Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Shopping for Crib

Nomad

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 10:13 pm
Hi!

Im looking for cribs and was wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages of a drop down crib and a crib with the adjustable mattress heights?

thanks!

momluv

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 10:19 pm
what's a dropdown crib? the plus of having adjustable height for mattress is two fold. one is that when you're baby is just a couple of months old she/he is higher so you don't have to bend far to pick them up. two is that when he/she is older and stands up already he can't fall out if you make it lower. my son is tall so I will be adjusting his soon. I have stanley young america set.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 10:20 pm
drop sides are for non-tall people who don't want to hurt themselves lifting the baby or who want to put a sleeping baby down without the baby waking up. an adjustable height for the mattress makes it easier for the non-tall to handle the baby before the baby can stand. when the baby stands, it can help you lift. beforehand, you have to bend over the edge to take the baby out.

both features are easier on the back than stationary cribs.

momluv

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 10:23 pm
I didn't know that cribs come without dropsides that's why I wasn't sure what she meant.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 10:26 pm
stationary cribs are usually more sturdy, but drop side cribs are perfectly safe until the are declared toxic because they're made in china Smile

I have the delta luv jenny lind and am very happy with it.

Nomad

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 9:32 am
"I have the delta luv jenny lind" - thats the one I was thinking of getting Smile

what exactly do you like about it?

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 10:21 am
If I didn't have the drop down gate on the side of the crib, I would never be able to get my son in and out of the crib. The mattress height is still adjustable. I cannot imagine any possible advantage to NOT having the drop down side.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 10:23 am
Nomad wrote:
"I have the delta luv jenny lind" - thats the one I was thinking of getting Smile

what exactly do you like about it?

I also have a Jenny Lind. I bought it from Land of Nod - I don't know if that's the same as Delta. But it was a good price, attractive, and is holding up very well.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 11:21 am
land of nod is a different company. I like that mine is easy to assemble/disassemble, the mattress height is easily adjustable, and the drop side is easy to use and quiet. it's sturdy and nice looking with a very reasonable price tag. I researched cribs before buying and this is highly recommended by consumer reports. a perk of the price, btw, is that my parents didn't mind buying themselves one so my son could sleep in a familiar crib at their house. since they bought one he sleeps through the night over there. he used to get very upset when he woke up in strange surroundings.

yoyosma

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 11:36 am
MiracleMama wrote:
If I didn't have the drop down gate on the side of the crib, I would never be able to get my son in and out of the crib. The mattress height is still adjustable. I cannot imagine any possible advantage to NOT having the drop down side.

What she said. I also like the adjustable mattress heights because when baby is very small, he/she can be placed higher (easier on your back). When baby gets older, you readjust so its safer.
I like mine. Its a Pali, I dont know which one though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics