Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Flammable menorahs
1  2  Next

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 5:51 pm
Why oh why oh why do teachers think it's a good idea to make menorahs in school out of flammable materials and then send it home with the children along with candles so that the kids fully expect to light?!

My preschooler came home with a picture frame menorah mostly made of wood that was so unsteady it kept toppling over when we tried to set it up. The part for the candles was made from a piece of ceramic with pennies and nuts glued on that sat on top of the picture frame. We were incredibly nervous to let our child light this menorah but the teachers got her so excited to light it that it felt really mean to say no. In the end we convinced her to use it as a Chanukah decoration and we found another menorah she could light instead.

So all you morahs out there, can you please use some sechel in designing a menorah meant for lighting? In any case I'd far rather a preschooler come home with a menorah that's not meant to be lit at all, like one that has candles with Velcro to add for each night.

Anyone with me?

Amother because I posted a similar rant on FB.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 6:02 pm
My preschoolers all had either Velcro candles on laminated menorahs, magnet menorahs or jelly menorahs where each candle was a jelly and the kid got to eat it that day.
I thought wood menorahs were out a long time ago due to safety, I guess not.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 6:32 pm
clay menorahs and menorahs made of other materials at school may also not be safe.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 6:46 pm
I thought they stopped this practice years ago. 🙈

flowerpower

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 6:56 pm
You have to use common sense! Mine made one with wood. We put on display but used a regular safe menorah instead.

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 7:58 pm
PSA Play-Doh is combustible. We had a lovely bonfire on the dining table the year our eldest was in kindergarten. (It was well-contained in a metal tray along with the other menorahs. I watched the play-doh burn for a while and then extinguished it. Then I called the Play-Doh company to ask what's in it and learned it's made with oil, which is what keeps it pliable. Excellent fuel if you ever have a power outage and need to start burning things for heat, ch"V)

gamanit

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 8:43 pm
My son came home with a wooden menorah made with metal candle holders with a sheet of instructions. You're supposed to light it and then shut the candles after a short amount of time, never letting it out of your sight.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:01 pm
Respectfully inform the preschool director that out is unwise to create dangerous projects.
Seriously, though, what schools still do that?!
The two I'm familiar with send edible candy menorahs, fake Velcro candle menorahs, etc.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:03 pm
gamanit wrote:
My son came home with a wooden menorah made with metal candle holders with a sheet of instructions. You're supposed to light it and then shut the candles after a short amount of time, never letting it out of your sight.

Still very bad. Dangerous for the mommies who didn't read instructions or got distracted.
Bad chinuch to put out the candles after two minutes, too.
I would complain to preschool director.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:15 pm
I'm a preschool assistant and it bothers me SO much that we make menorahs every year. I can't convince the teacher not to though. I think it's so so dangerous.
I like the ones that the kids make with pretend candles that they can "pretend" to light each night (like sticks or pencils or velcro type things or whatever).
Please do say something to the directors of your schools! It hasn't worked coming from me but I bet it would if parents said something!

gamanit

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:15 pm
amother wrote:
Still very bad. Dangerous for the mommies who didn't read instructions or got distracted.
Bad chinuch to put out the candles after two minutes, too.
I would complain to preschool director.

The instructions were wrapped around the menorah and taped to it and written in very clear language. Not possible to miss. Even without the instructions it's pretty much common sense- and not two minutes, more like 15. Any time really as long as there's still about an inch or so to the metal candleholder. Main point which was reiterated in the letter was about supervision. Teaching little kids that candles should be put out before going away is actually good chinuch. Many people think that they can't be put out no matter what and then you hear about those house fires with unattended menorahs.

keym

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:23 pm
My kindergarten son made the best Menorah this year. Those cheap dollar tin menorahs you can buy in any store. They decorated them with permanent markers.
He was so proud to be able to light his school menorah, and I was fine with it because it's a real safe menorah.

gamanit

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:27 pm
keym wrote:
My kindergarten son made the best Menorah this year. Those cheap dollar tin menorahs you can buy in any store. They decorated them with permanent markers.
He was so proud to be able to light his school menorah, and I was fine with it because it's a real safe menorah.

Be careful that he shouldn't stick his finger into the part where the candle is supposed to go. My daughter cut her finger pretty badly on that. Also be careful as to what surface you put it onto as these sometimes drop their candles.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:28 pm
My daughter brought home a menorah made on a slab of tile - I thought that was pretty smart!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 5:27 am
so you don't light it it's decor

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 6:20 am
Any menorah can topple over (or the candles can) and cause a fire. NEVER leave any menorahs unattended. My daughter made a gorgeous menora this year out of tiles and metal parts, completely safe but we still won't leave it alone.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 6:39 am
keym wrote:

My kids came back with those one year too. It was the greatest idea. They decorated them with markers and stickers and were great.
In Israel I have found that things have improved and my kids' chanukiyot have become safer and more creative.
My first grader brought back a glass chanukiya, my fourth grader has been bringing back glazed pottery chaukiyot burned in a kiln.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 7:21 am
This picture is from yesterday. This is why we don't light gan menorahs.

gamanit

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 9:07 am
amother wrote:
This picture is from yesterday. This is why we don't light gan menorahs.

I'm guessing this wasn't shut while the candles were still burning... Point of gan menorah is for child to get a chance to participate in the lighting. Basically it's there just to hold the candles in place for you for that time and then after singing a few songs you put out the candles.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 1:48 pm
amother wrote:
My daughter brought home a menorah made on a slab of tile - I thought that was pretty smart!

I wonder if we send to the same school. I've had a few kids using various versions for years and it works well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics