Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How do you really clean your cholent pot?
1  2  Next

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 2:57 pm
on Shabbos the cholent is yum but cleaning the pot is just gross. I know I can use a plastic liner but I don't want to. what's the easiest and most pleasant way to clean the pot? any hacks?
no dishwasher at this point.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 2:58 pm
Make a sheet of parchment paper wet so it's pliable and sticks easily and use that to line the crockpot before you start.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 2:59 pm
I empty & scrape the pot right after the meal and fill it with water and dish lotion. After shabbos I scrub it with steel wool.

SingALong

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 3:21 pm
The only easy way I found is using the crock pot liner bags. Since I started using them cleaning the crock pot motzai shabbos is easy as pie. I put a cup of water into the pot then the bag, then the cholent. Before I used the bags I’d scrub away for a 1/2 hour each week and my pot was full of scratches. Now my pot stays smooth.

cm

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 3:30 pm
Maybe meat sticks more, but this is how I clean up after our vegetarian bean stew in the crock pot:

Remove the crock from the heating element to serve.

Immediately after the meal, pour/scrape leftovers into a storage container and refrigerate.

After Shabbat, add a few drops of dishwashing liquid to the crock and fill to the top with warm water.

In the morning, wash with a nylon scrubber. It usually cleans up very easily.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 6:09 pm
Like any other very dirty dish - fill with hot soapy water. Soak overnight. Watch it slide right off the next day.

chananecha

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 6:13 pm
Pour boiling hot water in it after Shabbos and let it sit overnight, in the morning it will be easy to clean

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 6:14 pm
I don't like using liners, plus they're expensive. I do as ra mom wrote and use parchment paper to line. Works perfectly.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 6:27 pm
If your desperate enough to replace your pot, the magic mill crock pot is made the the chulent just slides out of it ...

boogiebabe

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 6:42 pm
I have a ceramic crockpot and use a trick I learned from the boating industry, since boats have limited fresh water for washing.

Remove metal silverware and all metal from pot. This process will pit the metal.

Fill crock pot with water. Put in one or two denture cleaning tabs, depending on size of pot. Watch it fizz. Wait 30 minutes. You won't believe how easy it cleans.

You're welcome.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 6:46 pm
boogiebabe wrote:
I have a ceramic crockpot and use a trick I learned from the boating industry, since boats have limited fresh water for washing.

Remove metal silverware and all metal from pot. This process will pit the metal.

Fill crock pot with water. Put in one or two denture cleaning tabs, depending on size of pot. Watch it fizz. Wait 30 minutes. You won't believe how easy it cleans.

You're welcome.

Where can you purchase denture cleaning tabs?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 6:47 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

At the pharmacy. Or Google denture cleaner tablets.

boogiebabe

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 6:49 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

In the toothpaste aisle. I pick it up at the supermarket, walmart or Target.
Brand names: efferdent, polident. I buy generic.

I use hot water, and do this first. I wash the cholent pot after the kitchen and dining room are back in order, so it could be longer than 30 minutes.

mamallama

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 7:01 pm
I spray my cholent pot with lots of pam before adding ingredients and it prevents the cholent from sticking.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 7:15 pm
Do not pour boiling water into a room temp crock pot liner.
I did that and the liner cracked. First rinse in warm water, then increase temp hot to hotter water.

aliavi

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 8:45 pm
I use the liners. It’s worth the $.60 to me! I think I’ll try the denture tabs.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 9:54 am
of course I forgot to mention that I use a regular pot on a bleck, not a crockpot. I never like my cholent from the crockpot. so as much as I'd love using a liner that's not an option.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 10:09 am
amother wrote:
of course I forgot to mention that I use a regular pot on a bleck, not a crockpot. I never like my cholent from the crockpot. so as much as I'd love using a liner that's not an option.

So empty the entire pot when you are serving are start soaking then.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 10:31 am
We use a stainless steel pot on the Blech.
When serving, remove all the cholent. Immediately cover it to ke p the steam in.
Right after shabbos cover the cruddy parts, often just st the bottom with boiling water. Leave it sit until you’ve finished the rest of the dishes.
Use a spatula to take out the large pieces and dump right in the trash. You may need some steel wool.

sky

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:36 am
amother wrote:
I don't like using liners, plus they're expensive. I do as ra mom wrote and use parchment paper to line. Works perfectly.

How much more expensive are they then the parchment paper, extra water and soap to scrub, and the steel wool? I pay 50 cents per liner.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry