Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
DD, 12, going to camp 1st time. What shtick does she need
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 5:28 pm
ok. Im in the same boat. DD is 12 and going to camp maarava for the first time. whats the "shtick" there? Whats worn, or not worn?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 5:59 pm
amother wrote:
So they can afford thousands of dollars for camp, but not the $10 difference between plain and cute sheets?

Some people get financial assistance for these camps, there’s no need to be rude or sarcastic about this.

tweek

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 6:41 pm
OP, I get you and I think you are doing the right thing. Most girls get the hang of it after the first year, but it is smart to at least get the picture beforehand.

I remember being so thankful that my cousins told me to bring the little baskets everyone used to keep their things separate in their cubbies (was before the days that everyone brought drawers). I would never have known how to set up my things otherwise.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 6:48 pm
I wish my mother had been so aware of this! For a girl who isn't necessarily confident or very social, it's such a relief to fit in as much as possible. Even once I started camp, I didn't necessarily remember from one summer to the next what "fitting in" entailed. I'm sorry I don't have any practical advice, since my own girls aren't that age yet. Just wanted to pat you on the back for thinking ahead.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 6:50 pm
Anyone know what girls at Camp Kolos do? My 12 year old is going for the first time too?

cnc

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 6:51 pm
Shimi did a camp tour and went to a few places last year.

nicole81

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 7:27 pm
My oldest dd has gone to 3 different camps. Tutus were a thing at all of them. Not for every day, but they often have night activities where the girls where them, wear glow sticks, face paint, etc. DD also said funky knee socks are a thing and she also asked me to buy clothing specifically in the camp colors for color war.

Plastic drawers are a must as well, and she likes to have a trendy decorative pillow for her bed (with her regular plain linens). She's also been to a camp where everyone brought a mini fridge (she did not). But it helps to ask the division head when you find out their info.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 7:41 pm
nicole81 wrote:
My oldest dd has gone to 3 different camps. Tutus were a thing at all of them. Not for every day, but they often have night activities where the girls where them, wear glow sticks, face paint, etc. DD also said funky knee socks are a thing and she also asked me to buy clothing specifically in the camp colors for color war.

Plastic drawers are a must as well, and she likes to have a trendy decorative pillow for her bed (with her regular plain linens). She's also been to a camp where everyone brought a mini fridge (she did not). But it helps to ask the division head when you find out their info.

WADR, I wouldn't rely on division heads. They're going to tell you that there's plenty of storage and that drawers aren't allowed (even though every kid will have them). And that they just need skirts and tees (even if every girl has whatever else they all bring).

Have her talk to other girls who went there. And talk to their parents.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 7:45 pm
OP, I am with you 100%. I am not the type to know what’s “in,” so I have to do a lot of research in the beginning. I do think you should either share the camp name or ask people you know that have sent there. The “norm” for each camp is different. My DDs go to Chaviva. Second half is more into the tutus than first, but it doesn’t hurt to send one for first half. You can get them on Amazon. Get one in DDs favorite color. I buy cute linen in Target. Most kids do not bring an old set from home or even a new set from home. Kids tend to have a signing pillow, (last yr, a very popular one had reversible sequins on one side and signing in the other side), a cute laundry bag, a plug in fan, toiletry bag, shower caddy. Some have more stuff like a rug and pocket organizer. Google “Bunk Junk.” If you are on Instagram, follow stores like purple bow Teaneck, custom shoppe (Lakewood),
If your DD is going to a camp that allows packages, send some of this stuff that she won’t need right away in a package.
I read a few more posts so I would add as mentioned above, the plastic drawers. Lots of girls also bring a camp chair, like an outdoor chair, made of canvas.
Good luck!

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:34 pm
Camp Director here...

What Chayalle says is true (that different camps tend to have different items that are in) but if you mention to your daughter the things on this thread (t shirts with sequins that go both ways, tutus, light up sneakers or headbands or glow in the dark paraphernalia, signing pillow, plastic drawers, etc....) and have her pick 3+ of those items, she will be fine. She doesn't need to bring every single optional item as long as she brings some (the ones she likes the most). Some other things campers bring that I didn't notice mention brought up yet are ingredients for making slime and also, slides. I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of but she reallllllllly doesn't need all of them (although definitely should have some of them if possible)

She can also call you the first day of camp if she sees everyone has, say, those folding chairs and she didn't bring one. You can order it from Amazon to camp and it should get there in a couple of days...

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:35 pm
amother wrote:
Camp Director here...

What Chayalle says is true (that different camps tend to have different items that are in) but if you mention to your daughter the things on this thread (t shirts with sequins that go both ways, tutus, light up sneakers or headbands or glow in the dark paraphernalia, signing pillow, plastic drawers, etc....) and have her pick 3+ of those items, she will be fine. She doesn't need to bring every single optional item as long as she brings some (the ones she likes the most). Some other things campers bring that I didn't notice mention brought up yet are ingredients for making slime and also, slides. I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of but she reallllllllly doesn't need all of them (although definitely should have some of them if possible)

She can also call you the first day of camp if she sees everyone has, say, those folding chairs and she didn't bring one. You can order it from Amazon to camp and it should get there in a couple of days...

What are slides?

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:37 pm
OP here..where do I buy sequin t shirts???

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:46 pm
amother wrote:
What are slides?

open toe slippers/sandals

https://www.amazon.com/UGG-Gir.....;th=1

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:47 pm
amother wrote:
open toe slippers/sandals

https://www.amazon.com/UGG-Gir.....;th=1

Natives are out?

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:48 pm
amother wrote:
OP here..where do I buy sequin t shirts???

https://www.target.com/p/girls.....aw.ds

the bottom of the page I linked has a million more. But it doesn't have to be tshirts, it can be pillows (they're at amazing savings often for really cheap), backpacks... there are a lot of things that come with the sequins that move back and forth and change colors...

goforit

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:05 pm
amother wrote:
https://www.target.com/p/girls-flip-sequins-pullover-cat-jack-153-blue-l/-/A-53638546?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Kids%2BShopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Kids&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9003473&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1246984&ds_rl=1246978&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Kids+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Kids&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9003473&gclid=Cj0KCQiA37HhBRC8ARIsAPWoO0wnkMiMp1WrjXPQce4vvgjd3WENEC5m0kNgQYcEjDPDmaK325I8L_caAvbbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

the bottom of the page I linked has a million more. But it doesn't have to be tshirts, it can be pillows (they're at amazing savings often for really cheap), backpacks... there are a lot of things that come with the sequins that move back and forth and change colors...

Not so sure the sequence are still a thing.
Usally these things don't last 2 years.
Each year its something else.
Good luck

Last edited by goforit on Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total

nicole81

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:56 pm
amother wrote:
Natives are out?
DD has been in adidas slides (and a no name furry one from amazon) for the past 2 years.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:01 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Why not? I just bought my DD long sleeve tee shirts on sale for the summer. They will likely not have them at all - forget about the price - come June.

If you dont mind answering, where did you buy them? If it was online can you please share? Thanks. I am looking for dd and cant find

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:01 pm
amother wrote:
If you dont mind answering, where did you buy them? If it was online can you please share? Thanks. I am looking for dd and cant find

Zara is having a sale now.

champion

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 7:52 am
I think its weird how everybody is pouncing on OP.
In general, Chinuch is teaching a child how to handle life, Going to a new camp can be a huge learning experience for a child about how to handle new crowds.
Anybody with decent emotional health knows that the best way to handle a new crowd is to first find out what is excepted in that circle and what the consequeces are for not following the norm. once you are armed with that information, you can make an informed decision whether you choose to follow the norm or not.
A good parent will help a child through this process.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children