Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
A Paradox- Ushmartem es Nafshosechem & "Latkes &
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 8:56 am
The responses will go something like- Everything in moderation, but POISON in moderation?

cookielady

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 9:00 am
So why do you even ask the question if you think you already know the answer?

but it's so nice of you to make some ppl now worry about the 1 latke and 1 jellydoughnut they ate. A Freilichen Chanukah to you too. Rolling Eyes

amother

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 9:02 am
cookielady wrote:
So why do you even ask the question if you think you already know the answer?

but it's so nice of you to make some ppl now worry about the 1 latke and 1 jellydoughnut they ate. A Freilichen Chanukah to you too. Rolling Eyes
If it prevents you from eating the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. I've done a BIG Mitzvah. Wink

Or, are you now going to consume more to spite?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 9:05 am
huh??

brooklyn

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 9:13 am
So why stop at Chanukah, All the potato kugel, cold cuts and cholent on Shabbat can't be good for us either. Don't get me started on Pesach or for that matter all the drinking on Purim. How about a ban on smoking in all the yeshivas, there is much to work on. IMO.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 9:26 am
Scratching Head

Please unconfuse me. What is this all about?

brooklyn

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 9:28 am
The tile is about safeguarding your life. So I guess she is worried about overindulgence with latkes and donuts during Chanuka.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 9:30 am
Rolling Eyes

amother, life is dangerous to life.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 9:35 am
OP

To simplify- I am asking why we are encouraged to eat unhealthy foods throughout the year. The Rambam advises which foods are healthy and which are not and how foods should and should not be eaten....

http://www.jewishhealing.com/diet-rambam.html

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 10:08 am
Indulgence is a different matter entirely, but a minhag Yisrael cannot be "bad for you". Fry your latkes in olive oil if you are health conscious.

BTW, Chanukah, latkes and all celebrates our victory over the self -hating, self defeating Hellinists and Hellisnism as well as Greeks. The over-emphasis on the physique and the physical and the detraction of the G-dly, was part of that culture.

sarahd

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 10:18 am
Besides, the NYT had an article a few weeks ago about how the whole "fat is bad for you" theory has never been proven or even tested. Very Happy

amother

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 10:30 am
sarahd wrote:
Besides, the NYT had an article a few weeks ago about how the whole "fat is bad for you" theory has never been proven or even tested. Very Happy
Can you google it, please? I'd love to read it. I haven't found anything like that.

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 10:34 am
hey it's not just latkes & jelly donuts ... there are so many things one must do in moderation - too much of a good thing is never good now is it (except maybe latkes Drunken Smile )

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 10:35 am
Some people NEED fat.

sarahd

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 11:17 am
amother wrote:
sarahd wrote:
Can you google it, please? I'd love to read it. I haven't found anything like that.

Here you go: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10.....login

louche

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 8:10 pm
everything in moderation. If we ate prudently allyear long, even a weeks' overindulgence in latkes wouldn't do us any harm. besides it doesn't have to be latkes and suganiyot--you could be yotze the minhag by frying somecarrots and broccoli.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 8:19 pm
Its not just latkas. All jewish ethnic traditional food origanating in eastern europe is unhealthy & against v'nishmartem. Maybe the middle eastern jews have healthier traditions passed down. 100% OP, I agree.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 9:05 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
Indulgence is a different matter entirely, but a minhag Yisrael cannot be "bad for you". Fry your latkes in olive oil if you are health conscious.

BTW, Chanukah, latkes and all celebrates our victory over the self -hating, self defeating Hellinists and Hellisnism as well as Greeks. The over-emphasis on the physique and the physical and the detraction of the G-dly, was part of that culture.

DON'T fry in olive oil (even though thats kind of the idea of latkes on chanuka
olive oil and heat= bad

canola oil for frying and cooking
olive oil for salad.

you can however cut out the amount of oil you use and find healthy latke recipes.
maybe they can be baked? Question

bashinda

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 9:07 pm
Once you call something poison you lose me. It's a tad melodramatic.

And over generalization also loses me. Yes. ashkenazi food == BAD, middle eastern food == GOOD.

I don't think so. I'm not a fan of these type of tautalogies.

Everything in moderation.

Also it's fine to tell me what you think is fine for you but please don't tell me I'm eating poison and what I should be eating. Thanks.

bashinda

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 9:09 pm
EstiS wrote:

DON'T fry in olive oil (even though thats kind of the idea of latkes on chanuka
olive oil and heat= bad

canola oil for frying and cooking
olive oil for salad.

Since when is cooking in olive oil bad? I do it every Pesach and actually I often cook in olive oil in the year.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions