Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Jodi Picoult
1  2  3  Next

lech lecha08

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 11:04 am
I recently read and liked "House Rules" and "19 minutes". What other books of hers are similar to those?
I just couldn't get into the Salem Falls one.

OutATowner

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 11:55 am
I don't remember specific titles, but her earlier ones were better than the ones published later.
My Sister's Keeper is amazing, and Plain Truth. Those were the two that stick out in my memory.

pause

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 11:59 am
I love them all!
Small Great Things is superb!
Handle with Care was very thought-provoking.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 12:01 pm
I love her ans have loved almost all of her books. The only one that I could not get into enough to finish was the Tenth Circle. And I thought the newest one - Spark of Light - was politically driven and while it was a good story, it was graphic and annoyed me. Same with The Storyteller - It was extremely readable and very engaging but also extremely graphic.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 12:15 pm
lech lecha08 wrote:
I recently read and liked "House Rules" and "19 minutes". What other books of hers are similar to those?
I just couldn't get into the Salem Falls one.

IMNSHO, they're pretty formulaic, so you're likely to enjoy any of them.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 12:17 pm
They all suck.

DREAMING

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 12:32 pm
I loved "small great things"

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 12:32 pm
Salem falls
The tenth circle
Vanishing act
My sisters keeper
Second glance
Perfect match
Plain truth
Keeping faith
The pact
Mercy
Picture perfect
Harvesting the heart
Song of the humpback whale

DREAMING

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 12:33 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
IMNSHO, they're pretty formulaic, so you're likely to enjoy any of them.

Agreed

CPenzias

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 1:21 pm
She's my favorite author. No clue why you think they all suck sequoia...can you explain?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 1:26 pm
sequoia wrote:
They all suck.

Obviously we all have different opinions. I loved every single one of her books.

mizle10

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 1:32 pm
Plain truth was great.
The tenth circle was too heavy for me.

My sisters keeper, obviously.

I agree though, they are a bit similar, they tend to have a dramatic twist at the end. But I njoy them anyway.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 1:46 pm
Formulaic and a bit similar are nicer ways to put it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 1:51 pm
I actually liked Sing You Home and Plain Truth.
To me the rest of them all seemed very similar to each other.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 3:39 pm
I dislike a writing style that tries to manipulate the reader. (I don't mean a well done plot twist.) I gave up on her books years ago, I think after the Sister's Keeper one.

monseymom25

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 6:28 pm
Leaving Time was definitely my favorite of all of her books that I read. It was fascinating and I never could have predicted the twist at the end. I now have a new appreciation for elephants! Anyone else read it?

pause

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:00 pm
amother wrote:
I dislike a writing style that tries to manipulate the reader. (I don't mean a well done plot twist.) I gave up on her books years ago, I think after the Sister's Keeper one.

What does that mean? Manipulate the reader?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:26 pm
pause wrote:
What does that mean? Manipulate the reader?

Was wondering the same?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:28 pm
monseymom25 wrote:
Leaving Time was definitely my favorite of all of her books that I read. It was fascinating and I never could have predicted the twist at the end. I now have a new appreciation for elephants! Anyone else read it?

I just finished Salem falls. I accidentally read the last page before I got up to it- I was looking through to see how many pages it was, and accidentally read the last page not realizing it was the last page. I would not have seen it coming, but at the same time, it also changed the way I read the rest of the book.

pause

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:30 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I just finished Salem falls. I accidentally read the last page before I got up to it- I was looking through to see how many pages it was, and accidentally read the last page not realizing it was the last page. I would not have seen it coming, but at the same time, it also changed the way I read the rest of the book.

I actually suspected a similar ending. I knew there was something fishy there with that father.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room