Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What’s the most you make without a degree
Previous  1  2  3  4

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 10:25 pm
crust wrote:
I dont think he's an official scientist or was hired by a lab.

He works for Jewish organizations like Bonei Olam ATime and Dor Yeshorim.

Correct. He works for an organization and helps people but he's not a scientist and not receiving a salary from a lab or any other medical institution.

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 10:31 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Correct. He works for an organization and helps people but he's not a scientist and not receiving a salary from a lab or any other medical institution.

He coauthors genetic research papers.

(but doesn't make a living out of it - so in a conversation about making money from a profession - its obscures the facts)

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 9:30 pm
ra_mom wrote:

He no longer volunteers through Bonei Olam.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 8:54 pm
amother wrote:
How do you become a scientist without a degree?

A scientist by definition needs many years of study in whatever scientific field they are involved in.

If you look at any statistical breakdown of income/salaries based on level of education, people with degrees will make more in their lifetimes than those without a degree.

And men will make more statistically because there is still discrimination and because women take breaks in the critical years and can never catch up - not to mention that they don't have wives to help pick up slack.

Yes there are outliers - in any breakdown, there will be someone with a fourth grade education who is a millionaire and someone with a PHD who is impoverished. And some fields are more immediately lucrative than others. But the reality is for the typical person, a degree is the best investment one can make to ensure economic stability in one's lifetime and someone without a degree starts out immediately disadvantage in the work force.

Sadly, I am afraid that I am that outlier... I have a PhD in the social sciences, but I started later in life, and in my field, unless you have a post Doc and many publications (I have some), your chances of getting an academic position are slim. As a frum person, and a mother, relocating for an academic job that just opened in Alabama (for example) is not as easy as it is for my secular/ non-Jewish / single, younger peers. It is very frustrating. I can still apply for a lecturer position, that is not a 'publish or perish' kind of deal, but when you are not bringing in significant grants,(and you are not Black or Hispanic) universities are not as interested, and accordingly, there are much fewer lecturer positions (with an emphasis on teaching rather than research), and those that are available only pay about 55k. After taxes, and contribution towards health care, what's left is meager... I do not know if I should even apply. I do have a part-time private practice, but it takes time to develop, and for people to get to know you. My goal is to help people as best and as fast as I can, instead of making them depend on my services. This means that every several months, I need to get new clients (when the previous ones are thankfully better!). A stream of constant referrals is not easy to come by. Although Hashem gifted me with many talents, making money does not seem to be one of them. A part of me is tired of always trying so hard. The story of the MAN in the Midbar is an important theme in my life. When my Emuna gets strong enough, things shall Bh come to me. I do not know how or when, but I believe, and I remind myself daily of all that I do have, and I am grateful. Perhaps this is one of my Nisyonos in life, to struggle financially.If this is so, I accept Hashem's will without questioning. However, I do not believe in suffering needlessly, and if anyone has pertinent ideas for me about fields or jobs that may be applicable, even if it means somewhat of a different direction -- I am very open to hear. Thanks!

forever21

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 9:31 pm
Chaim jalas no longer works for bonei olam??
He is a self taught genius . No degree but knows a LOT. Doctors have said he knows as much , if not more ,than them (who actually went through medical school )

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 9:54 pm
I was making 37k mostly off the books for a part time job.
Now I have a masters in the field and I can start at 50k for a full day until 5. On the books. (the on/off books is legal for this field and just depends on who is hiring)
So I don't think I'm better off with my fancy expensive degree

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 9:59 pm
amother wrote:
Now I have a masters in the field and I can start at 50k for a full day until 5. On the books. (the on/off books is legal for this field and just depends on who is hiring)

Off the books means no one is declaring this income for tax purposes. Is that your intended use? Or do you mean employee of the company vs independent contractor?

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 10:00 pm
amother wrote:

How is off the books legal for any field?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 11:19 am
The most u can earn without degree is 32 bucks an hour. Yearly income depends on amount of hour you work per day. With a degree I can double that income.
BTW getting a degree would not make me more skilled in my field, its just a certificate. So annoying

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 11:33 am
amother wrote:
The most u can earn without degree is 32 bucks an hour. Yearly income depends on amount of hour you work per day. With a degree I can double that income.
BTW getting a degree would not make me more skilled in my field, its just a certificate. So annoying

Not in every field.

My husband works with men who are making 150k to 200k a year. No degree. They are not frum - not even Jewish. They started off working as janitors and moved up the ladder slowly. So it's possible.

But.... as everyone keeps reminding me here over and over again, these are statistical outliers. The median income for those with a degree is generally higher than for those without a degree. But to say it's not possible? Nah.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics