Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
For those who don’t use a plastic on the Shabbos table
1  2  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:00 am
I like the non-plastic look and I enjoy setting a nice table.
However I need some advice on how to get all the crumbs off after the meal.
I try to brush them all off but it takes a while and many crumbs stay.

Any good idea?

rgr

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:06 am
You can try this

Deluxe Improved Stainless Steel Crumb Scraper with Nickel Plated Clip https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D.....47QVP

Iymnok

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:07 am
Change the tablecloth.
Put a saucer in the center of the table. Hold two corners of the tablecloth and have someone else hold the other two. Shake them vigorously and most of the crumbs should bounce onto the saucer.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:12 am
Can you not just shake it out into the garbage can?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:14 am
I just use a napkin to gather all the crumbs. Works for me. Maybe depends what type of tablecloth you have.

Rappel

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:19 am
Iymnok wrote:
Change the tablecloth.
Put a saucer in the center of the table. Hold two corners of the tablecloth and have someone else hold the other two. Shake them vigorously and most of the crumbs should bounce onto the saucer.

If you moisten the saucer, then all the crumbs stick to it. Works like a charm!

abound

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:27 am
take a dishtowel and roll it up and use that, it works the best.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:31 am
abound wrote:
take a dishtowel and roll it up and use that, it works the best.

Yup - towel. I do this after my kids crawl into my bed dragging a crumb or dirt with them (why don't they wear the slippers I buy them lol). Only thing that really works.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:33 am
I change the tablecloth after every meal, and shake it outside. (I only use tablecloths on shabbat, so that's 2 or 3 tablecloths a week).

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:38 am
New tablecloth. Somebody’s always spilled or splattered so it’s not just a crumb thing.

dee's mommy

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:11 am
Shake out the table cloth out the back door and put it in the laundry. Then set out another table cloth.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:26 am
I use a crumb catcher. It's a little handheld box with a roller brush inside. Mine is over 30 years old and the box is made of cheap plastic. Amazingly, it still works well.

Links to similar:
https://handyhousewares.com/pr.....tcher

https://www.amazon.com/Fuller-.....41VP9

studying_torah

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 2:12 pm
How do you prevent stains without plastic tablecloths?
Some of the shabbos food is oily or juice and I'm nervous the stains will set by time shabbos is over & I can spray it.

cm

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 2:22 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Some of the shabbos food is oily or juice and I'm nervous the stains will set by time shabbos is over & I can spray it.

Microfiber table cloths are easy to keep clean. Liquids bead up and can be wiped up easily. I have not found that stains set before Shabbat is over.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 2:40 pm
I find if I shake it into the garbage can all the crumbs fly all over my floor .
Shake it outside- I always knew you were not allowed to throw crumbs on the floor am I right with that?

Also, if it is stained then I will obviously change it.
But we do have adult kids so it mostly stays clean except for crumbs.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 2:47 pm
studying_torah wrote:

I’ve never used a plastic tablecloth for shabbos. Is everyone talking about vinyl tablecloths? I use those on tables during pesach to go between my table and the pesadik tablecloth. I wouldn’t use a vinyl tablecloth for Shabbat.

I use cloth and find that stains don’t set. I spray oxyclean on any stains motzei Shabbat and haven’t had issues yet - with oil or grape juice.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 4:11 pm
I have some of the easy care ones (like the Lennox or whatever) but they ended up yellowed from stains.
I got 2 new fancier ones in other fabrics so I should prob stick w plastic. Not as nice but I don't want to ruin these.

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 4:27 pm
amother wrote:
Shake it outside- I always knew you were not allowed to throw crumbs on the floor am I right with that?

Please don't do this! You will attract mice and other vermin and you will have a very hard time getting rid of them once they set up camp on your property.

4everhappy

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 4:35 pm
Get a crumber

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 4:35 pm
I use colored tablecloths, not white, and at least in some have not found staining to be a problem.

My regular tablecloth is this 70/30 cotton-poly blend Lenox: https://www.amazon.com/Lenox-L.....;th=1

and for milchiks this nearly indestructible microfiber tablecloth: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c.....NDIGO
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics