Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Sandwiches from chicken soup chicken?

lucky14

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:42 pm
Any way I can use the chicken from my chicken soup to make some kind of pita or wrap sandwiches? I prefer to be able to do it in the oven (don't want to have to clean out a frying pan). Anyone have suggestions? Is it possible to bake it to dry it up a bit and then put it with hummus in a pita? Would I add spices to it? Would that taste totally disgusting? I don't eat chicken or meat so I wont be able to taste it to see if it's normal or not.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:45 pm
lucky14 wrote:
Any way I can use the chicken from my chicken soup to make some kind of pita or wrap sandwiches? I prefer to be able to do it in the oven (don't want to have to clean out a frying pan). Anyone have suggestions? Is it possible to bake it to dry it up a bit and then put it with hummus in a pita? Would I add spices to it? Would that taste totally disgusting? I don't eat chicken or meat so I wont be able to taste it to see if it's normal or not.

Ugh, imho it does sound gross,,,

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:45 pm
Shred and heat in a tangy sauce. Layer sauteed onions and then shredded chicken over baguettes or kaiser rolls.

oneofakind

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:46 pm
I'd rather put it into a pasta salad or stir fry.

lucky14

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:53 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Shred and heat in a tangy sauce. Layer sauteed onions and then shredded chicken over baguettes or kaiser rolls.

OK, I'll try this. Thanks!

Tirza

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 8:20 pm
You can also shred the chicken, refrigerate it until cold, and then use it to make chicken salad sandwiches.

lucky14

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 8:39 pm
Tirza wrote:
You can also shred the chicken, refrigerate it until cold, and then use it to make chicken salad sandwiches.

Yeah it's been in my fridge for 2 days now. It's either use it up or toss it. This is a good idea too!

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:00 pm
Mash mix with mayo & sour pickles, salt/pepper like a tuna salad & make sandwiches from it.

Sandwich can also be a smear of mayo or ketchup on a bread, layer the shredded chicken on top & layer sliced sour pickles on top of shredded chicken.

I also do: saute it with diced onions, cubes of zucchini & carrots, spices. Place in a wrap. Yum!

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:01 pm
When sauteeing with veggies, shred chicken first.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:04 pm
I know someone who keeps the bottoms whole & adds any sauce or breading & pan fries them

smile12345

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:07 pm
I just saw a recipe for this on kosher.com: https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-6441

Never tried it though so can't vouch for how it will turn out.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:54 pm
OP, I think the sort or recipes you suggested are best with roast chicken, not chicken that had been boiled to death.

thanks

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 1:22 am
I put in mini wraps with honey mustard or sals, then warm on my foreman grill. (you can line with parchment paper so it stays clean.)

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:55 am
I use it in chicken pot pie.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:00 am
Shred and mix with lots of sautéed onions. Serve in a warm pita if in Israel (soft and fluffy ones). A bun or just brad should be good too. I’m thinking rye bread for added flavor.

pistachio88

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:26 am
I sometimes chop up the chicken bottoms from the soup and make a chicken salad with mayo, apples, celery and craisins and then serve on fresh bread.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:32 am
Squishy wrote:
I use it in chicken pot pie.

Thats what I do too! Also I make creamy chicken casserole with it. Its alwahs a huge hit.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:40 am
I have to say some of these recipes are why Jewish cooking has a bad name LOL LOL Surprised

Chicken that has been boiled in a soup is really fit for almost nothing except perhaps being used in a mayo or other very moist dressing. If it has been delicately poached towards the end of the soup preparation, it can work as a nice bland start for an invalid's meal but when it has been used from the start of the soup preparation, it has given its culinary life in service for that soup. D Very Happy

It certainly shouldn't be reheated, stir fried or cooked again in any kind of preparation Hypnotized Very Happy : In particular the proteins in stir fries need to be heated very quickly at a how heat to preserve their juiciness and in general, the best results are when they are marinated a bit and then velveted.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:47 am
Amarante wrote:
I have to say some of these recipes are why Jewish cooking has a bad name LOL LOL Surprised

Chicken that has been boiled in a soup is really fit for almost nothing except perhaps being used in a mayo or other very moist dressing. If it has been delicately poached towards the end of the soup preparation, it can work as a nice bland start for an invalid's meal but when it has been used from the start of the soup preparation, it has given its culinary life in service for that soup. D Very Happy

It certainly shouldn't be reheated, stir fried or cooked again in any kind of preparation Hypnotized Very Happy : In particular the proteins in stir fries need to be heated very quickly at a how heat to preserve their juiciness and in general, the best results are when they are marinated a bit and then velveted.

Pot pie and casserole are actually really good and a wonderful way to not waste food as well as make a $9 chicken stretch to at least 2 meals.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 11:03 am
I do this all the time. Saute cubed onions with garlic till clear or brownish. Then I add the chopped chicken with paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and I let it sauté for a bit. I spread mayo on the pita or wrap, then add shredded lettuce and diced pickles and add the 'shwarma' mixture. The kids and the adults love it.
I also do it the same thing the cumin but with the same chicken, and add, garlic powder, onion powder and then make a sauce with potato starch and water and serve it like a sauce with rice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey