Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Mayim Bialik is frum?!?!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:05 am
amother wrote:
Franticfrummie, who ever started this thread & everyone posting a reply is discussing people, not just me, so I guess we all have small minds including you.

Actually, she’s right. I’m leaving this discussion now.
Thanks FF for the gentle mussar!

Amarante

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:12 am
I've never seen any of the shows she has been in but I know she is an Orthodox Jew and has made concessions in her career for her beliefs.

Honestly my knowledge of her is based on reading magazines at the manicurist and also looking at pictures of celebrities at events when they are dressed up. She is very into the natural movement and I think she is a vegan. Based on pictures when she shows up at events, her clothing is extremely tzunias by all but the most extreme standards - her evening gowns have sleeves; don't show décolletage and are not form fitting.

I was also surprised when I read she had a PHD in neurobiology or some other very tough discipline - not because she is a woman or frum but because it was such a contrast to what most child stars do. First that her parents made her learn enough while she was a child star so she was able to get into a prestigious college and had the discipline to major in such a hard subject AND get a PHD in it - most child stars have parents who just exploit the kids and don't think about their future beyond being a paycheck as a child star. There is another young female star who was in The Wonder Years - Danica McKellar who got an advanced degree in mathematics after the series went off the air. Again, kudos to both her and her parents for making sure that she was well rounded.

Last edited by Amarante on Mon, Dec 10 2018, 11:15 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:22 am
Amarante, search online there are just a many non tzenuis pictures of her as tzenuis ones. Many non frum and non Jewish women wear skirts and long sleeves.

Amarante

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
Amarante, search online there are just a many non tzenuis pictures of her as tzenuis ones. Many non frum and non Jewish women wear skirts and long sleeves.

Again, she would be considered to dress modestly by many people.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:29 am
Well, I don't call modest a women wearing nothing but a leather jacket with her boobs sticking out. I dont call modest a women wearing a strapless dress with a slit going all the way up. I dont call modest a women wearing tank tops in public. I'm sorry, but this is not how a frum women dresses.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:46 am
amother wrote:
Franticfrummie, who ever started this thread & everyone posting a reply is discussing people, not just me, so I guess we all have small minds including you.

Seriously??

What grade are you in?
Scratching Head

cm

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:46 am
Mayim Bialik has blogged extensively about her dress and deportment as an "observant-ish" (her term) Jew in the television industry. Yes, there have been some compromises. She does not claim to represent all of frum Judaism, but she does manage to live and work according to her beliefs as a strongly committed Jewish woman in an environment where that is not so simple.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 11:11 am
amother wrote:
Shes Jewish but definitely not frum. A frum women does not act in a TV show and movies. A frum women does not go dressed like a secular/non Jewish women. One can not know shes Jewish based on how she looks.

Would you then say that Arthur Hill (a"h) wasn't Orthodox because he was also on television? He left Mission Impossible because the filming schedule went into Shabbat. Was almost always pictured behind his desk on Law & Order because he wouldn't walk far without a kippah. But he was on TV.

What about Michal Rand, who starred in Ushpizin.

And pray tell, how can you tell that someone is Jewish based on their attire? Is it like the Mormon Temple Garments or something? No one clued me in; I tend to wear mostly Ann Taylor.

sub

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 11:20 am
naturalmom5 wrote:

Thank you for the video. It was perfect.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 11:21 am
Years ago I went to an event in the 5 towns where Mayim came to speak. She was actually very open about her struggle/limitations with her level of frumkeit. While she tries to keep shabbos, she volunteered that she does work on yom tov.

She will however never wear leather because apparently her commitment to veganism is stronger/ easier for her.

People and their relationships with Hashem should be private and not the business of others. However, that goes out the window when the people themselves make their relationship with Hashem public.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 11:25 am
Amother orchid, I saw a picture of her wearing a leather jacket.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 11:28 am
amother wrote:
Amother orchid, I saw a picture of her wearing a leather jacket.

You saw a picture of her wearing a jacket that appeared to be leather.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:20 pm
It's been said here before but there is the group that people self identify with and then there is the category that others put them in.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:34 pm
So amother ruby, she doesnt wear a genuine leather jacket because she's Frum, but she wears a fake leather jacket open without anything underneath and her boobs sticking out.... that's frum to you?? Wow I'm in awe if this women......

sequoia

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:37 pm
She doesn’t wear leather because she’s vegan.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:
Years ago I went to an event in the 5 towns where Mayim came to speak. She was actually very open about her struggle/limitations with her level of frumkeit. While she tries to keep shabbos, she volunteered that she does work on yom tov.

She will however never wear leather because apparently her commitment to veganism is stronger/ easier for her.

People and their relationships with Hashem should be private and not the business of others. However, that goes out the window when the people themselves make their relationship with Hashem public.

Oh come on, wearing non leather shoes and clothing is no big deal. Keeping shabbos and yom tov and tznius 100% when you are a tv actor is much harder. I know a frum family whose kids are involved in acting. Their kids have done a lot of voice work on cartoons but "real" acting is much harder. Once they hear about shabbos they don't get the part. Obviously once an actor is famous they will to some extent work around your meshugassen but not for an unknown.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:16 pm
Are we really dogging her wardrobe? What about the wardrobe and actions of our favorite from Jew, Ivanka Trump? Or does she get away with it because she's a Trump?

Every person is different, the judgement here is staggering.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:22 pm
Ivanka Trump is not frum by any stretch. She's Jewish by marriage, nothing more. She doesn't keep anything.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:24 pm
amother wrote:
Ivanka Trump is not frum by any stretch. She's Jewish by marriage, nothing more. She doesn't keep anything.

Not true. She has a kosher kitchen which she takes very seriously. That's about it.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:
So amother ruby, she doesnt wear a genuine leather jacket because she's Frum, but she wears a fake leather jacket open without anything underneath and her boobs sticking out.... that's frum to you?? Wow I'm in awe if this women......

to me??? Huh?

MB posts on social media that she is vegan - and her veganism extends beyond what she eats.

MB posts on social media about Judaism.

MB does not post on social media that she is 'frum'.

If some vegan group wants to go after her for calling herself 'vegan' while wearing a jacket that looks like leather - let them.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics