Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bunk bed or trundle bed?
1  2  Next

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:13 am
I just found out I'm expecting #3, B"H.

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and don't think we will be moving anytime soon, which is fine because we love our apt and our neighborhood!

It's just a matter of making the best use of space. I have a 3 year old and an 18 month old, and was planning on buying a trundle bed but now I'm debating if it makes more sense to go the bunk bed route?

sarah58

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:28 am
I wouldn't feel safe with a bunk bed and 3 little kids... a trundle is so much safer....

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:36 am
I agree.. when my 18 month old is ready for a bed iy"H, my oldest will only be around 4.5/5. I was looking at some low-height bunk beds but still don't know if that would make sense.

Only hesitation with a trundle is that I don't want a kid basically sleeping on the floor Sad anyone know stores that sell trundle style frames that would allow a mattress to rise up like a high-riser?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:41 am
Of course there are trundle high rise beds available! You can even buy a bunk bed (that has the option to separate into 2 separate beds with nice headboards and floorboards) that has a trundle highriser underneath too, for a 3 bed option.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:54 am
We bought a trundle with drawers underneath the bottom bed. It's doesn't feel like sleeping on the floor at all, probably the ones with drawers are higher. In fact the top bed seems a bit higher than a normal bed. However, it isn't at all realistic for us to push the bottom bed underneath every day so it ends up being equivalent to the footprint of two separate beds. At this point we make use of the space underneath the top bed for other storage and we have enough room so it works out fine. Just wanted to let you know that you should think about whether you'll truly be pushing the bed under and pulling it out every day.

I would not consider any size bunk bed for that age.

sarah58

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:58 am
a lot of them come with a higher top bed.... there is also the advantage that when its closed it gives the room such a neat look!

seeker

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:01 am
Kids too little for bunk bed now but if you really plan to stay a while, you could get a bunk bed with a trundle.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:14 am
They do sell bunk beds with a trundle if that interests u. I have a trundle and I have a love hate relationship with it. It's very neat when put away but the sliding high riser thing with pillows falling on to the floor because there is no head board just isnt my chill but it does have its advantages..

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 12:12 pm
My parents used bunk-beds from very young ages, using guard rails if needed. I have just ordered our first bunk bed and my kids are around the ages of yours. I think it's a much better use of the space. The one I ordered is a bunk bed with two pull outs.
I'm an EMT so familiar with possible injuries c"v, not so concerned. Beds are for sleeping on and not for jumping off. In my parents home (kids grown now) this was an understood fact of life and they had 6 kids in bunk-beds starting from 14 months (again, with a suitable guard rail). B"H no one was ever hurt.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 12:19 pm
I'm expecting my 6th and I've been in this situation twice! What I've found, similar to other posters, is that the trundle doesnt really ever get pushed back in. Each kid wants his bed there and available. Luckily, each time, we've gotten a bunk bed with storage drawers, plus a trundle underneath. So the trundle isnt soooo low, and then as soon as possible, we stop using the trundle and one kid moves to the top bunk. (We did buy heavy wood bunkbeds and we paid extra for 2 features: the extra guardrails for both top and bottom beds, and a board and not just rails under the mattresses).

If you want to go just thr trundle route, you can get what's called a "pop up trundle" from amazon. It's a trundle on wheels that pops up when opened to the height of a normal bed. I just can't imagine retracting it daily and pushing it under. Why not just get two narrow twin beds?

simba

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 12:20 pm
amother wrote:
My parents used bunk-beds from very young ages, using guard rails if needed. I have just ordered our first bunk bed and my kids are around the ages of yours. I think it's a much better use of the space. The one I ordered is a bunk bed with two pull outs.
I'm an EMT so familiar with possible injuries c"v, not so concerned. Beds are for sleeping on and not for jumping off. In my parents home (kids grown now) this was an understood fact of life and they had 6 kids in bunk-beds starting from 14 months (again, with a suitable guard rail). B"H no one was ever hurt.

14 months old were sleeping in the top bunk?
That is even young for a bed.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 12:23 pm
simba wrote:
14 months old were sleeping in the top bunk?
That is even young for a bed.

Bottom bunk with full guard rail

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 12:47 pm
If you are planning on staying in a two bedroom for another few years its totally worth the extra money to get a bunk bed with a trundle that pops up.

You can use the bottom bunk for the three year old and the trundle for the other one. In two years or so when the baby is ready for a bed its easy - move the five year old to the top bed, the other kid to the lower bed and the two year old onto the trundle. I have kids similar aged to yours and thats what we did. It was great - otherwise when our third needed a bed we would have been stuck or would have had to get a bunk bed with a trundle then so it would have been a waste of money to just buy a trundle bed in the begining only to have to replace it.

nicole81

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 1:00 pm
I agree that the best option is a bunk bed with a trundle. You can buy a bunk bed that separates, too, so by the time all 3 are in a bed you can still keep them low if the oldest isn't ready for the top bunk.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 1:09 pm
Trundle beds really don’t get pushed in. Get a bunk bed with a trundle with drawers. I’m contemplating getting a second set for my girls room. The trundle is for sleepovers.

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 1:43 pm
According to Consumer Product Safety Commission and bunk bed manufacturers, only children older than 6 should sleep on top bunks. Younger children have died R”L, usually by strangulation after getting caught between the top bunk and the wall. Make sure that if you do buy a bunk bed, it complies with CPSC standards.

Miri1

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:35 pm
I"d go for a trundle for two reasons.
One being that a kid shouldn't be in a bunk bed until age 6.
The other being that I felt I missed out on quality time with my older kid when she was up on the bunk bed - it was hard for me to climb up there to kiss her goodnight, or lie down and shmooze with her. Eventually we gave up some space and separated the bunk beds - and I am so grateful now that they're both accessible for me to love them up a bit without having to climb or stoop!

baltomom

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:49 pm
Your children sound very young for bunk beds. Have you considered toddler beds? They use crib mattresses and take up a lot less space in the bedroom. Unless your children are big for their age, they should be able to sleep in them until age 5 or 6. I would advise keeping your 18 month old in a crib as long as possible (age 3 if s/he isn't climbing out before then), as it makes bedtime, naptime, and wake up time so much easier.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 4:30 am
You never know what personality the new child will have or even how your two children that you have now will be in a few years.

My first child is very cautious about danger, but my next child is SO lebidig, climbing up on placed not meant to be climbed and jumping down, doing flips and handstands and so on.

Don't take the chance with a bunk. I would be terrified. I KNOW that my lebidig kid (and the following child, his trainee) would be flying from the top....

studying_torah

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 9:49 am
What's the difference between a pop up trundle and a high riser bed?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics