Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for in-laws

love2eat

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 10:45 am
Hi! I'm going to my in-laws for pesach as we do every year so far...
Any ideas what I can get her as a gift , to say thank you for having us and cooking, cleaning, putting up with every thing ,the noisy house etc... U get the jist...
I'm not looking to spend alot. Just something practical and nice and that won't break the bank..
Pesach is almost here and I need help!!
all ideas welcome!!!! TIA

singleagain

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 10:54 am
What do they NEED
What do they WANT
What do they LIKE

Maybe they could use a new pesach urn?

Maybe they've always dreamed of having a really nice cup for Elijah?

Maybe they really like liquor and you can get a nice bottle of klp brandy

Don't be generic... Be specific

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 11:18 am
What about a nice framed photo of them with your family?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 11:19 am
One year I gave my mother but law hand and foot cream, because I know that she likes to pamper herself . And I wrote a note that after rubbing her hands raw with all the cleaning and standing on her feet for hours preparing she should take a break and pamper herself.
For my father in law we got him a kos shel eliyahu ( a pretty inexpensive one we bought on a vacation in Israel .)

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 12:10 pm
You want something personal or for the house?

A nice engraved matzo box
A set of personalized zemiros
Tablecloth
Embroidered towels
Flowers

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 12:46 pm
People usually need things - see if you can find out what (as I'm at the mother-in-law stage)

linen, (blankets & pillows),towels, salad bowl (specific type & size), chulent serving bowl,
(expensive - mixer, food processor), gift certificate to buy herself a new robe or clothing, gift certificate to housewares store. New set of silverware, glasses, challah board & cover - if it's old, set of comfortablefolding chairs.

If you've been there as a guest, you can probably be aware of what could be really used.

dankbar

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 12:51 pm
Amazing savings had recently hammered holders for dips that you can just place in with the plastic containers, for cheap.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 1:02 pm
As a mil myself, I love that you really appreciate all the hard work being done, (even though it's a labor of love). It's so nice to hear someone with a positive sentiment about their mil. More important than what you get, is the expression of hakaras hatov. I would include a heartfelt note, expressing your appreciation. There is set of lovely monagrammed towels at Closeeout Connection for $20. If you were my dil, I wouldn't want you to spend a lot. Enjoy your yom tov.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 1:16 pm
A calendar with all the family’s names
Pictures and birthdays written on it

trixx

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 1:26 pm
Digital photo frame

Nechamie

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 3:42 pm
I'm thinking linen, towels...I host a lot and can always use that..

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 7:13 pm
My mother's top 3 gifts we've ever gotten for her are:
1) her digital picture frame (~$150-200)
2) mugs with pictures of all the kids and grandkids (~$15 each with Snapfish sales)
3) expandable trivets- you put the hot pan in it and it adjusts to fit the pan and you carry it to the table like that. (~$20 I think)

Would any of those appeal to your budget/ their taste?

cm

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 7:44 pm
Dissenting view here - don't give stuff for the house or table to anyone who has been married more than a few years (or is generally at a more settled stage of life, regardless of age or marital status). If you know *for sure* that they want a particular item, by all means, get it. Otherwise, please don't.

Offer to make/bring substantial parts of the meals. Bring shmurah matzah for the family. Give a gift card for a day spa. Express your deepest thanks. Bring something for them to read over yom tov. Be an easy guest. If your in-laws like fashion, small jewelry or accessories (maybe, if you truly know their taste). Photos of the grandchildren are always a good choice. Objects with photos on them (mugs, mouse pads, magnets) - if they use that sort of thing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics