Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Hashem is so kind
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 10:00 pm
I often read that here. Is this idea something that is logical and makes sense, or is it something that we must say even though it doesn't really make sense?

mig100

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 10:06 pm
amother wrote:
I often read that here. Is this idea something that is logical and makes sense, or is it something that we must say even though it doesn't really make sense?

It should not b something we "just say" without believing.

It's a basic belief of yedishkeit- that hashem is our loving father who wants to provide what's best for us more than we can imagine.

It's one of 7 principals in chovos halvavos

yksraya

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 10:14 pm
Does it make sense that I can breathe, I can eat, I can walk, I have what to wear, electricity, heat, and so so so much more. Isn't it all from hashem? Isn't he so kind to give me so much blessings?

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 10:19 pm
yksraya wrote:
Does it make sense that I can breathe, I can eat, I can walk, I have what to wear, electricity, heat, and so so so much more. Isn't it all from hashem? Isn't he so kind to give me so much blessings?

I don't understand. So if we consider all the kind wonderful things you just mentioned, and also consider all the terrible suffering that goes on, how do we end up that hashem is so kind???
Do we just pretend the bad stuff doesn't exist?

yksraya

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 10:35 pm
amother wrote:
I don't understand. So if we consider all the kind wonderful things you just mentioned, and also consider all the terrible suffering that goes on, how do we end up that hashem is so kind???

That's where emuna comes into the picture.

If you think hashem is not kind, than how can you explain all the blessings?

Also, with each nisayon we do have an extra set of strength to overcome it. We just need to want to use that strength. If we look for hashems kindness even in trying times, we do find it and it makes life easier and happier.

P.s. speaking from experience, my life isn't exactly a bed of roses...

happinessseeker

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:

I think that knowing that Hashem is so kind and loves us (and thus would never do anything that’s not in our best interest) should be the foundation. Once we know that we can realize that all these bad things that happen are really for our good - in a way we cannot understand.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 11:17 pm
yksraya wrote:
That's where emuna comes into the picture.

If you think hashem is not kind, than how can you explain all the blessings?

Also, with each nisayon we do have an extra set of strength to overcome it. We just need to want to use that strength. If we look for hashems kindness even in trying times, we do find it and it makes life easier and happier.

P.s. speaking from experience, my life isn't exactly a bed of roses...
[u]

I wouldn't say hashem is not kind. I would say that sometimes hashem is kind and seemingly, sometimes he isn't. Am I supposed to logically look at all the tragedy in the world and close my eyes and say hashem is so kind? You mention emuna. So is emuna something that is logical and makes sense or do we pretend? For example should a single 50 year old woman go to sleep happy at night understanding that hashem loves her and it is best for her that she be alone her whole life? Is there any way for this to make sense to us?

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 11:21 pm
happinessseeker wrote:
I think that knowing that Hashem is so kind and loves us (and thus would never do anything that’s not in our best interest) should be the foundation. Once we know that we can realize that all these bad things that happen are really for our good - in a way we cannot understand.

But how do you actually know hashem is kind? How do you make it a foundational belief if it seemingly contradicts what our human minds tell us. When babies are born with diseases how do I honestly say that I believe hashem is kind? This is why I wonder if it's meant to be kind of a brainwash where we just ingrain it in our minds from a very young age so that we don't realize the obvious questions.

Laiya

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 11:27 pm
amother wrote:
But how do you actually know hashem is kind? How do you make it a foundational belief if it seemingly contradicts what our human minds tell us. When babies are born with diseases how do I honestly say that I believe hashem is kind? This is why I wonder if it's meant to be kind of a brainwash where we just ingrain it in our minds from a very young age so that we don't realize the obvious questions.

Because we believe life itself is the greatest gift.

yksraya

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 7:40 am
amother wrote:
[u]

I wouldn't say hashem is not kind. I would say that sometimes hashem is kind and seemingly, sometimes he isn't. Am I supposed to logically look at all the tragedy in the world and close my eyes and say hashem is so kind? You mention emuna. So is emuna something that is logical and makes sense or do we pretend? For example should a single 50 year old woman go to sleep happy at night understanding that hashem loves her and it is best for her that she be alone her whole life? Is there any way for this to make sense to us?

Emuna is something we work on. If we have questions we ask them and seek the answers. It's not always easy.

One thing I can guarantee you, had I not had strong faith when hardship hit, I wouldn't have survived.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 9:11 am
yksraya wrote:
Emuna is something we work on. If we have questions we ask them and seek the answers. It's not always easy.

One thing I can guarantee you, had I not had strong faith when hardship hit, I wouldn't have survived.

What exactly do you have strong faith in?

1. Hashem will resolve the problem. For example a couple is struggling with infertility. They have emunah that hashem will bless them with a child.

2. Even if hashem doesn't give them any children, this is certainly best for them.

mig100

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 10:42 am
amother wrote:

1. Hashem will resolve the problem. For example a couple is struggling with infertility. They have emunah that hashem will bless them with a child.

2. Even if hashem doesn't give them any children, this is certainly best for them.

#2 is the correct approach

believing #1 is a strong misconception. emuna is not the beleif that everything will work out. thats clearly untrue. its the beleif that we are being guided by a loving father who knows better than ourselves whats best for us - and has in his power to provide everything. ( the chazon ish discusses this in depth I beleive)

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 10:48 am
mig100 wrote:
#2 is the correct approach

believing #1 is a strong misconception. emuna is not the beleif that everything will work out. thats clearly untrue. its the beleif that we are being guided by a loving father who knows better than ourselves whats best for us - and has in his power to provide everything. ( the chazon ish discusses this in depth I beleive)

I hear you. I guess my issue is that #2 is not a logical or sensible conclusion. It is not based on anything that we can honestly say we can understand. It is just an idea that we train ourselves to accept even though we have no way to verify it.

yksraya

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 10:49 am
amother wrote:

I can't answer the above scenario as it does not apply to me.

I can however explain to you what faith means to me.

That hashem is my loving father. Hashem is by my side and is carrying me through all my hardships. I can speak to him and ask anything of him. He understands me. No one can do me anything unless it's his will, and they are just the messengers. If it's his will, it's because there are reasons I do not understand, but it's for the best, it's meant for me for my tikkun. If he brought me to it, he'll get me through it and everything will be ok.

yksraya

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 10:55 am
Btw op, I know in school they preached to never question and to never ask why. But really it's ok to ask and to want to understand. It means you are on the way to healing and connection to hashem. It's very healthy and normal to express it and feel the pain so you can learn to let go of it. Keep your questions coming, even tho not all the answers you hear makes sense to you or applies to your situation.

mig100

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 11:02 am
amother wrote:
I hear you. I guess my issue is that #2 is not a logical or sensible conclusion. It is not based on anything that we can honestly say we can understand. It is just an idea that we train ourselves to accept even though we have no way to verify it.

It's hard. Its a lifetimes work not something we truly believe overnight.

What I quotes was based on chain ish intro on emunah and bitachon. I'd highly recommend learning it inside. ( there's an english version)

Even better learn it slowly with someone in a group so u can discuss analyze and question these thoughts.

He spends a whole chapter coming to the conclusion I state- about looking around at the world introspecting and how our lifes goal is to have our logic overcome our emotions

When u learn about something it slowly become part of u. Slowly u notice hasgacha everywhere.

U sound like a thinking honest person. Which is commendable in a world where most r living by rout to busy to think. Good for u

mig100

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 9:24 pm
yksraya wrote:

That hashem is my loving father. Hashem is by my side and is carrying me through all my hardships. I can speak to him and ask anything of him. He understands me. No one can do me anything unless it's his will, and they are just the messengers. If it's his will, it's because there are reasons I do not understand, but it's for the best, it's meant for me for my tikkun. If he brought me to it, he'll get me through it and everything will be ok.

Beautiful post! Thanks for taking time to elaborate in such detaill.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 9:55 pm
Emunah and bitachon are a muscle that gets stronger w practice. And it doesn't always come easy.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 7:45 am
yksraya wrote:

I guess I struggle with the seemingly indisputable fact that literally nothing you wrote is provable or even slightly demonstrable. My brain works in a way that I accept things that I can prove to be true. The reality is that every religion says the exact same thing about whoever it is they believe in. We say they are all believing in nonsense and they say the same about us. This leaves me in a situation where I always consider that it might be true, but maybe not. Therefore it's hard for me to put my entire heart and soul into it when I feel like nobody really knows if it's true.

dankbar

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 9:52 am
If you look for Hashem's kindness even in dark times you will find it.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics