Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Starting from scratch
Previous  1  2

sub

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:22 pm
Invest in the braun food processor. After many years I finally did and it is worth every penny

dankbar

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:57 am
I see you were linked to 2 great threads on pesach planning

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 10:07 am
mha3484 wrote:
My essentials are a 1) A good knife, peeler, box grater, spatula and mixing spoon. 2) A small to medium pot you can boil eggs in 2) a deep skillet that also works if you want to boil water or soup. 3) baking sheets for roasting veggies. You can get all of this at home goods for cheap.

I saw an amazing hack to make hard boiled eggs in a metal muffin pan in the oven. A 6 qt crockpot is very helpful to make chicken soup, roasts, cholent for chol ha moed and does not cost a fortune.

Does this work in a disposable aluminum muffin tin?

mom22

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 11:10 am
I use all paper, aluminum and plastic except pots food processor kitchen utensils, crock pot and hand mixer.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 5:35 am
dankbar wrote:
Think whatever you normally use to cook/eat besides for chometz

That. It is hard only if people make it hard!

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 10:10 am
Great posts and suggestions here. Just a few thoughts...
Is this going to be a regular thing? That from now on you will be making Pesach? Then it will be worth it to invest a little more (quality and quantity). If it is a one-off thing then I would do minimalist. Also look at your budget.

Next, ask your LOR about some things mentioned. Some people use the same broom for chometz and Pesach as it is too small to see and there is no chance you are eating from the end of the broom. Unless you sweep on your table....

We started our first year with true minimalist. Disposable everything but a knife pretty much. Every year we added based off of necessity. One year was pots. Another a good food processor. (Not great. I did something with decent Amazon rating but pretty cheap. I will have to replace eventually). And years late now it is still basic but workable... And didn't break our budget.

Huge debate on the "it's only one week a year vs it's such a prep needed holiday" abounds and everyone will tell you " go cheap" or "only buy the best". It depends on your cooking style, needs and whether you are buying once forever or are ok with replacing every 5-10 years. I did middle of the road except for some basics that I bought that first when I went for super cheap.
Also check out dollar stores. Terrible quality but some things it doesn't matter for. Serving spoons, bowls etc. measuring spoons and cups. Good luck!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics