Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Car Seat Safety - A Plea to Parents
1  2  Next

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 2:50 pm
https://m.facebook.com/story.p.....;_rdr

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 3:22 pm
Thanks for posting. I alwAys wonder about the Doona. People use it as a regular carriage. Is it safe to use that way? What about car seats that go in a snap n go kind of stroller?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 3:24 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Thanks for posting. I alwAys wonder about the Doona. People use it as a regular carriage. Is it safe to use that way? What about car seats that go in a snap n go kind of stroller?

They're saying it's not Crying and if they're sleeping while in the car seats they should be monitored.

MommyM

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 4:15 pm
flowerpower wrote:

They were talking about a difference in the way the seat is positioned when in the base versus on the floor. The question is which one is the snap n go / doona more similar to.

trixx

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:10 pm
I have the Doona and it's amazing but I never used it as a stroller and I get so mad when I see young mothers using it - especially in brooklyn, like you don't even have a car, why didn't you buy a normal stroller not a car seat? The Doona is NOT safe for extended sleeping.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:13 pm
This is extremely rare. Does this one story mean that its unsafe? Maybe the child had sids anyway. You need to look at statistics to see if its really unsafe.

Sebastian

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:19 pm
ectomorph it's unsafe. car seat companies say not to do it.

18 mo is too old for sids.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:21 pm
ectomorph wrote:
This is extremely rare. Does this one story mean that its unsafe? Maybe the child had sids anyway. You need to look at statistics to see if its really unsafe.

My question is why an 18 month old slept in a car seat!?

ectomorph

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:22 pm
Sebastian wrote:
ectomorph it's unsafe. car seat companies say not to do it.

18 mo is too old for sids.

How is sleeping while driving more safe than sleeping not driving? The whole thing doesn't make any sense.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:23 pm
also sudden death does happen .

My newborn already moved their head to a different position when uncomfortable. Wouldn't a 18 month old?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:24 pm
This is scary. I've seen many babies sleeping in car seats at the babysitter.
Or even when I travel somewhere for the day, I now know I need to bring along a stroller for the baby to sleep in. I really appreciate this awareness. I never dreamed that it's an issue. Just the other day we came home from the doctor and my DH said to leave the baby in her car seat because she was finally sleeping peacefully. Wow. We learn something new every day.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:25 pm
Another question- I used to use a car seat in the house when I did laundry or went upstairs- this way I had a portable means of getting around with the baby( newborn-4 months). Does this mean I have to throw out the car seat? It’s Graco infant: car seat.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:27 pm
https://www.whattoexpect.com/w.....-seat
"What about long car rides?

If you're going on a road trip with your little one, you should pull over every hour or two and take baby out of the car seat. You should also do your best to keep an eye on baby while still driving safely, which is why Hoffman recommends that road trips with an infant have two or more adults whenever possible."

ectomorph

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:28 pm
amother wrote:
https://www.whattoexpect.com/wom/baby/1105/what-you-need-to-know-about-letting-baby-sleep-in-a-car-seat
"What about long car rides?

If you're going on a road trip with your little one, you should pull over every hour or two and take baby out of the car seat. You should also do your best to keep an eye on baby while still driving safely, which is why Hoffman recommends that road trips with an infant have two or more adults whenever possible."
this is totally ridiculous and impractical.

I think they're just trying to protect themselves from lawsuits.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:29 pm
ectomorph wrote:
How is sleeping while driving more safe than sleeping not driving? The whole thing doesn't make any sense.

When an infant carseat is in its base in the car, the baby will be lying at a less step angle than when the baby is sleeping in the carseat on the floor. When the carseat is more upright, there is a greater chance that the baby's head could slump forward and ch'v the airway could be blocked.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

trixx

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:30 pm
ectomorph wrote:

Shouldn't let baby sleep more than 2h in a car seat

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:32 pm
trixx wrote:
I have the Doona and it's amazing but I never used it as a stroller and I get so mad when I see young mothers using it - especially in brooklyn, like you don't even have a car, why didn't you buy a normal stroller not a car seat? The Doona is NOT safe for extended sleeping.

Because they use taxis so it’s a way for them to have a car seat to use

trixx

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:34 pm
amother wrote:
Because they use taxis so it’s a way for them to have a car seat to use

Not the people I know (only BP and willy still use taxis FYI, there's Uber now). They never use cars. But the Doona is the coolest new thing so they need it.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:48 pm
trixx wrote:
Not the people I know (only BP and willy still use taxis FYI, there's Uber now). They never use cars. But the Doona is the coolest new thing so they need it.

They even opened a Doona Gemach in Brooklyn. People use it as a regular carriage. One person told me she likes it much better than her Bugaboo.

Sebastian

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:56 pm
ectomorph wrote:

The car seat is more reclined when snapped in the base vs on the floor or in a snap and go
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics