Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Megillah for women

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 5:54 pm
Why are we obligated in 2 megillah readings? From my experience and talking to other women it’s very difficult for women with young kids!

ssspectacular

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 6:05 pm
Hearing the megillah is one of the best parts of Purim for me.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 6:11 pm
I go to a ladies minyan in the morning before dh goes to daven. I come home pressure free not having to run to megilla soon and have a long calm morning.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 7:06 pm
ssspectacular wrote:
Hearing the megillah is one of the best parts of Purim for me.

Twice though?

And what’s a ladies minyan?

doctorima

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 9:53 am
Because we were saved just like the men! This is another one of those where if we only had to hear it once, we'd have people complaining why we're less than the men who go to hear it twice. We're all in this together, and arrange our schedules to make it work.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 10:30 am
Really we're only obligated to hear megilla in the morning, men and women alike. It just became accepted to hear at night as well.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 10:33 am
I like having as many opportunities to hear as possible, because there are so many variables. Loud kids, sleeping in, anything could happen.

Aylat

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 10:34 am
Megilla is great. Why would not want the mitzva? Would you rather be relegated to house and seuda prep?

doctorima

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 11:10 am
amother wrote:
Really we're only obligated to hear megilla in the morning, men and women alike. It just became accepted to hear at night as well.

Do you have a source for this? My understanding is that both men and women are legally obligated to hear it twice, by night and by day, and although the day reading is a higher level of obligation (not sure exactly what that means, but I learned that once), they are both absolute requirements, not just minhag.

groovy1224

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 11:16 am
It's difficult because of factors we create ourselves, not things we're commanded to do.

We're not commanded to give shalach manos to all our friends, neighbors, teachers, therapists, coworkers, and distant relatives. But (a lot of) people do, which is what creates that Purim day insanity. We can't then go and say 'it's too much to hear megillah twice. I have so much to do!!'

If there's anything you should cut out, it should be the number of deliveries. Not hearing the megillah!!

meyerlemon44

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 3:51 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
It's difficult because of factors we create ourselves, not things we're commanded to do.

We're not commanded to give shalach manos to all our friends, neighbors, teachers, therapists, coworkers, and distant relatives. But (a lot of) people do, which is what creates that Purim day insanity. We can't then go and say 'it's too much to hear megillah twice. I have so much to do!!'

If there's anything you should cut out, it should be the number of deliveries. Not hearing the megillah!!

I definitely think you're right in that people make Purim much harder for themselves by giving out hundreds of shalach manos all over town, but even if that weren't the case it would still be difficult to arrange for childcare so that both parents can hear the megillah twice.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 4:04 pm
meyerlemon44 wrote:
I definitely think you're right in that people make Purim much harder for themselves by giving out hundreds of shalach manos all over town, but even if that weren't the case it would still be difficult to arrange for childcare so that both parents can hear the megillah twice.

How is child care difficult if you alternate the timing with your spouse? It only becomes difficult if you need every spare minute of the day to deliver the many MM.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics