemesh...do you have friends/family there? Otherwise o really couldn't see the appeal of making that your home base...

pesek zman

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 1:53 pm
Look into the mountain buggy nano used with the Cosco scenera next car seat.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 6:32 pm
Thank you both for responding. After looking into it more, I think we will just rent a car (and bring a carseat) and not use taxis. I have a relatively compact stroller with that I'm happy with for keeping in the car and using for errands when I'm home, so I think we'll just bring that one along to use.

(It won't fit in an overhead compartment but I've flown with it before with no problems... I don't see why it should be different when it's international travel?)

I wonder whether a baby in a carrier really is safer in a crash. It makes sense intuitively but I know that these things are not always intuitive.

Yes, the reason I asked for other ways to find a place to stay is because I removed my AirBnB account when they removed Israeli-owned listings beyond the green line. So I don't want to use them at all. I'll check out homeaway and vrbo.

I said Beit Shemesh because we kind of want to just taste regular Israeli (non-tourist) life. We are considering Aliyah, not touring, and Beit Shemesh was one of the places under consideration. However, as we narrow down where we might want to live, other places are starting to seem more appealing and so we will probably try to find somewhere to stay in or near those places.

Thanks!

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 6:32 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Look into the mountain buggy nano used with the Cosco scenera next car seat.

very cool. good to know this hack, even though I don't think we'll need to use it this time.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 7:56 pm
A baby can easily be crushed if strapped onto an adult in a crash. The forces of the crash are completely out of anyone's control. Alternatively, the forces of the crash can eject the baby from the carrier. It's a very scary idea.

chicco

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 8:23 pm
The car rental place should have carseats to rent if you are interested. Also, there may be gemachs for pack n plays.

Hatzlacha, and have a great trip!

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 3:40 pm
Thanks! We found a place to rent that has a crib.

Rappel

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 4:20 pm
Looks like you're all squared away, tangerine! I hope your trip is successful!

trixx

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 4:33 pm
Go go babyz adds wheels to any carseat
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions