Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Moisturizer

amother

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 12:15 pm
It's winter now and my face is like peeling. I try to wash my face just with water and the flakiness just comes right back. I need MOISTURIZER!!
What can be done?
I put on moisturizer friday night right before licht bentchin but it does not last.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 12:17 pm
use vaseline before shabbos, it lasts longer and heals quicker

cindy324

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 12:20 pm
You've got to use the moisturizer religiously, daily, or preferably twice daily. It'll build up hydration in your skin, and now in the winter, it's especially important.

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 12:51 pm
If you have far to walk to shul this time of year, the weather can wreak havoc on your skin, especially if it is prone to dryness anyway. Indoor heating also zaps moisture. I used to be in the cosmetics/tioletries industry, and I found that Crabtree and Evelyn's Swiss Skincare line had some great moisturizers, and that Clinique's Dramatically Different moisturizer (their yellow stuff!) can help your complexion stand up to wintertime woes...

(I just previewed this...reads like an ad...I'm not a paid endorser, I just know what's worked for me Wink !)

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 1:34 pm
you can get Shabobs moisturizers, too.

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 6:20 pm
I'm in an area of the country where I have to order things like that online...any suggestions? (We walk over a mile and sometimes my face actually is so windburnt it bleeds.)

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 9:28 am
I have the same problem. I use cliniques yellow moisturizer. It doesn't seem to be helping. Literally 2 mins after I put it on it's flaky again.

RedRuby

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 11:09 am
drinking water also helps...skin needs more hydration

water + daily and nightly moistrizer should help.

leomom

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 11:18 am
On Shabbos I use oil for moisturizer (hands and face). A light oil like safflower, etc., works great. I actually prefer oil to lotion and use it throughout the week! No extra ingredients - skin just drinks it right in.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 11:27 am
He*Sings*To*Me wrote:
If you have far to walk to shul this time of year, the weather can wreak havoc on your skin, especially if it is prone to dryness anyway. Indoor heating also zaps moisture. I used to be in the cosmetics/tioletries industry, and I found that Crabtree and Evelyn's Swiss Skincare line had some great moisturizers, and that Clinique's Dramatically Different moisturizer (their yellow stuff!) can help your complexion stand up to wintertime woes...

(I just previewed this...reads like an ad...I'm not a paid endorser, I just know what's worked for me Wink !)

it sure does sound like an advertisement ... hey maybe you could get paid ...

anyways moisturizers several times a day is the way to go ...

clean & clear - dual action moisturizer - it's oil-free so prevents breakouts which sometimes I get from regular lotions ... although I use others as well ...

gold21

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 11:52 am
1. Try a cleanser that adds moisture back to the skin instead of just stripping it out. I believe Olay had some good products for this purpose.

2. dont wash in very warm water. heat can strip your skin of moisture. use lukewarm water to wash.

3. when you put on moisturizer, slather it on. put on a nice amount of it.

Good Luck!

louche

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 1:09 pm
Cover your face with a scarf when you go outside in cold weather. You may not like the way you look with a scarf over your face, but do you like the way you look with your skin peeling off?

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 4:23 pm
yy- don't u break out from pure oil on your face???

I wash my face with cold water.
I slather it on, no problem there.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 10:09 pm
I'm a skin care consultant and I work with my clients who have dryer skin on GENTLE daily exfoliating (between cleansing and moisturizing) AND daily HYDRATING along with daily moisturizing. A hydrator and a moisturizer work with 2 different segments of the skin--- the dermis and the epidermis.

For those who need more than gentle DAILY exfoliation, I recommend microdermabrasion twice a week.

Doing a twice daily routine of cleansing, GENTLE exfoliation, moisturizing, and maybe hydrating if needed, AND adding in microdermabrasion twice a week, you SHOULD be able to go 25 hours without reapplying moisturizer and be ok.

But please don't put vaseline and/or pure oil on your face--- those of you who are doing it and have not had major skin problems are just LUCKY.

RivkiA--- is Clinique's product a moisturizer, or a hydrator? You may need a bit of both.

Of course you can PM me for free samples and advice, but I'm probably not allowed to post my website here, so PM me if you want a personal skin care consultant.

faigie

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 11:16 am
the clinique stuff wont do you a bit of good for such a serious condition. you might have a product called eucerin in the drug store, you can try the one in the jar, NOT the lotion in the bottle.
for cleaning you can try something very very gentle , again in the drug store, physoderm.
as far as protection for your face, what with that mile long hike, I know this sounds kinda not exactly stylish, but id buy a balaclava ( hsn.com has them in feminine colors) so that your face is protected.
(im a makeup artist, and this stuff is what I recommend for my clients.) for your lips, use vaseline at night. low tech, but after a few nights, the old skin on your lips will peel off and you should have new supple skin underneath.
the eucerin will work for your hands and feet as well. if your feet still look awful, try applying Barielle total foot care cream at night, and your hands will get a treatment themselves as you apply the cream to your feet.

Last edited by faigie on Wed, Dec 12 2007, 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 12:11 pm
RivkiA wrote:
yy- don't u break out from pure oil on your face???

Although I have personally never done it, I learnt that a natural oil is absorbed by the body, so its not prone to cause adverse reactions by the body trying to "defend" itself against that type of oil's topical application to the skin. Mineral Oil is a refined product, and the body perceives it as a foreign substance invading the body through the skin's surface, so it fights it and that is supposedly one reason for the breakouts when using products with mineral oil or petroleum jelly. Another reason that natural oils work is that they are absorbed by the skin, whereas refined oils clog!

loveit

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 12:24 pm
I also have very dry skin and the shabbos moisturizers aren't strong enough for me. So on shabbos, I jsut don't wash my face at night. I'd rather have my skin be a little bit oily (not noticable) than too dry and peeling. It's the worst feeling when that happens to your skin, esp since it doesn't always heal right away.

For my dry skin, I found that washing with proactive face wash at night and then immediately putting Ahava smoothing moisturizer fr fry skin worked for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions