Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What's your deep, dark, secret ambition?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Laiya

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 11:53 pm
To reform our school system. To restructure it such that students with all different types of intelligence, not just ability to memorize, are nurtured.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:57 am
I have a long list.

- Solve the tuition crisis (I have a sustainable model worked out, it just needs an initial very large infusion of money.)
- Help frum families get out of debt by offering an interest-free loan to families who commit to working with a financial counselor (paid for by my organization) and promising not to use credit cards.
- Match up people who need work with tzedakah projects that need doing (like at risk boys, teach mechanics and have them fix up old cars and give to poor families who need vehicles; have people refinish and repair old furniture for poor families or institutions; sort and sew/repair clothing for Gemachs; etc. and give them all a fair wage which will help them support their families while helping others)
- Adopt a Downs baby (I would have to be much more competent for that to happen, but I do like to dream)
- Build a very cool school model that allows learning to be goal-based, level-streamed and child-initiated, with a few core classes taken by everyone.
- Implement a much more logical elementary curriculum into the Jewish school system
- Make a drop-in center for overwhelmed mommies, with volunteers/bubbies who will help watch the kids, a library of parenting books that are proven to help, a freezer with meals to take home on tough days when you can't cook, and send chocolate and a card to moms on each child's birthday
- Reward good teachers and retire not-good teachers with dignity (and a nice retirement bonus)
- Make a very cool website that uses a different model to find music: You open up a sefer of Tanach, or a siddur or Machzor, and it highlights lines and links to music that quotes those words. So you can find a song based on a particular kapitel of Tehillim for example, or find an unknown posuk to write a song to.

That's off the top of my head for now.

Aylat

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 4:53 am
Something else I dream of doing - being a researcher in the Antarctic station.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 6:18 am
Work for the MI5 or CIA or even Mossad.

OBnursemom

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 6:27 am
tigerwife wrote:
What is holding all of you back from opening your schools and libraries and becoming midwives? These are noble ambitions, not dark ones.

I want to be a midwife too. I just don’t think it’s practical until my kids are older. For right now I secretly wish I could be independently wealthy and stay home with my kids. I work because I have to.

pizzapie

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 6:55 am
To make aliyah. Practically speaking I cant imagine that it will ever happen.

To become a professional artist.

To wear all sorts of beautiful scarves instead of a wig. I find all wigs to be very, very uncomfortable.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 7:04 am
sequoia wrote:
To win the world championship of What? Where? When?.

Ladies figure skating. But don't stop there, have an Olympic gold medal dream, too.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 9:20 am
amother wrote:
I have a long list.

- Solve the tuition crisis (I have a sustainable model worked out, it just needs an initial very large infusion of money.)
- Help frum families get out of debt by offering an interest-free loan to families who commit to working with a financial counselor (paid for by my organization) and promising not to use credit cards.
- Match up people who need work with tzedakah projects that need doing (like at risk boys, teach mechanics and have them fix up old cars and give to poor families who need vehicles; have people refinish and repair old furniture for poor families or institutions; sort and sew/repair clothing for Gemachs; etc. and give them all a fair wage which will help them support their families while helping others)
- Adopt a Downs baby (I would have to be much more competent for that to happen, but I do like to dream)
- Build a very cool school model that allows learning to be goal-based, level-streamed and child-initiated, with a few core classes taken by everyone.
- Implement a much more logical elementary curriculum into the Jewish school system
- Make a drop-in center for overwhelmed mommies, with volunteers/bubbies who will help watch the kids, a library of parenting books that are proven to help, a freezer with meals to take home on tough days when you can't cook, and send chocolate and a card to moms on each child's birthday
- Reward good teachers and retire not-good teachers with dignity (and a nice retirement bonus)
- Make a very cool website that uses a different model to find music: You open up a sefer of Tanach, or a siddur or Machzor, and it highlights lines and links to music that quotes those words. So you can find a song based on a particular kapitel of Tehillim for example, or find an unknown posuk to write a song to.

That's off the top of my head for now.

Brilliant!!!

eschaya

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:10 am
A bunch. Some more realistic than others.

Get a phd.
Become a university professor in my current field of practice.
Learn to play the drums (I have a training set, sitting in my basement).
Get back to dancing, get back in shape and limber enough to dance at a high level.
Travel to patagonia.
See the aurora.
Take a photography course and become an amateur photographer (for fun, not parnassah).

There is more, of course.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:31 am
amother with the long list- I would love to hear more! in terms of interest free loans that's a dream of mine as well!
I actually tried to start a financial counseling organization is my community but it didn't happen. Mesila was expensive. Then a local organization offered to counsel one couple as a pilot study to see if they might be able to help the community. The executive director of a local school was on board and said he would try to find someone but he couldn't find anyone to agree to volunteer. Argh! My original plan which I didn't mention is that down the line we could then maybe give interest free loans to those people that the counselors assessed would be helped by it but if people aren't willing to get help then there's not much to talk about.

curious how you would solve the tuition crises. My dh also had a plan but it would require an initial very large infusion of money Wink surprise surprise

definitely agree about the teacher thing. right now I don't really see incentives being given to a teacher for being awesome.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:57 am
pizzapie wrote:
To make aliyah. Practically speaking I cant imagine that it will ever happen.

To become a professional artist.

To wear all sorts of beautiful scarves instead of a wig. I find all wigs to be very, very uncomfortable.

I am so with you on this one. The entire day, I cannot wait to get home to take it off... Sad

But I work with college students and patients, and wearing a scarf may not be considered professional attire...

Rappel

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 11:30 am
Ravenclaw wrote:

Serve on jury. (I know, I know, most people try getting out of it... go figure)

I know what you mean!

I was called to sit on a GRAND JURY when I was 19... Except that I couldn't, because I was making Aliyah!

Oh, G-d tested my resolve then!

baby12x

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 11:34 am
To be really successfull at something. I dont really care what. But to be REALLY good at it.
Maybe my blog will be a success, who knows.

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 11:54 am
This is the greatest thread ever started on this website!!!!!
So inspiring and life-affirming. I want to give each and every one of you a hug.

When I was trying to figure out whether or not I should leave my abusive ex, I came to this realization that many of my "deep dark dreams" would never ever come true if I was with him. I just kept pushing them off and waiting and hoping and believing the right time would come and suddenly all at once understood that he would never allow them to happen. Not ever. It was one of the scariest and saddest moments of my life.

Regarding the imas who mentioned living alone.... my deepest darkest dream used to be that I wished my ex would die so I wouldn't have to live with him anymore. I know that is terrible but I had absolutely no concept of divorcing. The very notion literally did not enter my realm of consciousness. I just wanted to be free of him and I couldn't imagine any other way than him dying. Now that I have left him, Baruch Hashem, it is bliss to live alone (my kids are with me most of the time but still). I never thought it was possible for a frum woman to live alone but here I am and loving every minute. Every morning when I wake up I'm just blown away that my deepest darkest dream CAME TRUE! It's been 7 months and I still can't believe it. I am so very blessed that my story ended this way.

I've made a list of other "deep dark dreams" I've nurtured for years and I've committed myself to making them happen one by one. They seemed so far off and outlandish to me before but now I realize they are quite normal and quotidian things that people do (going swimming, buying matching bed linens for my kids, going horseback riding, getting my nails done, buying lipstick, starting a book club, joining a gym) You all probably think I'm crazy but every time I do one of these things I feel like I'm a teenager breaking the rules and "getting away with something"

I guess my new deep dark dream would be to get involved in film making. Screenwriting, directing, and casting are all things that are interesting to me. Going back to school to study filmmaking is the most frivolous, inappropriate, and soul affirming thing I can think of that I would love to do.

@Fox, I would like to preorder your romance novel. Get writing you have no excuse!

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:20 pm
To be a multimillionaire but still stick to my values and not change as a person. This is so I can stop working, have cleaning help lol, get my parents out of debt and help them, and give to my kids schools and husbands yeshiva who are all struggling. Also to not have the stress of finances. (Anyone else freaking out that the 1st is tomorrow??? Rent is due way too early this month!! The $500 in my account aint gonna cover it...)

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:20 pm
I would like to learn to pole dance and surprise DH.
That’s prob the darkest secret on this thread 😆

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:21 pm
Urban gypsy, I can totally relate! Except that since I couldn’t think of any way to get rid of my abusive ex, or making him die, the next best option was harming myself… Thank god we are divorced, something I never considered as an option or possibility. I never imagined life could be so good! My current deepest ambition is to offer support to women who are in such situations.

Other than that, I would love love to live on a ranch!

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:44 pm
My dream is to start my own home business and for it to give me a sense of achievement and for it to be successful. I have a very creative mind but I have no business sense at all. So it is probably wishful thinking.

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:57 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
This is the greatest thread ever started on this website!!!!!
So inspiring and life-affirming. I want to give each and every one of you a hug.

When I was trying to figure out whether or not I should leave my abusive ex, I came to this realization that many of my "deep dark dreams" would never ever come true if I was with him. I just kept pushing them off and waiting and hoping and believing the right time would come and suddenly all at once understood that he would never allow them to happen. Not ever. It was one of the scariest and saddest moments of my life.

Regarding the imas who mentioned living alone.... my deepest darkest dream used to be that I wished my ex would die so I wouldn't have to live with him anymore. I know that is terrible but I had absolutely no concept of divorcing. The very notion literally did not enter my realm of consciousness. I just wanted to be free of him and I couldn't imagine any other way than him dying. Now that I have left him, Baruch Hashem, it is bliss to live alone (my kids are with me most of the time but still). I never thought it was possible for a frum woman to live alone but here I am and loving every minute. Every morning when I wake up I'm just blown away that my deepest darkest dream CAME TRUE! It's been 7 months and I still can't believe it. I am so very blessed that my story ended this way.

I've made a list of other "deep dark dreams" I've nurtured for years and I've committed myself to making them happen one by one. They seemed so far off and outlandish to me before but now I realize they are quite normal and quotidian things that people do (going swimming, buying matching bed linens for my kids, going horseback riding, getting my nails done, buying lipstick, starting a book club, joining a gym) You all probably think I'm crazy but every time I do one of these things I feel like I'm a teenager breaking the rules and "getting away with something"

I guess my new deep dark dream would be to get involved in film making. Screenwriting, directing, and casting are all things that are interesting to me. Going back to school to study filmmaking is the most frivolous, inappropriate, and soul affirming thing I can think of that I would love to do.

@Fox, I would like to preorder your romance novel. Get writing you have no excuse!

I'm so happy for you!

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 1:36 pm
Im surprised no one said this, To take my children to the Bais Hamikdash. To see Yerushalaim in it's glory, to see the Kohanim bringing Korbanos and hear the Leviim saying Shir Hamaalos.
Page 6 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics