Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Food stamps fur coats and jewelry
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:22 pm
I have a fur jacket- I think it is real because I inherited it from my grandmother and it is 35 yrs old- looks very trendy and modern now- and when I wear it, I feel like a million bucks.
I also have foodstamps because we need it. We both work and we still qualify. At first I was hesitant to wear the jacket when shopping but then I decided
To heck with all the judgmental people out there. It is freezing cold and it is the only warm coat I own.

And I also own a bugaboo that I bought on Craigslist for $65 - it is 12 years old but a bugaboo nonetheless.

So please don’t judge.

itsmeima

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:35 pm
amother wrote:
What frustrates me more is whole communities that work off the books and collect government benifits but have lots of money to spend on luxuries. It's a way of life.

Ummm, a ”whole community” and you know that how?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:37 pm
I have yet to see ladies in fur coats and fancy jewelry-especially during the week. People keep posting about fur coat ladies but I never bump into any of them.

simba

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:40 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I have yet to see ladies in fur coats and fancy jewelry-especially during the week. People keep posting about fur coat ladies but I never bump into any of them.

I saw more then one shopping in Gourmet Glatt in BP today. Was thinking how cute it was. Doubt they were paying with food stamps though. The burka wearing Muslim women in line before me did pay with her benefits card.

Let’s look for another reason to talk LH though!

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:42 pm
simba wrote:
I saw more then one shopping in Gourmet Glatt in BP today. Was thinking how cute it was. Doubt they were paying with food stamps though. The burka wearing Muslim women in line before me did pay with her benefits card.

Burkas? interesting.

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:43 pm
I think this is a great conversation to have, with one caveat. Please edit the part where you make blanket statements about entire communities.
Ok, so there are two different issues here. The first one is that the way it works is that many people get kalla jewelry, a nice shtufir, silver, etc and then get married. They don’t have an education, make tops 2000$ a month, husband is in kollel and rent (in Brooklyn at least) is 1800$ a month. Then have 3 kids in 3 years... you get the picture. So yes, those people may be on food stamps and need it desperately, yet they still have their shtufir and kallah jewelry. They are not at fault, and you judging them is unfair as you can’t know their current situation.
But that doesn’t mean everyone is innocent. Sadly, I know of people who are currently buying (not getting as a present) expensive brand name things (not on sale), and living an extremely luxurious lifestyle while on food stamps. That is pretty bad. And unfortunate. That’s why I like the government’s idea about picking up boxes of food instead (hope they wud make sure to have kosher too though).
But just to differentiate, there is a difference in owning a bugaboo that your mother in law bought you, and you yourself buying luxuries.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:44 pm
simba wrote:

They were probably over 50 then.

And I agree regarding the lh thing. The thread was reported but I guess the mod is sleeping already.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:45 pm
itsmeima wrote:
Ummm, a ”whole community” and you know that how?

Because I live in the community. People getting benefits have plenty of money for luxuries like vacations and marrying off their kids in style.

Government benefits are not there to subsidize luxuries. Community standards are high with a lot of pressure to dress the kids in matching outfits ams italian shoes.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:47 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I am not sure why anyone would buy diamonds and furs if the Walmart fakes look just the same.

I can spot fake diamonds and low quality diamonds.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:
Because I live in the community. People getting benefits have plenty of money for luxuries like vacations and marrying off their kids in style.

Government benefits are not there to subsidize luxuries. Community standards are high with a lot of pressure to dress the kids in matching outfits ams italian shoes.

I promise you that it’s far from everyone!!!

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:52 pm
amother wrote:
I promise you that it’s far from everyone!!!

It's more than half. It is considerable.

The ones that don't collect benefits get taxable income because they work for big companies like New York Life. Most get cash or part cash or their bills paid with credit cards.

Ravenclaw

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 12:10 am
Btw shouldn’t this be in “issues of concern” because I think interesting discussions is public no?

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 12:22 am
We can be dan lekaf zchut because we realize some of these people may be penniless and just donning expensive kallah gifts.
The rest of the world doesnt know that. They are not familiar with the tradition where the penniless are decked out in finery.

Therefore, to avoid chilul hashem, women should never wear fur, ostentatious diamonds, or luxury brands when using food stamps.

You can wear your small diamond studs. Leave the rest at home. (And to the other poster, no one is mistaking a $10 Walmart faux fur for the real thing).

chanie18

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 2:00 am
Because of the way that the frum community as a whole uses benefits, we now have to fight for the chinuch of our children.[/quote][/quote]

Circular logic

We're fighting for chinuch, because so many are on benefits...
They're on benefits... because they need them
They need them because they dont get paid much...
Because they dont have a proper education...
So, why are we fighting for this chinuch? So more ppl can be on benefits?

Raisin

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 4:06 am
Young people still buy fur coats? If I see one, its on a woman over 60 at least. So I would assume a young woman wearing one inherited it.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 5:45 am
amother wrote:
I can spot fake diamonds and low quality diamonds.

Nobody envies stuff from Walmart. If it's new, then it's not shabby, but it won't fool anyone. SNAP recipients don't have to worry about hostile looks from taxpayers if their "luxuries" are Walmart and thrift store.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 5:51 am
chanie18 wrote:
Because of the way that the frum community as a whole uses benefits, we now have to fight for the chinuch of our children.
[/quote]

Circular logic

So, why are we fighting for this chinuch? So more ppl can be on benefits?[/quote]

If there was less reliance on the government, they might continue to look the other way at what yeshivas teach. One of Yaffed's allegations is that yeshiva education prepares people for a life of being supported by the government.

chanie18

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 5:58 am
southernbubby wrote:
If there was less reliance on the government, they might continue to look the other way at what yeshivas teach. One of Yaffed's allegations is that yeshiva education prepares people for a life of being supported by the government.

Sounds pretty accurate, I agree the govt should get involved

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 6:30 am
chanie18 wrote:
Because of the way that the frum community as a whole uses benefits, we now have to fight for the chinuch of our children.
[/quote]

Circular logic

So, why are we fighting for this chinuch? So more ppl can be on benefits?[/quote]

They "need" benefits because of their luxurious lifestyle. When you pay $50,000 to $70,000 to marry off each kid, go away for Pesach, and dress your kids in matching outfits a normal salary doesn't cover it.

ally

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 6:37 am
Because modesty as a middah and lifestyle has gone out the window to be replaced by modesty which is all about hemlines and s-x.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics