Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How many people here live frugally?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 7:34 pm
Being frugal means saving where you can so that you can spend on other things that you need/want. I would guess that many people practice this to some extent. When you have less money to work with, you'll have to practice more extreme frugality in order to stay out of debt. My personal level of frugality ranges with my fluctuating income. I don't see a value in practicing more extreme frugality when it's not necessary for me, because there's a level of fatigue that sets in and I find the occasional reprieve to be very necessary.

amother
Navy

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 7:49 pm
My4Jewels wrote:
Um not sure I agree with that. Sure some people who have financial trouble are wasteful. But many people I know have financial trouble because they just don’t bring in enough income to cover the necessities.

But they have more financial troubles because of wasteful spending. It is also a matter of defining needs.

I dealt with bankruptcy clients. They were among the best dressed. My neighbors who rent often have kids dressed in different outfits every Shabbos with their kids having tons of toys.

When we didn't have money, we saved 10% of what we did earn and did without. We didn't need fancy.

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 7:54 pm
amother wrote:
But they have more financial troubles because of wasteful spending. It is also a matter of defining needs.

I dealt with bankruptcy clients. They were among the best dressed. My neighbors who rent often have kids dressed in different outfits every Shabbos with their kids having tons of toys.

When we didn't have money, we saved 10% of what we did earn and did without. We didn't need fancy.

My kids are those kids dressed in different outfits every shabbos and tons of toys.

The outfits all hand me downs from cousins
And toys are built up from year to year chanukah presents ; )

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 8:03 pm
amother wrote:
My kids are those kids dressed in different outfits every shabbos and tons of toys.

you should sell them and give the money for tuition

thunderstorm

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 8:10 pm
amother wrote:

Whoever keeps suggesting this non sense, should know that the amount of money one would earn from selling hand me Downs is so minimal, that it would probably not even cover a full wardrobe from Walmart or Target. So you are left with nothing to put towards tuition, and a headache to sell something for pennies, what's the point?!

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 8:11 pm
I do some of the things on the list, not really because I am actively trying to live frugally. I could be more careful with my money but living frugally is not really my life's goal tbh.

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 8:14 pm
My husband says he respects more the person that drives a 10+ year old car than a person who always drives a new car.

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 8:19 pm
amother wrote:
My husband says he respects more the person that drives a 10+ year old car than a person who always drives a new car.

I respect people for who they are, not for the car they drive.

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 8:21 pm
amother wrote:
I respect people for who they are, not for the car they drive.

Obviously he meant just in regards to the car. Don't worry he doesn't just people by their material processions.

amother
Navy

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 8:23 pm
amother wrote:

You can generally tell hands me downs and when new toys keep appearing. The toys are the expensive type like electric scooters.

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 8:26 pm
amother wrote:
Obviously he meant just in regards to the car. Don't worry he doesn't just people by their material processions.

I understand that. I still think it's an odd reason for someone to earn respect. There are very legitimate reasons for someone who can afford a new car to drive one, and lousy reasons for someone to hold onto a car when he can afford a new one.

(My own car is past the 10 year line, but that's not the point.)

oakandfig19

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 8:33 pm
I’m somewhat frugal but I’m not sure I’d say I do everything on that list. My husband and I both work really long hours so having clean help is kind of a nom negotiable for my sanity. I don’t strictly buy things on sale but I try to limit meat/chicken during the week. I’m not always looking for the best deals or coupons mainly because I just don’t have enough time. But I tru to do what I can to save money while also feeling emotionally healthy.

southernbubby

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 8:57 pm
oakandfig19 wrote:
I’m somewhat frugal but I’m not sure I’d say I do everything on that list. My husband and I both work really long hours so having clean help is kind of a nom negotiable for my sanity. I don’t strictly buy things on sale but I try to limit meat/chicken during the week. I’m not always looking for the best deals or coupons mainly because I just don’t have enough time. But I tru to do what I can to save money while also feeling emotionally healthy.

Coupons often cause people to waste time and money and not all bargains are really bargains. I once started a thread called "when bargains are not bargains".

Obviously not all frugal strategies work for all situations, nor do they all save lots of money. Everyone has to do what actually saves money for them.
An example is that I fly economy when using El Al but I am becoming wary of allowing Zeidy (my DH) to compromise the circulation in his legs. It isn't a bargain if it causes chas v sholem a blood clot. I may not be able to safely save money on those flights.

The same thing is when people buy cheap garbage that no one in the house will eat or wear or use. No money is saved.

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 9:02 pm
amother wrote:
I understand that. I still think it's an odd reason for someone to earn respect. There are very legitimate reasons for someone who can afford a new car to drive one, and lousy reasons for someone to hold onto a car when he can afford a new one.

(My own car is past the 10 year line, but that's not the point.)

That's true but the majority of people that always buy/lease new cars don't need one. It doesn't work the other way meaning that some people who drive older cars need to financially and some don't but make a smart financial decision and keep an older car.

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 9:12 pm
amother wrote:
That's true but the majority of people that always buy/lease new cars don't need one. It doesn't work the other way meaning that some people who drive older cars need to financially and some don't but make a smart financial decision and keep an older car.

Sometimes it's cheaper to.lease a car than to buy. I know many ppl who are frugal and have little money yet need a reliable car that won't break down on them and therefore lease. You can lease for very cheap nowadays.

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 9:13 pm
We are BH wealthy but live very frugally. (I.e. my neighbor's O&R bill is always around $400+ mine is never above $250 in the same size house). We do not leave lights on, use candles, keep the heat low, barely use a/c in the summer, we have 4 kids and I've only purchased 5 new pieces of clothing for them, buy everything second hand and have a pretty cheap car lease. That being said, I do have a live in housekeeper and a nanny 9:00-3:00 because without that we would not be able to work. I haven't bought myself more than 3 items in the last year, etc. and I have a budget which I don't exceed.

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 9:14 pm
amother wrote:
Sometimes it's cheaper to.lease a car than to buy. I know many ppl who are frugal and have little money yet need a reliable car that won't break down on them and therefore lease. You can lease for very cheap nowadays.

Banging head

No, this is not true. It may be more convenient but it's almost never cheaper. Please read the other thread in case you missed it (tuition) for the entire explanation.

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 9:16 pm
amother wrote:
Banging head

No, this is not true. It may be more convenient but it's almost never cheaper. Please read the other thread in case you missed it (tuition) for the entire explanation.

Please link the thread and where it says that. Yes it is cheaper if your car is older and needs more work to it. A leased car is new and by the time three years are up and you give it back it usually doesn't need any work done to it besides regular wear and tear.

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 9:21 pm
amother wrote:

Are you seriously suggesting I should sell hand me downs that I got from my sister's kids?????

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 9:25 pm
amother wrote:
You can generally tell hands me downs and when new toys keep appearing. The toys are the expensive type like electric scooters.

Your right about the electric scooters, but on the clothes u can never tell that they are hand me downs
People always ask me where I shop..
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics