Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Another Shtisel thread ;)
1  2  3  Next

Rappel

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 2:59 pm
I JUST STARTED WATCHING SHTISEL, AND IT'S SO SAD!!!!! Crying Crying

I watched through episode 3 - I'm not sure I can continue.

Anyone else feel this way???

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 3:14 pm
I watched it here in Israel when it was on tv, about 4 years ago. I remember every single episode was sad in some way, but was also so so so so good.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 3:52 pm
I watched episode 1 out of curiosity and I thought it was okay... yes a little sad but okay. I didn’t continue watching but should I????

oneofakind

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 3:58 pm
I watched many of them but stopped when I found it too sad.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 3:58 pm
Is it in English or hebrew?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 4:02 pm
sad too sad
its written and acted by secular people
eventually a subtle negative tinge and bias distortion seeps through - more as the series goes on
extremely sad

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 5:42 pm
I'm just starting season 2, and I'm enjoying it. B'H for subtitles, or I'd be completely lost.

It's definitely a drama, but it does have some comedic moments. It's better if you can understand a bit of Hebrew and Yiddish, because the English translation doesn't always catch the nuances.

I really like the actress who plays Giti, and the girl who plays Ruchama is amazing. She looks so much like Giti, and has so many of the same mannerisms and facial expressions. If she's not the daughter of the actress who plays Giti, then it's even more impressive that she does such a good impression of "her mom".

Her range of emotion is incredible, yet subtle. I think she has a very bright future ahead of her.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 5:44 pm
While not the most life-affirming piece of entertainment out there, I didn't find it sad, per se. Just realistic. I disagree about the bias. I thought it was extremely sympathetic to the chareidi way of life, and that everyone involved really did their research well.

iyar

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 5:56 pm
amother wrote:
While not the most life-affirming piece of entertainment out there, I didn't find it sad, per se. Just realistic. I disagree about the bias. I thought it was extremely sympathetic to the chareidi way of life, and that everyone involved really did their research well.

I also found it sympathetic to the chareidi way of life and agree that the research was thorough. There are some parts that are off and you just know that's not the way things happen by "us" (whoever we are Wink ) , but for the most part it's very well done. As a chutznik who is in a permanent state of missing Yerushalayim, my favorite part more than watching any particular character was looking at the streets I miss. If I had to choose a character, I thought the grandmother was very well done in every way. They captured her Yerushalmi Yiddish and her bit of dementia flawlessly. I liked the Me'ah Shearim shadchan with his ratty notebook too. I didn't find it sad because every now and then one of the characters would flicker back to behaving for a moment in a most non-chareidi manner, just long enough for me to smile and realize I'm enjoying a make believe world.

iyar

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 6:02 pm
amother wrote:
Is it in English or hebrew?

Hebrew. Melodious and well spoken!
Even if you don't understand most of it, you'll for sure enjoy the sound of it.

gingertop

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 6:16 pm
Rappel wrote:
I JUST STARTED WATCHING SHTISEL, AND IT'S SO SAD!!!!! Crying Crying

I watched through episode 3 - I'm not sure I can continue.

Anyone else feel this way???

I also found it extremely sad. But there are great comedic moments, especially involving the uncle from Antwerp...

Years ago, a guy who worked in a store near my house had his ringtone set to Uncle Nuchem's "Tzionim Aruruim". LOL

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 6:32 pm
I also watched it a while ago and thought it was very well done, albeit with some nuances that were "off", which was to be expected. Mainly, they were missing the simchas hachaim that comes from emunah. Even in tough situations.
I agree that its better if you understand Hebrew.
The filming,costumes, etc. Were extemely professional. It was pleasant on the eyes.
The actress who played Ruchoma is actually older than she looks. She's small because of an illness she had as a child.
Im especially impressed with the actor who played Nuchem. He is sfardi but learned his lines in yiddish especially for the show.
One thing I think people assume wrongly is that this family is chassidish. They are in fact supposed to be a yerushalmi family .
Glad to have people to discuss this with:-).

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 8:03 pm
The girl that acts as Ruchama also stars in the film The Zookeeper’s Wife. She is amazing there as well! And I’m haunted by how she sings mah nishtanah there

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 8:40 pm
I find the whole thing sort of meh. I can’t understand why people rave about it.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 8:50 pm
I fast forwarded through most of it, because I found it depressing and sad. Some of the plot lines were realistic, but some were way out there.
Btw, am I the only one who thinks the actress playing Ruchami is Scarlett Johanssen's long lost twin?? She looks like a mini version of her, exactly.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 8:53 pm
I agree about the plot lines. They are way way out there. But its entertainment.its a show.

iyar

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 9:10 pm
andrea levy wrote:
I find the whole thing sort of meh. I can’t understand why people rave about it.

על טעם וריח
אין להתווכח
Smile

perquacky

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 9:17 pm
amother wrote:

Im especially impressed with the actor who played Nuchem. He is sfardi but learned his lines in yiddish especially for the show.
One thing I think people assume wrongly is that this family is chassidish. They are in fact supposed to be a yerushalmi family .

Apparently, he's currently starring on Broadway in The Band's Visit. I heard he's great in that too.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 4:45 am
amother wrote:
I also watched it a while ago and thought it was very well done, albeit with some nuances that were "off", which was to be expected. Mainly, they were missing the simchas hachaim that comes from emunah. Even in tough situations.
I agree that its better if you understand Hebrew.
The filming,costumes, etc. Were extemely professional. It was pleasant on the eyes.
The actress who played Ruchoma is actually older than she looks. She's small because of an illness she had as a child.
Glad to have people to discuss this with:-).
Im going to assume that most, if not all, of the actors and actresses had to learn yiddish for the show. They are all secular israelis.

etky

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 5:34 am
perquacky wrote:
Apparently, he's currently starring on Broadway in The Band's Visit. I heard he's great in that too.

Sasson Gabai is a virtuoso actor, one of Israel's best, with a long, varied and acclaimed career behind him.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics