Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Melamed Academy
Previous  1  2  3  Next

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 1:40 pm
Are you a stay at home mother?

Why not homeschool?

Get your kids signed up for group extracurricular activities.

finprof

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 1:48 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Are you a stay at home mother?

Why not homeschool?

Get your kids signed up for group extracurricular activities.

DH and I both have full time jobs and I'm up for tenure this year. Homeschooling is not a realistic possibility.

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 1:55 pm
finprof wrote:
I know this is an old thread but I'm interested in hearing people's experiences with online Judaics. We had to pull our 10 & 8 years olds (5th and 3rd) grades from a failing Day School and there are no other local schools other than public Sad We will likely move within the next year but I don't want them to fall too far behind in Hebrew and Judaics. Our shul has VERY few kids and no youth programming so we signed them up for Chabad Sunday school already but I'm not sure that is enough. We are MO if that matters.

Another option is https://kitah.org/ , at least for your older child. It is online Judaics programming aimed at 5th to 8th grade. I have no experience with it, I just came across it while looking for some resources to supplement my child's day school.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 2:01 pm
finprof wrote:
DH and I both have full time jobs and I'm up for tenure this year. Homeschooling is not a realistic possibility.

HOw could they do Melamed then? You would leave the kids alone all day?

finprof

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 2:05 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
HOw could they do Melamed then? You would leave the kids alone all day?

They have an option for just "Torah studies" and I was told that it is asynchronous, is that not true?

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 2:10 pm
There's also Jewish Online school where they can help you sign your kids up for tracks that work for you time wise and material wise

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 2:34 pm
To clarify - are you keeping your kids home all year or sending to public school?

Also, where are they approximately in terms of Judaics knowledge currently? I think that will help make more informed recommendations.

Realistically, online offerings may be helpful resources for you, but you or your husband or a third person will have to do a significant amount of work too.

finprof

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 2:39 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
There's also Jewish Online school where they can help you sign your kids up for tracks that work for you time wise and material wise

Is this what you are referring to?Online Jewish Learning
That doesn't look like what we are looking for but I know it's not right to "judge a book by its cover" so if you have personal experience with the program feel free to PM me. (Yes, I realize MO & public school makes people "assume the worst" but we are a fully SS, SN, SK, etc. family. Believe me, pulling the kids from their day school was not what we wanted but you have to do what is best for your kids!)

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 2:43 pm
finprof wrote:
That doesn't look like what we are looking for but I know it's not right to "judge a book by its cover" so if you have personal experience with the program feel free to PM me. (Yes, I realize MO & public school makes people "assume the worst" but we are a fully SS, SN, SK, etc. family. Believe me, pulling the kids from their day school was not what we wanted but you have to do what is best for your kids!)

I think she might have meant https://www.nigrijewishonlineschool.com/

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 2:44 pm
In 2021, I tried multiple times to get DS enrolled in Melamed Academy but was never able to get in touch with someone. It looks like a great program, I hope they have worked out their "customer service" limitations

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 2:48 pm
finprof wrote:

No no no, I meant this https://www.nigrijewishonlines.....ewish

finprof

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 2:48 pm
They are in public school this year. The only day school within 1.5 hours of us is secular, hardly offered any Judaics, and is admitting non-Jews this year anyway so we figured that at least the public school would give them a decent general studies education. Moving is not an option right now unless we each commute 2hrs or more each way for work. DH & I both work full time. I'm out of the house before the kids wake up and home after dinner at least through December Sad

Last edited by finprof on Mon, Aug 29 2022, 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

finprof

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 2:49 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
No no no, I meant this https://www.nigrijewishonlines.....ewish

It's ok even if we aren't Chabad?

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 2:54 pm
finprof wrote:
It's ok even if we aren't Chabad?

Yeah it's Chabad run but doesn't cater to Chabad. They have one class that teaches Chabad specific subjects which only people who are interested enroll for.

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 3:18 pm
finprof wrote:
They are in public school this year. The only day school within 1.5 hours of us is secular, hardly offered any Judaics, and is admitting non-Jews this year anyway so we figured that at least the public school would give them a decent general studies education. Moving is not an option right now unless we each commute 2hrs or more each way for work. DH & I both work full time. I'm out of the house before the kids wake up and home after dinner at least through December Sad

Got it. I wasn't asking to push back on the school switch, just wanted to understand what the day was going to look like.

A lot depends on what you want. If you are satisfied with a sense of community and emotional connection to Judaism and some content knowledge (Parsha, holidays, basic halacha), that may not require so much work on your part, especially since we are only talking about a single "gap" year and I'm sure you already do lots of Jewish things during your family time based on your self-description.

If you want your children to make meaningful gains in textual proficiency, then it is more challenging. Realistically, unless your children are both very unusually self-driven, you probably won't be able to just sign them up for an online program, leave everything in the hands of your children and the online program, and expect to see good results in this area.

finprof

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 3:24 pm
Thanks Birch Smile

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 3:58 pm
Good luck.

P.S. If you need something to help you supplement dikduk, you can order the Lashon HaTorah workbooks. I'm not a morah, but my children use these in school and my impression is they do a good job drilling the material. They may be available other places, but I am linking Book Aleph below from the place I know sells them. The letter on each book roughly corresponds to grade level, eg Book Aleph being for first grade, Bet for second.

https://www.israelbookshop.com......html

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 3:59 pm
Can you hire a tutor and work through zoom? If you’re moving maybe you can hire a teacher from your new community so they know what your kids should be learning.

Eisheschayil123

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 8:52 pm
My daughter has been doing Melamed for secular studies only. I was able to get a hold of them both by phone and email no problem. I didn’t always get them that same day ,but within. Day or so. They are currently on break so you can email them. The limudei modest is more of a specific live sessions part of the day if
I am correct. The secular is all at your own pace, no live sessions, for better or for worse.
Their email is office@melamedacademy.com

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 8:57 pm
Hi
I teach at nigri Jewish online school
All of our classes are live, we teach a day school curriculum catering to families with all different backgrounds. Definitely reach out to the school for more information or happy to answer as best as I can here!

Our classes are 2 hours 4 says a week with the option for a davening and conversational Hebrew add on.

Our curriculum is geared for live online classes to keep kids engaged in learning!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics