Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Freezing food

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 7:50 pm
I'm trying to get more organized over my vacation and freeze food -- either cooking/baking and freezing, or just freezing raw. However, my freezer is pretty small and I don't have space for much. I don't have room for a second freezer at the moment.

Any suggestions of how to freeze food? It's really a necessity at this point -- I work full time and don't have time to prepare supper every night. Also, I desperately need to have at least some frozen food for Shabbos, because I need to work later on Thursday for the next few weeks.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Jul 10 2019, 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total

dankbar

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:32 pm
Soups that are not too thick, compotes, cakes, meat/chicken in gravy freeze well.

Anything in flaky dough you can prepare raw to bake when ready or rebake it shouldn't be soggy ex. Potato knishes, deli roll, apple turnover.
Lukshen kugel is fine.
Pasta with additions freeze well like pasta with bread crumbs or with sauteed cabbage.
Spaghetti with tomato sauce is fine.
Rice/orzo/farfel you can freeze

You can bread cutlets ready to fry. Clean & prepare sauces for chicken bottoms ready to bake.

precious

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:35 pm
Sounds like you first need to go through and organize your freezer. Whatever you make and freeze now should be consistently sized so you can stack the pans neatly and maximize your space. You can freeze raw cleaned chicken, kugels, challah, etc.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:55 pm
I found the square aluminum pans very space saving. I used it to prepare ready to bake chicken.
chicken cutlets I put in a 9/13 pan layered with parchment paper.
ready to bake/fry ground meat patties in ziplock bags or in square aluminum pan to bake.
same with tuna patties.

I think at that point I stored my soups by my mother, or froze in ziplock bags. I also would often make one big pot of soup and that one soup for the week.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:57 pm
Another thing- I found that when I stored frozen veggies/fruits it would take up to much space and was not worth it- even it was on sale.
also challah takes up a lot of room. (thanks mommy's freezer!)

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 9:01 pm
Ziploc bags. They take up no space unlike containers and pans. Just flatten out, stack and freeze.

etky

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 9:34 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Ziploc bags. They take up no space unlike containers and pans. Just flatten out, stack and freeze.

This. I freeze everything in ziplocs. Casseroles/kugels can be cut into two or more pieces if necessary. I wrap pieces in foil before putting in the bags. Things that can't be wrapped in foil get double-bagged.
Re challah - I freeze dough (also pizza dough) instead of baked challot. Takes up very little space that way and it's still a big time saver.

dankbar

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 1:14 am
There are more threads on freezing food
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics