Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Your ds goes or went or knows someone, Shaarei Arazim?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 8:36 am
If you have or had a ds or knows someone who went there, please let me know. I really need to speak to a parent that had/s a child there.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 11:27 am
Is that Rabbi Brazil's yeshiva?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 6:13 am
amother wrote:
Is that Rabbi Brazil's yeshiva?

I don't know about Rabbi Brazil, but there's Rabbi Rosenman.

And bump, anyone know?

gold21

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 9:41 am
Sure I've heard of it, and I know a number of boys who have gone there. I'm not a parent there myself though.

What's the question?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 11:42 am
gold21 wrote:
Sure I've heard of it, and I know a number of boys who have gone there. I'm not a parent there myself though.

What's the question?

I spoke to them and other people and I'm getting a conflicting answer. Is the school for troubled boys? The ones who said it is, only heard it was.

The other question is, is about being very yeshivish. I spoke to them and they said that the boys are a mix. I knew the dress code was a dark pants and either a white or light blue shirt, but I read further and it seems like they're very strict on so many of the dress codes. My ds I would say is more modern and that's really hard for him, but everything else sounds great. What kind of boys are there?

Thanks!!

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 11:47 am
You mean Sharei Arazim in Monsey?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 11:48 am
I think that the reason why you received conflicting information is because the student body has changed over time. It had a really good name. Unfortunately like every yeshiva , there are bad apples in every bunch. Many troubled teens became part of the student body, from all different backgrounds. The one or two individuals I know that recently went there , turned to drugs and ended up dropping out and are no longer frum. My DH volunteered with a former student who attended years before and is in his upper 20s. He is a real mentch and good man. So you will definitely get conflicting information based on the year the students attended. I don't know what the crowd is like right now.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:03 pm
I seriously considered it . I heard very good things about it. I won't say it is for troubled boys but I will say that it isn't mainstream. The boys there do need more help.

Yeshivish depends on your definition but to put it this way: The boys there aren't going to either YU or Brisk.

Ultimately we decided against it because from what we heard and saw you seem to have to be the right type to do well there.

They are very strict about the rules they have which include a long school day.(their calendar and schedule is on their website) For my son who needed a warm friendly Yeshiva that would give him his space there was no way it could work out.

But I'm not a parent so take the above with a major grain of salt.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:09 pm
amother wrote:
I seriously considered it . I heard very good things about it. I won't say it is for troubled boys but I will say that it isn't mainstream. The boys there do need more help.

Yeshivish depends on your definition but to put it this way: The boys there aren't going to either YU or Brisk.

Ultimately we decided against it because from what we heard and saw you seem to have to be the right type to do well there.

They are very strict about the rules they have which include a long school day.(their calendar and schedule is on their website) For my son who needed a warm friendly Yeshiva that would give him his space there was no way it could work out.

But I'm not a parent so take the above with a major grain of salt.

I highly doubt my ds would be considered the right type. If you were looking into that type of school, can I ask, what did you end up choosing?

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:41 pm
amother wrote:
I highly doubt my ds would be considered the right type. If you were looking into that type of school, can I ask, what did you end up choosing?

He goes to Nesivos Chaim.

We and he are very happy with it but it is a local Brooklyn school so if you don't live here it may not be so ideal.

My son does have boys in his class who don't live in Brooklyn .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics