Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshiva's in Israel

stephjos2

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 1:21 pm
I have a 12th grade boy who wants to go to Israel next year, he is a frum boy who wears black and white, a hat for davening and just a good kid. He wants to learn when it is learning time but when its not time to learn he loves to play basketball, schmooze with friends about sports and after learning in Yeshiva get a college education in a Lander's college for men environment. Does anyone have knowledge about the following Yeshiva's
Yeshrei Lev
Toras Simcha
Mercaz

I need him to be in a place where the rebbe's take care of the boys ( we have no family in Israel ) and a place that they help place for the chagim if needed.
My older son went to Ner Israel for 2 years and now he is in a frum pre- med program.
I am just beyond confused
Any and all help is much appreciated!

Mollie

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 4:53 pm
My son is in Mercaz and loves it. He is having an amazing year BH. And yes, the Yeshiva sounds perfect for him based on how you described what he is looking for.

stephjos2

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 4:57 pm
Mollie,

Thank you so much for your reply. Do the rebbe's help boys who don't have family find a place to eat for the chagim? Do they allow a smart phone to keep in touch with their mothers? I just want him to be able to call me on whatsapp. I don't care about anything else on a smart phone.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:03 pm
stephjos2 wrote:
I have a 12th grade boy who wants to go to Israel next year, he is a frum boy who wears black and white, a hat for davening and just a good kid. He wants to learn when it is learning time but when its not time to learn he loves to play basketball, schmooze with friends about sports and after learning in Yeshiva get a college education in a Lander's college for men environment. Does anyone have knowledge about the following Yeshiva's
Yeshrei Lev
Toras Simcha
Mercaz

I need him to be in a place where the rebbe's take care of the boys ( we have no family in Israel ) and a place that they help place for the chagim if needed.
My older son went to Ner Israel for 2 years and now he is in a frum pre- med program.
I am just beyond confused
Any and all help is much appreciated!

welcome to imamother, stehjos2!
I am also in that parsha!
!) most important: ask his rebbeim which of your shortlist is the best fit for him
2) speak to parents of guys who are there now or speak to boys who were recently there
3) what is your sons personality? I have heard that mercaz attracts cooler kids, toras simcha apparently attracts kids who are not cool guys and are only 'good' boys but its a similar learning level
4) lookat the websites for yishrei and mercaz, yishreis pics sghow boys who seem a little more modern, you can gauge a lot from pics!
5) if your son has good friends also going to israel next year, you can be assured that he will meet up with them for shabbos , they will visit each others yeshivas and his friends will take him with them when tehy go to family for shabbos.
6) if he goes to toras simcha or mercaxz, they are located in yerushalayim and so he is more likely to meet up with other friends and go out for shabbos meals to young families who you have a connection with from your hometown in chutz laaretz.
7) not sure if any of these places let you have a smartphone and whatsap. for that you might need him to go someplace like Kerem byavneh which is not a 'black hat yeshiva' but it is high level learning and has a great reputation.
good luck.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:05 pm
Mollie wrote:
My son is in Mercaz and loves it. He is having an amazing year BH. And yes, the Yeshiva sounds perfect for him based on how you described what he is looking for.

mollie, are they allowed smartphones at mercaz?

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:15 pm
There are plenty of ways to call internationally for cheap without using whatsapp. I wouldn't base a yeshiva choice on that.

stephjos2

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:15 pm
welcome to imamother, stehjos2!
I am also in that parsha!
!) most important: ask his rebbeim which of your shortlist is the best fit for him
2) speak to parents of guys who are there now or speak to boys who were recently there
3) what is your sons personality? I have heard that mercaz attracts cooler kids, toras simcha apparently attracts kids who are not cool guys and are only 'good' boys but its a similar learning level
4) lookat the websites for yishrei and mercaz, yishreis pics sghow boys who seem a little more modern, you can gauge a lot from pics!
5) if your son has good friends also going to israel next year, you can be assured that he will meet up with them for shabbos , they will visit each others yeshivas and his friends will take him with them when tehy go to family for shabbos.
6) if he goes to toras simcha or mercaxz, they are located in yerushalayim and so he is more likely to meet up with other friends and go out for shabbos meals to young families who you have a connection with from your hometown in chutz laaretz.
7) not sure if any of these places let you have a smartphone and whatsap. for that you might need him to go someplace like Kerem byavneh which is not a 'black hat yeshiva' but it is high level learning and has a great reputation.
good luck.

1 . thank you for the welcome
2. I am meeting IMH with the rebbeim soon
3. I heard that about the Yeshivas like you...My son is not the "cool" kid more the toras Simcha kinda of boy.
4. I thought the same about Yeshrei lev too but 1 rebbe is saying he thinks it a good fit and 1 rebbe is saying to modern...
5. yes my son has friends going to Israel
6. KBY was ruled out and a smart phone is not the criteria for attending a Yeshiva at all I am only thinking of myself.... ( never had a child so far away)
7. thank you so much for all of your thoughts ..I am so glad I feel upon this site by accident.
I am grateful for your thoughts

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:20 pm
stephjos2 wrote:

1 . thank you for the welcome
2. I am meeting IMH with the rebbeim soon
3. I heard that about the Yeshivas like you...My son is not the "cool" kid more the toras Simcha kinda of boy.
4. I thought the same about Yeshrei lev too but 1 rebbe is saying he thinks it a good fit and 1 rebbe is saying to modern...
5. yes my son has friends going to Israel
6. KBY was ruled out and a smart phone is not the criteria for attending a Yeshiva at all I am only thinking of myself.... ( never had a child so far away)
7. thank you so much for all of your thoughts ..I am so glad I feel upon this site by accident.
I am grateful for your thoughts

re: the bolded #4, who knows your son better, the rebbi who thinks its a good fit? or you? I would put that question to the rebbeim who you are meeting with soon...

its so hard when your child is overseas! I did it once before! beleive it or not you get used to it!

stephjos2

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:36 pm
re: the bolded #4, who knows your son better, the rebbi who thinks its a good fit? or you? I would put that question to the rebbeim who you are meeting with soon...

its so hard when your child is overseas! I did it once before! beleive it or not you get used to it!

I am going to ask that exact question to the rebbe.... I daven that Hashem put my son is a Yeshiva that will be good for him...I also daven that I get through the year, this is my "baby" and he is just the best....he always asks me how my day was, if I need help, just a great child and I love seeing his face at my Sahbbos table...but it is about him and not me..again thank you!!!!

Mollie

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:41 pm
The yeshiva is open for the Chagim, so there is always the option to sleep and eat meals in the yeshiva. But yes, the Rebbeim are so warm and friendly, they will definitely help him get set up for meals.

No smartphones, only kosher phone. They will give it back to you during bein hazmanim.

Mollie

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:46 pm
Also, do you mean Toras Chaim? (As opposed to Toras Simcha) It is a break off of Mercaz and the boys there are a little more to the right then Mercaz. The Yeshiva is very popular though, it is very hard to get in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics