Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
DIY bookkeeping

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 1:38 pm
I need some book keeping accounting advice.

DH is starting a new service based business so lots of expenses and billing invoices.
We also own a few rental properties.
Until now DH has kept paper ledgers with detailed records of those properties and summarized it for our accountant.
He also did a few service calls but just made his own manual invoices.

We are now trying to figure out the best way to transfer all this to software, especially because the service part is becoming more complicated - especially the taxes part of it.

Is quick books the best way to go?
I’m very computer savvy but never worked with quick books. Is this something better to hire someone to do for you - to setup the software for your needs? how would you find someone who does that ? Or can I just do it based on some online tutorials?

mommyhood

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 2:16 pm
Quick books is user friendly but I definitely recommend getting someone to help set you up and teach you the basics.
I know there are people who do this where I live. If you want to post where you live maybe someone will have a recommendation.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 2:25 pm
amother wrote:
I need some book keeping accounting advice.

DH is starting a new service based business so lots of expenses and billing invoices.
We also own a few rental properties.
Until now DH has kept paper ledgers with detailed records of those properties and summarized it for our accountant.
He also did a few service calls but just made his own manual invoices.

We are now trying to figure out the best way to transfer all this to software, especially because the service part is becoming more complicated - especially the taxes part of it.

Is quick books the best way to go?
I’m very computer savvy but never worked with quick books. Is this something better to hire someone to do for you - to setup the software for your needs? how would you find someone who does that ? Or can I just do it based on some online tutorials?

wow paper ledgers! that's amazing.

I would ask your accountant if he (she?) has been transferring the manual records into quickbooks to do his reporting for you. If so - ask for a copy of it.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 3:30 pm
For rental properties look into AppFolio or other property management software. Also look into quicken for home and business. There is an option for rental properties there.
From experience and learning the hard way, it is so beyond important that the books are kept properly by someone who know what s/he is doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 4:19 pm
amother wrote:
For rental properties look into AppFolio or other property management software. Also look into quicken for home and business. There is an option for rental properties there.
From experience and learning the hard way, it is so beyond important that the books are kept properly by someone who know what s/he is doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Appfolio is minimum 50 properties. We only have 6.

I’ll look into quicken.

Yes paper ledgers were never made digital. DH just gives accountant total expenses, mortgage and rental income.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics