Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Oros, bais Yaakov, bais kaila crowd and girls types”
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:44 pm
What are crowds in these schools like, the majority?

Meaning, I know every school in Lakewood will have a mix with a sprinkling of this and that.
But what’s the majority like in each school, which I as a parent and my daughter as a student will have to deal with, what type of peer pressure is there likely to be?

Aside from families’ economic and social status, are majority of girls in any school any particular “type”, or into some particular things, be it brands or movies, or simplicity, or being nice and warm, or the opposite?

Thank you everyone for your input.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 3:23 pm
Bump

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:34 am
Anyone?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 1:42 am
It's so hard to say. Even within one school, a class can change from year to year. Some classes will have very sweet and down to earth girls, some not so much. All it takes is a couple of snobs or bullies to change the entire dynamic.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 2:25 am
FF, she means specifically these schools, not schools in general. OP, I'm not going to enter a school-bashing or promoting fest here but I did research these so if you want you can pm me.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 9:56 am
groisamomma wrote:
FF, she means specifically these schools, not schools in general. OP, I'm not going to enter a school-bashing or promoting fest here but I did research these so if you want you can pm me.

Ff, you’re absolutely right, my questions are more about the “fixed” aspects, that don’t change much from class to class.

groisamomma, I’m not looking to bash anyone but need to know if some places wouldn’t be a good fit for us, for objective reasons.
I also did a research and still have some things to verify; will pm you.

Chaya123

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 4:10 pm
From what I see:
Bais Yaakov- more yeshivish crowd, higher academics
Bais Kaila- more open minded, more tracks for academics
Oros- somewhere in between, higher academics

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 4:57 pm
Check the class sizes because that is an issue in some schools.

debsey

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 8:04 pm
Chaya123 wrote:
From what I see:
Bais Yaakov- more yeshivish crowd, higher academics
Bais Kaila- more open minded, more tracks for academics
Oros- somewhere in between, higher academics

Mostly agree
Bais Yaakov also has a more "heimish, Hungarian" style crowd than the other two.

Bais Kaila is not so much open-minded as not as focused on externals. They give the girls a bit more space. The parents are either yeshivish/kollel or working bnei Torah.

Oros - don't know it as well. Definitely very high academic levels. Parent body is similar to Bais Kaila but I get the sense perhaps more wealthy?

Based entirely on your questions, you sound like Bais Kaila would be a good fit.

giselle

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 8:51 pm
That’s funny the few people I know in Oros don’t have money at all, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 9:03 pm
debsey wrote:
Mostly agree
Bais Yaakov also has a more "heimish, Hungarian" style crowd than the other two.

Bais Kaila is not so much open-minded as not as focused on externals. They give the girls a bit more space. The parents are either yeshivish/kollel or working bnei Torah.

Oros - don't know it as well. Definitely very high academic levels. Parent body is similar to Bais Kaila but I get the sense perhaps more wealthy?

Based entirely on your questions, you sound like Bais Kaila would be a good fit.

The bolded is false.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 9:05 pm
I have family in oros, but I don't know how much they represent the school as a whole. Very much toe the line BY girls, very very academic, not wealthy. They're very happy there.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 9:28 pm
Did you look into the schools overall? I know people who weren’t happy with one of those schools. Knowing the principal, I’m not surprised.

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 9:42 pm
amother wrote:
Did you look into the schools overall? I know people who weren’t happy with one of those schools. Knowing the principal, I’m not surprised.

I know people who weren't happy in each of those schools. Op, you might want to tell us a little more about you and your dd so we can help you figure it out.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 9:47 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
I know people who weren't happy in each of those schools. Op, you might want to tell us a little more about you and your dd so we can help you figure it out.

I know girls who were extremely happy in each of these schools.

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 9:53 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I know girls who were extremely happy in each of these schools.

Sorry, that came out wrong. I also know people who were extremely happy in each of these schools. My dds actually go to one of them and we're thrilled there. I was trying to say that you will find unhappy parents in every school, you have to look at the overall parent body, not just one or two people.

Sometimes something makes so much sense to me in my own little head, I forget that I actually have to make sure to be explicit embarrassed

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 9:54 pm
The bolded is true wealthy bais kaila crowd that I know like wealthy orchos chaim parents send to oros and got in cuz had money

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 10:24 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
Sorry, that came out wrong. I also know people who were extremely happy in each of these schools. My dds actually go to one of them and we're thrilled there. I was trying to say that you will find unhappy parents in every school, you have to look at the overall parent body, not just one or two people.

Sometimes something makes so much sense to me in my own little head, I forget that I actually have to make sure to be explicit embarrassed

Sorry! I didn't mean it in a critical way Wink . I was just responding to a poster who said that someone was unhappy with one of the schools mentioned. The fact is that I have heard all these three schools described in glowing terms - by girls who do not 100% fit the mold - which makes me think that they are all really good.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 10:30 pm
debsey wrote:
Mostly agree

There was a point where I heard that about Oros too, but I don't think it's necessarily true anymore. Keep in mind that the school is newish as compared to BY and BK, and has taken time to become a "type".

There are definitely girls who could fit into all 3 of those schools. Most schools in Lakewood have a certain amount of overlap.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 10:31 pm
amother wrote:

I think the principals of all 3 schools are wonderful, exemplary mechanchos.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics