Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
I can't keep up with her appetite for BOOKS!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 6:54 am
In the same boat with a very avid reader.
We go to the library on Sunday with a backpack and she takes 6-10 books and that will get her through to shabbos.
My daughter is also 8 but reads advanced books but loves the Thea Stilton and even Gerenimo Stilton books and those are not advanced at all. And there are tons available at the library.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 7:34 am
Authors to look for

Edward Eager
Astrid Lindgren
Eleanor Estes
P.L. Travers (if you think she would like Mary Poppins)
Definitely the Betsy-Tacey books, but only a few of them are for her age group
These are all a bit older, buy should be easy enough to find on ebay.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 8:13 am
Rappel wrote:
Harriet the Spy

Everything written by Dianna Wynne Jones

Warriors series (anthropomorphized cats)

Mrs Frisby and the rats of NIMH

At her age, I was reading Sherlock Holmes, but it isn't very "girly."

Thank you for reminding me about Harriet the spy!!!!

And seeker, I have about 200 children’s books at home. You are welcome to come borrow as many as you want. A lot of them were mentioned here, but I’m sure you can find some that she didn’t read that. I have a lot of the books in the warriors series that’s mentioned above. I also have a child that reads at least one book a day. Has your daughter started Harry Potter?

anon for this

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 9:10 am
Some books that I haven't seen listed yet:

The Mysterious Disappearance of Leon I Mean Noel by Ellen Raskin (I think your daughter is probably a little young for the better known The Westing Game by the same author).

My kids liked Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. They also liked Eoin Colfer's books Legend books (one was called The Legend of the Worst Boy in the World).

She may also like Marcus Lehmann's books--The Adopted Princess, Itamar, Bustenai, many others.

If you have a kindle or tablet, many libraries allow you to borrow ebooks. This is a good option when you can't get to the library, plus you don't have to worry about returning them on time. Of course you can't read them on Shabbos.

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 9:14 am
Lots of ideas, thanks!

Not going to do ebooks because screentime.
I big time hate things like Judy Moody and Junie B. Jones.
You've reminded me of a bunch of childhood favorites I had totally forgotten. Going to go hunt them down now.
And a few new ideas to check out!

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 9:14 am
The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright. It’s the first of a four-book series, very charming. My 9-year-old dd and I are both enjoying reading the series. I’ve only read the first two so far though.

Also Enid Blyton, don’t know if anyone mentioned her, she has written many mysteries which my daughter enjoyed reading.

Oh, and Barbara Brooks Wallace - she wrote a bunch of mysteries which are very enthralling, you get drawn in and can’t stop reading, at least my daughter couldn’t 😀. Peppermints In The Parlor is a favorite of mine, and has a sequel.

aricelli

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 9:15 am
Flat stanley?

Zehava

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 9:17 am
I read thick chapter books at her age. Jewish ones ofcourse, at her age it’s just easier to be sure that they’re clean enough. Get her a membership at a Jewish library, if she reads fast it doesn’t pay to buy unless you’re looking to start your own home library.

Cheshire cat

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 9:20 am
Enid blyton is timeless.
She wrote several series (fabulous four, etc) and there are also pretty collections of her short stories

Cheshire cat

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 9:20 am
Best of olomeinu anthology

little neshamala

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 9:23 am
seeker wrote:
I think Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys are also for older kids (never liked them personally but I guess they're popular because lots of other people do?)

My 8 year old loves nancy drew and hardy boys. Theyre clean, so it cant hurt to try. There are also young nancy drews and young hardy boys, which are for sure fine for an 8 year old.

My daughter also loves geronimo stilton and the magic tree house series

anon for this

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 9:25 am
seeker wrote:
Lots of ideas, thanks!

Not going to do ebooks because screentime.
I big time hate things like Judy Moody and Junie B. Jones.
You've reminded me of a bunch of childhood favorites I had totally forgotten. Going to go hunt them down now.
And a few new ideas to check out!

I get your point about screentime. I have a kindle ereader and sometimes download library books for my son to read when he can't sleep.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 9:31 am
little neshamala wrote:
My 8 year old loves nancy drew and hardy boys. Theyre clean, so it cant hurt to try. There are also young nancy drews and young hardy boys, which are for sure fine for an 8 year old.

My daughter also loves geronimo stilton and the magic tree house series

The originals (and reprints) are fine. The more recent ones have themes you may not like, such as boyfriend obsessions and modern culture.

slpmom

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 9:44 am
My daughter is like this also. Her favorite series right now are critter club, Heidi heckelbeck, the fix it friends, and owl diaries. She also likes the amelia bedilia chapter books and Katie kazzo, those are more of a 2nd grade level though

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 9:46 am
Lots of good ideas mentioned. I would also recommend the land of stories series. Very fat books for that age range Very Happy

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 11:06 am
I haven’t read through, but here is what my kids have read.

CS lewis series
A series of unfortunate events
Harry Potter
39 clues
Baby sitters club
Baby sitters club kid sisters
Sisters in history
Dear America
Roald Dahl
Judy Blume
Little house on the prairie series
All of a kind family
By times
Bakers dozen

bbhem5

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 11:18 am
I can't believe no one mentioned Joanna Hurwitz! Some of her books are definitely at this level. I loved Jean Little at that age. My daughters enjoyed Cheery Bim Band.

ETA: I think it's Mrs. Nimby and the Rats of Nimh but I could be mistaken. It's been a looong tme!

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 11:25 am
bbhem5 wrote:
I can't believe no one mentioned Joanna Hurwitz! Some of her books are definitely at this level. I loved Jean Little at that age. My daughters enjoyed Cheery Bim Band.

ETA: I think it's Mrs. Nimby and the Rats of Nimh but I could be mistaken. It's been a looong tme!

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh

ectomorph

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 11:49 am
smss wrote:
Pippi Longstocking
Charlotte's Web
Mr. Popper's Penguins
All of a Kind Family
Betsy-Tacy (series)
Laura Ingalls Wilder books
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (series)
Is Magic Treehouse too young for her?
great list.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 11:52 am
bbhem5 wrote:

Mrs Frisby

There’s also racso and the rats if nimh

And another one which I never read.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children