Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Niagara for Chol Hamoed
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:39 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Thanks everyone. I know about the Chabad website and activities. We’re not looking to spend a ton so probably won’t do those. DH is looking for non-Chabad minyanim if possible (nothing against Chabad). I heard there are a lot of Chassidim there Chol Hamoed and they make their own minyanim at the hotels?

Also just wondering what people’s opinions are about spending extra for a falls view room - worth it?

And would appreciate any tips about cheap kid-friendly activities. Thanks!

for the record, whoever leads the minyan is the nusach they follow. my son (mod orth) led regularly when he worked for me. there is no regular leader. avelim get priority then others.

during chol hamoed there are so many minyans and they will all be led by different men. I am unaware of any hotels that have minyanim scheduled.

rabbi zaltzman knows niagara like the back of his hand. he gets the best prices on hotels and supports the niagara community (which is very not frum and he works hard to mekarev) which proceeds from tourist activity. it costs him a FORTUNE to run kosher food in niagara falls. I think $40 a person is VERY fair.

Anyone who knows my history knows that I know what I am talking about here.

1untamedgirl

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:47 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I think I checked earlier and a supper is $40 a person, thats $240 for a family of 6, how much more can the hotel be, if they let people in for supper?

Looks like they have special Pesach meals (dinner for the kids would only be $25.42 and for adults $39.83 but you can always get the lunch plan ($15.25 per person) and save it for dinner. Keep in mind that these are Canadian prices so it would cost less if you exchange your American currency.

https://www.jewishniagarafalls.com/bll/

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:51 pm
1untamedgirl wrote:
Looks like they have special Pesach meals (dinner for the kids would only be $25.42 and for adults $39.83 but you can always get the lunch plan ($15.25 per person) and save it for dinner. Keep in mind that these are Canadian prices so it would cost less if you exchange your American currency.

https://www.jewishniagarafalls.com/bll/

All prices are in USD, subject to local taxes/fees. Seating capacity in the Ballroom is 200 and we will not oversell. We cannot guarantee specific seating. Late shows are non-refundable. Only persons with a meal ticket can enter the ballroom area (If you are a family of 5 with 4 meal tickets, only 4 will be admitted! (Infants may enter free))

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:55 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
All prices are in USD, subject to local taxes/fees. Seating capacity in the Ballroom is 200 and we will not oversell. We cannot guarantee specific seating. Late shows are non-refundable. Only persons with a meal ticket can enter the ballroom area (If you are a family of 5 with 4 meal tickets, only 4 will be admitted! (Infants may enter free))

Sadly, people ripped me off when I had the buffet during simchat torah. Glad he has that rule.

1untamedgirl

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:57 pm

Oh wow. I missed that part. I was going to suggest that two of the kids share an adult meal but it looks like that is not even an option. That is expensive. But the rules are ridiculous that everyone needs a meal ticket, what if someone doesn't want to eat but still wants to sit with his/her family? What if the young kids dont need the full meal as they can just eat a little bit from the parents plate? Can the family get tickets for seating without purchasing a meal?

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:01 pm
1untamedgirl wrote:
Oh wow. I missed that part. I was going to suggest that two of the kids share an adult meal but it looks like that is not even an option. That is expensive. But the rules are ridiculous that everyone needs a meal ticket, what if someone doesn't want to eat but still wants to sit with his/her family? What if the young kids dont need the full meal as they can just eat a little bit from the parents plate? Can the family get tickets for seating without purchasing a meal?

Limited capacity.

1untamedgirl

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:04 pm
Limited capacity.

Then they should offer takeout. Or open another hour if there is a need for it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:08 pm
1untamedgirl wrote:
Then they should offer takeout. Or open another hour if there is a need for it.

Nobody is forced to go to Niagara for Pesach.

1untamedgirl

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:15 pm

Sounds very welcoming Rolling Eyes

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:23 pm
I was by afew hotel programs that meal tickets were needed, in america and in Israel. I completely understand this policy. Or else people take advantage & eat dinner 3 times.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:24 pm
Believe it or not, Chabad does not exist to freely host endless amounts of Jewish tourists. Chabads - everywhere - exist to service the local communities. Of course, they're happy to help as best they can, and most Chabad in tourist locations have detailed info for tourists ont their websites. But try to imagine how many calls and emails they get from frum tourists who want Chabad to accomodate them, feed them, plan their vacation for them...etc. Whatever you imagine, you're only just scratching the surface. It doesn't mean they don't care, or don't want to help. But you're on vacation, you have to budget in food and everything else, just like you would if you went somewhere there was no Chabad.

gilamom

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:26 pm

And this is why we changed our itinerary to go to Philadelphia instead. Booked our rooms, activities, planned our itinerary, called to ask about buses and were told by Person A not to worry because they would rent buses leaving from Boro Park as needed. That was on a Friday. Called on Monday morning to book our bus tickets and were told by Person B that it was sold out from Boro Park, too bad on us. When we asked what would happen since we'd already booked everything else, the response and attitude were so off putting (You don't know how to get to Canada? Take a train, a plane, who cares) that even though we were going to book plane tickets we decided not to. Nobody is forced to be courteous either, it's just part of our makeup. Well, for some of us.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:36 pm
gilamom wrote:
And this is why we changed our itinerary to go to Philadelphia instead. Booked our rooms, activities, planned our itinerary, called to ask about buses and were told by Person A not to worry because they would rent buses leaving from Boro Park as needed. That was on a Friday. Called on Monday morning to book our bus tickets and were told by Person B that it was sold out from Boro Park, too bad on us. When we asked what would happen since we'd already booked everything else, the response and attitude were so off putting (You don't know how to get to Canada? Take a train, a plane, who cares) that even though we were going to book plane tickets we decided not to. Nobody is forced to be courteous either, it's just part of our makeup. Well, for some of us.

Expecting other people to plan your transportation is not typical.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:38 pm
1untamedgirl wrote:
Sounds very welcoming Rolling Eyes

And your post sounded very entitled.

gilamom

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:41 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Expecting other people to plan your transportation is not typical.

I found a mode of transportation that worked for us and called to book a ticket. Thought that's how it works.... Rolling Eyes

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:42 pm
for kids under 12 is a birth certificate enough to cross the border from U.S. to Canada and Canada to the U.S.?

1untamedgirl

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:44 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I was by afew hotel programs that meal tickets were needed, in america and in Israel. I completely understand this policy. Or else people take advantage & eat dinner 3 times.

Meal tickets are one thing, not allowing a family member in because they couldnt afford the ticket/didn't want to eat/allergies, etc is barbaric.

gilamom

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:44 pm
And your post sounded very entitled.

Person B, I presume? LOL

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:45 pm
1untamedgirl wrote:
Meal tickets are one thing, not allowing a family member in because they couldnt afford the ticket/didn't want to eat/allergies, etc is barbaric.

Are you complaining about a Rabbi you don't know, regarding meals you had no plan to purchase?

1untamedgirl

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:54 pm
Are you complaining about a Rabbi you don't know, regarding meals you had no plan to purchase?

You are making a lot of assumptions Scratching Head Are all Canadians this rude or only those who post under amother? Can't Believe It
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics