Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
High fever for 5 days..no other symptoms
1  2  Next

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 5:07 pm
DS 5 has had a high fever (spikes to 104ish + at night, lower or none at all during the day) for 5 days now. No sore throat, cough, runny nose, ear ache, vomiting, pain when urinating, nothing. Just fever and bad chills.

I didn't bring him to the doctor till yesterday because my kids do get high fevers often, but 4 days is out of the norm. Doctor listened to his lungs, did a strep culture, checked his ears, everything came back okay. But now he's on my couch, very fussy, freezing, with a temp of 101, which may get climb as the night goes on.

Do I wait it out? Has anyone experienced something similar? Dr wants to wait till Friday to do bloodwork bc he firmly believes it's a virus. My mother thinks I should demand more testing now, but I don't even know what we'd be testing for..any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

bunchagirlies

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 5:29 pm
sounds viral to me

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 5:31 pm
Yes sounds like a virus. My kids had that too in the past. Usually starts to get better after 7-8 days only.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 5:32 pm
Did he test for flu?

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 5:37 pm
Might be the flu. Did the doctor take a flu test?

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 5:39 pm
It could be walking pneumonia. You can see from a chest xray.
It could be measles. Rash comes out later.

pizzapie

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 5:45 pm
amother wrote:
Might be the flu. Did the doctor take a flu test?

There really isn't any benefit in testing for the flu at this point. Tamiflu is only effective within 48 hours.

animeme

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 5:50 pm
Are you staggering Motrin and Tylenol?

Harried mama

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:26 pm
I would request blood work. Fever isn't concerning when you have something to "blame" it on such as a runny nose, cough, vomiting, etc. When it's just fever and there's absolutely nothing else going on, it's usually a good idea to do some testing to see whether it's viral or bacterial and try to figure out the source.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:28 pm
dankbar wrote:

I agree. I know a kid who had a similar thing. The pediatrician did a chest xray on the outside chance that it was pneumonia and it was.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:44 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Did he test for flu?

No, because his nose wasn't runny at all and the doctor said there was nothing to test. There needs to be something in the nose to swab..

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:53 pm
dankbar wrote:
It could be measles. Rash comes out later.

Pneumonia with no cough and clear sounding lungs?

He's been vaccinated for measles..

Emotional

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:37 pm
I had this exact symptom six years ago. For a week and a half, my temperature was about 104 at night and 101-102 by day. Initial bloodwork showed it was viral.
When the fever finally lifted, within 2-3 days I tested positive for the most stubborn case of strep throat my doctor had ever seen. Multiple antibiotics seemed to make it worse. When my doc sent me to an ENT, who finally kicked my strep with steroids and high doses of Augmentin, he said that this is the classic onset of mono/Epstein Barr virus. Prolonged high fever followed by a bacterial infection.

tweety1

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:39 pm
amother wrote:
Pneumonia with no cough and clear sounding lungs?

He's been vaccinated for measles..

Yes! For walking pneumonia yes!!

tweety1

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:39 pm
Request for blood work if he isn't better by tomorrow!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:40 pm
My son had this a few weeks ago. Was viral. Lasted about 6 days.

Emotional

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:43 pm
Emotional wrote:
I had this exact symptom six years ago. For a week and a half, my temperature was about 104 at night and 101-102 by day. Initial bloodwork showed it was viral.
When the fever finally lifted, within 2-3 days I tested positive for the most stubborn case of strep throat my doctor had ever seen. Multiple antibiotics seemed to make it worse. When my doc sent me to an ENT, who finally kicked my strep with steroids and high doses of Augmentin, he said that this is the classic onset of mono/Epstein Barr virus. Prolonged high fever followed by a bacterial infection.

I'm sorry, I initially misread your post as saying that your DH is the one with a fever. It may be a whole different ball game with kids. Unlikely for such a young child to get mono, though not unheard of.

baked ziti

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:09 pm
My toddler just had this. After 5 days he began to improve. Drs are not usually concerned about fever if the child looks generally well when the fever is brought down. My son's pediatrician said that after a week he would investigate on a deeper level.

nchr

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:01 pm
Emotional wrote:
I'm sorry, I initially misread your post as saying that your DH is the one with a fever. It may be a whole different ball game with kids. Unlikely for such a young child to get mono, though not unheard of.

More than 30% of children will get mono, but without symptoms. It's rare for a child to have symptoms and when they do, they are usually severe. Adults are the ones who are more likely to have the classic sore throat or other symptoms but most people dont know and it passes in a few weeks. Anyways, with OPs son it is probably some virus that will IYH pass. If it continues it may be a good idea to get some blood work done. Does he otherwise feel good and active during the day? Refuah shalaima!

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:13 pm
My ds had this a couple of months ago. It took a week for the fever to finally go away.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics