Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Oros, bais Yaakov, bais kaila crowd and girls types”
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Chaya123

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 10:00 am
Chayalle wrote:
I think the principals of all 3 schools are wonderful, exemplary mechanchos.

Yes, they really are! These are top quality mosdos with mechanchos and many girls can fit into either one.

Chaya123

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 10:02 am
giselle wrote:
That’s funny the few people I know in Oros don’t have money at all, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

Yes, same here! A few years ago, they were trying to attract a very yeshivishe clientele and catering to them, some of whom definitely don't have money.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 10:05 am
Chaya123 wrote:
Yes, same here! A few years ago, they were trying to attract a very yeshivishe clientele and catering to them, some of whom definitely don't have money.

I have a high school senior. The year she was in 8th grade, this was the case - alot of very yeshivish girls from her grade in BF went to Oros.

A few years before that, there was a year when they took alot of girls whose parents were able to commit to a certain tuition level. It did not work out so well for them, and that changed. But this was quite a long time ago.

Chaya123

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 10:06 am
Chayalle wrote:
I have a high school senior. The year she was in 8th grade, this was the case - alot of very yeshivish girls from her grade in BF went to Oros.

Yup, this is the year I was referring to.

debsey

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 10:27 am
Chayalle wrote:

A few years before that, there was a year when they took alot of girls whose parents were able to commit to a certain tuition level. It did not work out so well for them, and that changed. But this was quite a long time ago.

It could be my perception is outdated since then. Sorry, I take it back! I don't really know much about Oros (as I said in my post)

I have super-positive impressions of Bais Kaila, based on friends who sent there.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 10:29 am
debsey wrote:
It could be my perception is outdated since then. Sorry, I take it back! I don't really know much about Oros (as I said in my post)

I have super-positive impressions of Bais Kaila, based on friends who sent there.

Can we be friends Smile ? My girls have done really well in BK B"H.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 10:46 am
I went to BK and loved every minute of it, but this was 11 years ago!

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 11:39 am
I went to bk too but I think it may have changed in the last 20 years 👵🏻

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 1:58 pm
Chaya123 wrote:
From what I see:
Bais Yaakov- more yeshivish crowd, higher academics
Bais Kaila- more open minded, more tracks for academics
Oros- somewhere in between, higher academics

Does “open minded” mean, less yeshivish, more working?
Or means some (many?) girls and or their families watch movies, listen to non-Jewish music, kids go online etc?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 2:09 pm
amother wrote:
Does “open minded” mean, less yeshivish, more working?
Or means some (many?) girls and or their families watch movies, listen to non-Jewish music, kids go online etc?

Probably the bolded.

They might be a bit more broad in the jewish music they listen to. You will have more kids whose parents have smartphones, to a degree...I do think there's a bit more exposure in BK, though my girls say they have friends in BY and Oros with just as much.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 2:42 pm
Bais kaila girls seem to enjoy school. Someone told me she doesnt send there but as she put it "their doing something right" . At one point they had a bad name due to some of the girls but they put their foot down and have a very nice crowd of girls now.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:32 pm
amother wrote:
Bais kaila girls seem to enjoy school. Someone told me she doesnt send there but as she put it "their doing something right" . At one point they had a bad name due to some of the girls but they put their foot down and have a very nice crowd of girls now.

How long ago did they start switch the crowd?

I also wonder how long it’s gonna take for the crowd of girls to turn about, given that sisters of whoever already attended will be going there too, so in a way really they can’t change the crowd fast... meaning f there was a significant number of families with certain exposure, it’s not gonnna fizzle out soon...

Emotional

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:43 pm
amother wrote:
I went to bk too but I think it may have changed in the last 20 years 👵🏻

Well two decades ago Bais Kaila had been the only high school in Lakewood for years. It was primarily kollel families, cuz that was who lived here. Bais Shaindel and Bais Yaakov were pretty new on the scene.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:48 pm
First of all not the whole bais kaila was a less yeshivish crowd. Plenty of girls went there and are yeshivish. They changed their crowd probably 4 to 5 years ago. I dont meant the complete crowd, cuz they still had alot of good people.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:55 pm
amother wrote:
First of all not the whole bais kaila was a less yeshivish crowd. Plenty of girls went there and are yeshivish. They changed their crowd probably 4 to 5 years ago. I dont meant the complete crowd, cuz they still had alot of good people.

I know some prominent yeshivish families who have sent their girls to BK consistently over about 20 years. They are the ones that never pulled out when some of the "new" schools opened.

At a certain point, some of the newer schools opened and tried to be selective by taking only a certain crowd, leaving BK with the people that remained, plus anyone these new schools didn't want. This lead to alot of the elitism that we still see going on in Lakewood. It also lead to some people seeing BK in a more negative light.

The Vaad then stepped in and instituted a system whereby every school had to accept a mix of girls into their school. This is ongoing in all schools in Lakewood (though some schools don't do this for their beginning years, until they establish themselves...)

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 5:43 pm
Ftr, I don’t mind “not yeshivish”, if anything I’m not yeahoviah myself but my kids don’t listen to any non-Jewish music and don’t watch non-Jewish videos, and they don’t use gadgets like tablets, iPads, computer games etc.

My dd got concerned that in one of the schools mentioned, the majority of girls (I’m not saying 90-95%, I don’t know the rate obviously), but a significant majority watches movies etc; she says she knows almost the whole grade of girls a few years older and is worried that it is not what she does or want to do.

Can anyone confirm or clarify?

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 6:46 pm
amother wrote:
Ftr, I don’t mind “not yeshivish”, if anything I’m not yeahoviah myself but my kids don’t listen to any non-Jewish music and don’t watch non-Jewish videos, and they don’t use gadgets like tablets, iPads, computer games etc.

My dd got concerned that in one of the schools mentioned, the majority of girls (I’m not saying 90-95%, I don’t know the rate obviously), but a significant majority watches movies etc; she says she knows almost the whole grade of girls a few years older and is worried that it is not what she does or want to do.

Can anyone confirm or clarify?

My dd's are in Bais Kaila, and I love the school and highly recommend it. BUT, a lot of their classmates listen to non-Jewish music, watch non-Jewish movies and use all kinds of gadgets, go online and have cell phones.

Most people I know who send to Bais Yaakov and Oros also let their kids watch non-Jewish movies and a lot of my dd's friends in other Lakewood schools also have cell phones. I don't
know how many girls in other schools listen to non-Jewish music or use gadgets and go online.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 6:53 pm
amother wrote:
My dd's are in Bais Kaila, and I love the school and highly recommend it. BUT, a lot of their classmates listen to non-Jewish music, watch non-Jewish movies and use all kinds of gadgets, go online and have cell phones.

Most people I know who send to Bais Yaakov and Oros also let their kids watch non-Jewish movies and a lot of my dd's friends in other Lakewood schools also have cell phones. I don't
know how many girls in other schools listen to non-Jewish music or use gadgets and go online.

Kind ladies please tell me if that is so!!! Help, do I really live under a rock, and many kids in here high schools do as the amother above said?
Nonjewish misic and movies done by many girls in Lakewood high schools??? In schools mentioned, not in the ones that have are known lechatchila for student body to do “things”???
Girls having a cell phone - do you mean a kosher phone, own with texting or smartphones?

ETA: slate gray, what do you mean by “a lot of girls”- majority that is sufficient to set the tone and put peer pressure? From your feeling, is it higher share doing hat in bk than oros? Same?

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 6:57 pm
amother wrote:
Kind ladies please tell me if that is so!!! Help, do I really live under a rock, and many kids in here high schools do as the amother above said?
Nonjewish misic and movies done by many girls in Lakewood high schools??? In schools mentioned, not in the ones that have are known lechatchila for student body to do “things”???
Girls having a cell phone - do you mean a kosher phone, own with texting or smartphones?

I don't know about non-Jewish music in other schools.

Non-Jewish movies, definitely. Different people are watching different things, but yes, most people I know in Lakewood let their kids watch non-Jewish movies. Even some who are a lot more yeshivish than I am.

Girls definitely have cell phones, most have talk and text only. For some people it's officially the "family phone". But they have a few "family phones" so each kids has their own. Some girls text from their mother's phones. But most of my dd's friends text her, including those who are not in Bais Kaila.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 7:15 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know about non-Jewish music in other schools.

Non-Jewish movies, definitely. Different people are watching different things, but yes, most people I know in Lakewood let their kids watch non-Jewish movies. Even some who are a lot more yeshivish than I am.

Girls definitely have cell phones, most have talk and text only. For some people it's officially the "family phone". But they have a few "family phones" so each kids has their own. Some girls text from their mother's phones. But most of my dd's friends text her, including those who are not in Bais Kaila.

Where do they get them from? And in whose house are they watching it? How is this common knowledge and I've been researching for months and never heard this as the norm in BY or Oros?!?

All the 12th graders I know have flip phones. Very few have texting.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics