Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Mayday!!! Calling all rash experts
1  2  Next

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 12:28 pm
My baby and I have been having this awful itchy rash for 3 months already. My baby has it on his cheeks and I have in on both of my breasts and oddly, my right thumb.

We’ve been to so many doctors already and no one was able to help us.

I’m so beyond desperate. My baby was the calmest sleeping through the night kinda baby until this hit us. He’s always fussy and edgy.

I’m in such agony. The itching is beyond and nursing is insanely painful.

I would long wean him but he’s refusing the bottle. I’m the proud owner of every bottle and formula made to date.

Mayday!!!

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 12:31 pm
Maybe it's thrush. Did you try yeast rash creams for it? Where are you located? Did you hear of Daktarin?

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 12:35 pm
It’s not thrush. There’s nothing in his mouth. Only on cheeks.

I’m in NY

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 12:37 pm
Sounds crazy, Sorry for what you're going thru. If it's itchy it may be an allergy or something.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 12:46 pm
Dermatologist can't figure it out?? It can be a different fungal infection besides yeast. Have you tried treatment for fungal?

nicole81

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 12:48 pm
It sounds fungal. Try using athlete's foot cream.

What does it look like?

Surrendered

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 12:50 pm
Would you feel comfortable trying the goat milk method? You go to someone who has goats, they spritz the milk directly onto the rash, it usually helps instantly or with 2 treatments. Where are you located?

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 12:56 pm
The rash is white and scaly.

We keep on giving it to one another. It goes around in circles.

I’ve been to dermatologists. They either prescribed bactroban or nystatin. Non helped.

Does the goat milk have to come directly from the goat?!

nicole81

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 1:08 pm
Scaly definitely sounds fungal. With the nystatin, did you use it exactly as prescribed for the full duration of the prescription? If not, that's what you need to start with. If yes, go back to the doctor who prescribed it for a stronger rx. There are antifungal pills that you could take while treating the baby topically.

Additionally, tea tree oil can be helpful in eliminating fungal infections, but it's best to use it in conjunction with an rx.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 1:10 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Scaly definitely sounds fungal. With the nystatin, did you use it exactly as prescribed for the full duration of the prescription? If not, that's what you need to start with. If yes, go back to the doctor who prescribed it for a stronger rx. There are antifungal pills that you could take while treating the baby topically.

Additionally, tea tree oil can be helpful in eliminating fungal infections, but it's best to use it in conjunction with an rx.

I agree. Not every fungal infection will respond to Nystatin, and you should follow up to try something else. Definitely treat both of you simultaneously.

dankbar

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 1:11 pm
Did you try acidophilus?

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 1:13 pm
It definitely sounds fungal or maybe even infection because it's going from mother to baby, in the area where the baby nurses, the cheeks, the thumb is also part of the nursing.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 1:17 pm
Nystatin only works for candida infections- there are other fungal medications for different fungal infections that you should try (clotrimazole etc)

Surrendered

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 1:44 pm
Yes. It's most affective when you get it directly from the goat.

Undefined

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 1:49 pm
I had a similar thing with my son although it was in his mouth as well. We used Gentian Violet which is a very dark purple liquid that pretty much stains everything it comes in contact with, but it was the only thing that helped. You paint it onto yourself and paint it onto your baby's cheeks and you will have to wear a shirt you don't care about and your baby will look funny for a little while until it fades but it definitely helps

NovelConcept

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 2:48 pm
Please call the Skin Healing Gemach!

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 3:18 pm
I would still treat as thrush. At least try.

NovelConcept

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 3:28 pm
Diagnoses are made BEFORE treating. Giving medication before a diagnosis means potentially medicating a patient with wrongful meds.
That's an error.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 3:31 pm
If there is any discharge, they should be able to culture it and see if anything grows, and test for sensitivities.

gingertop

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 3:36 pm
Chiming in to the choir. This sound extremely fungal. Get an appointment at a dermatologist. In the meantime, acidophillus, yogurt, and topical anti-fungal cream. Air out breast for a few minutes after feeding by leaving bra down under t-shirt.
You may need a steroidal anti-fungal at this point. A PCP can help while you wait for a dermatologist who will culture the skin and be able to give the best treatment plan.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics