Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Bklyn non-vax families what are u doing re: mmr and school
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

nchr

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 4:52 pm
amother wrote:
1) It's been done.
2) At that point, the school rushes to oblige in compliance of discrimination laws.
3) Fun fact: Most cases don't make it to court, because as soon as the school gets sued, they hire a lawyer who tells them they have no case, and the school folds. In fact, one school administrator told a non-vaccinating parent that the DOH is telling me so and so, and I need to comply, but if you say it's not legal, sue me. And he was serious. IOW, the school couldn't on its own disobey the DOH, but when the parents will sue, they will let the judge hash it out.

This is not true. Also, you realize different courts handle the two issues you discussed. Civil, which is a fiscal issue, does not enforce law or state regulations. You can run a red light, be in the wrong legally and still sue in civil court and be granted money; however, usually if you are charged criminally in criminal court you will lose an appeal in civil.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 6:43 pm
So glad to live in a state that does not allow personal belief or religious exemptions. Only medical and they are supposed to be documented and verified issues (transplant, immunocompromised or things like an actual verified allergy to the components like egg for flu vaccines).

Sebastian

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 6:45 pm
I'm guessing you live in CA. It took a pretty major outbreak for you to get there though.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 8:49 pm
do people not vaccinate for polio? Jonas Salk's polio vaccine has almost eradicated this serious disease. In 2017 there were only 22 cases diagnosed worldwide.
During the 1952 epidemic polio was fatal in about 5% of cases and left almost 37% with varying degrees of permanent paralysis R"L. Jonas Salk refused to patent it so as to benefit humankind and make no money off of it.

Sebastian

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 8:53 pm
yes ppl dont vaccinate for polio. I won't repeat the nonsense they spew to justify their decision.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 8:56 pm
there was an outbreak in e"y as recently as the early 1990's !

primarily from immigrants from third world countries who did not vaccinate due to lack of access to good health care afaik.

People a generation ago in the US used to be terrified of them or their children catching it R"L. And it was virtually eradicated earlier in the US.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 9:01 pm
amother wrote:
do people not vaccinate for polio? Jonas Salk's polio vaccine has almost eradicated this serious disease. In 2017 there were only 22 cases diagnosed worldwide.
During the 1952 epidemic polio was fatal in about 5% of cases and left almost 37% with varying degrees of permanent paralysis R"L. Jonas Salk refused to patent it so as to benefit humankind and make no money off of it.
Polio must still be going around because my child is immune despite not having been vaccinated for it. And no, he's not paralyzed. Even the cdc admits most cases look like a regular cold.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 9:11 pm
perhaps we are reading different pages on the cdc? Glad you were so fortunate.
35,000 people yearly in the US alone used to be crippled by this serious disease. Hardly a cold. And it is considered eradicated in the US. Wonder how you all could have come in contact with it.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:17 pm
amother wrote:
Came from the county. I even spoke to them before. No gun was put to my head but they did tell me that my kids would be about of school until the last case in Rockland county was 21 days past.

If I was able to I would have moved away for a few months till it calmed down. It's that scary to me.

The schools called me many times to apologize as the county was fining them if they had kids without the MMR shot.

How come you don't seem to understand that there are really valid reasons why someone doesn't want to put these things into their kids bloodstreams? I am super happy for you that nothing happened to your kids afterwards, and I hope you never know from the affects the shot has on many people. To some people the shot is more scary and has more affects than getting the measles which isn't even considered so dangerous in healthy people.

Vaccines are intramuscular and the ingredients do not enter the bloodstream. Why don't anit vaxxers have basic knowledge of how vaccines work? Wouldn't it make more sense to know the basic facts before defending a less popular decision?

southernbubby

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:
Vaccines are intramuscular and the ingredients do not enter the bloodstream. Why don't anit vaxxers have basic knowledge of how vaccines work? Wouldn't it make more sense to know the basic facts before defending a less popular decision?

According to the site vaccineinformation.org, vaccines protect the body by entering and remaining in the body. This is a pro-vaccine site.

nchr

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:41 pm
amother wrote:
Polio must still be going around because my child is immune despite not having been vaccinated for it. And no, he's not paralyzed. Even the cdc admits most cases look like a regular cold.

Has he been to a country that still immunizes with the OPV? That sheds, which is why the vaccine is so successful.

nchr

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:46 pm
amother wrote:
perhaps we are reading different pages on the cdc? Glad you were so fortunate.
35,000 people yearly used to be crippled by this serious disease. Hardly a cold. And it is considered eradicated in the US. Wonder how you all could have come in contact with it.

The majority of individuals infected with polio do not have symptoms; however, for those who do have symptoms, the symptoms are often severe and can cause lifelong problems, such as paralysis, crippling, etc. Just remembering how many hundreds of thousands of people were infected with polio annually prior to the vaccine, so even if only 5% of people showed symptoms, that was still thousands. Polio is not a joke and no, it is not a disease that you get only when you drink water someone defecated in (yes, an anti vaxxer told me that once before). In fact, it became more common once people used municipal style sewers, etc. because children were in cleaner environments (as in no feces all over the place/in the street/etc.) so they were exposed to polio later on in life (I.e. at school, in swimming pools, etc.) and more likely to show symptoms whereas when we lived without municipal sewer children were exposed to the virus in infancy and infants generally do not have the severe symptoms of the disease. Polio is spread the same way pinworms or a stomach virus is spread - oral fecal - but that does not mean you have to drink poop.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 11:14 pm
southernbubby wrote:
According to the site vaccineinformation.org, vaccines protect the body by entering and remaining in the body. This is a pro-vaccine site.

The vaccine is given intramuscularly. I'm not sure we are contradicting each other. The main difference between this method and iv into bloodstream is that the materials are digested differently and do not have access to the blood brain barrier as many anti vaxxers use as a reason to not vaccinate. It's just inaccurate to say the materials are injected into the bloodstream.

sky

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 11:32 pm
amother wrote:

I’m confused. 1979 is the last case of polio in United States that wasn’t a traveler.
When did your child have it?

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 11:33 pm
southernbubby wrote:

The components of the vaccine do not remain in the body.

The vaccines inject weakened pathogens into your body. Your body then launches an attack against them, killing them off, thereby creating antibodies for the particular disease. It is those antibodies that remain in your body and provide lifelong or long term immunity.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 2:41 am
Sebastian wrote:
I'm guessing you live in CA. It took a pretty major outbreak for you to get there though.

CA was smart enough after the fact. Why didn't more states learn from that outbreak? Will your state learn now? What about Now that NY has its own major outbreak that is affecting multiple cities and has crossed state lines?

How many more need to be exposed and CV infected? It's not just healthy adults or adolescents who can hope to fight it off (but may suffer irreparable harm like one poster mentioned her hearing). It can infect elderly grandparents. Newborn infants. Cancer patients. Organ Transplant recipients who are immunosuppressant drugs. Or people you may not realize are ill and are on medication for autoimmune conditions and other diseases that the medications hurt their immunity like juvenile arthritis, lupus...

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 7:30 am
amother wrote:
CA was smart enough after the fact. Why didn't more states learn from that outbreak? Will your state learn now? What about Now that NY has its own major outbreak that is affecting multiple cities and has crossed state lines?

How many more need to be exposed and CV infected? It's not just healthy adults or adolescents who can hope to fight it off (but may suffer irreparable harm like one poster mentioned her hearing). It can infect elderly grandparents. Newborn infants. Cancer patients. Organ Transplant recipients who are immunosuppressant drugs. Or people you may not realize are ill and are on medication for autoimmune conditions and other diseases that the medications hurt their immunity like juvenile arthritis, lupus...

We elderly grandparents have been told by our health departments that we are considered immune and don't need to do anything further. Are they giving us bad advice?

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 7:37 am
I also think that the approach to both vaccines and groups of anti-vaxers has to change. There is very little trust today in the medical industry because it is an industry and certain compromises may need to be made in order to make it possible for more children to be immunized. I can't elaborate on the phone.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 9:27 am
southernbubby wrote:
We elderly grandparents have been told by our health departments that we are considered immune and don't need to do anything further. Are they giving us bad advice?

Immunity from vaccine or actual illness only confers in about 97% of times. So even if "considered immune" it isn't a guarantee of some sort. And the elderly will have a harder time fighting it off.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 9:42 am
southernbubby wrote:
I don't have much internet here today in sunny tropical Monsey but I looked up the Laine verses Ohelei Torah case. The Laines based their case on the fact that their religious rights to an exemption was being denied and the judge ruled that private schools don't have to accept religious exemption.

What happened to your internet... Smile
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics