Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
How to teach a toddler bladder control?
1  2  Next

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 4:12 pm
I started potty training on Thursday. Shimmie loves sitting on the potty, making in it, getting his victory dance and treat. But he has no inkling of bladder control. He doesnt stay dry, doesnt ask for the potty, and literally goes in the potty or has an accident every 15-20 minutes! I'm going crazy - I never have respite from putting him on the potty or cleaning up his accidents. how does a toddler learn bladder control? How long should I jsut keeping putting himon the potty until he starts actually asking for the toilet? thanks. (he's 2 years and 4 months, and I want to see this through now, so please dont advise me to wait until he's 3. it's not an option.)

MommyLuv

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 5:31 pm
I really don't think you can teach bladder awareness. It's a developmental stage that comes when the kid is ready... Confused sorry that I'm no help, but this has been my experience with potty training DD...

sister

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 5:42 pm
I know you dont want to heat this but your child may not be ready... Sorry, boys take longer Sad

MahPitom

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 5:46 pm
Are you letting him run around naked? The new feeling of that might help. It takes 3 solid naked days until the 15 minutes becomes 40 minutes. Keep at it, it’s worth it. and when you’re done in 2 weeks from now, go away for a Shabbos or something! You will need it!

GAMZu

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 6:22 pm
(Double post)

Last edited by GAMZu on Sat, Dec 15 2007, 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

GAMZu

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 6:25 pm
Don't let anyone tell you it's too early.
My 1 1/2 year old is able to stop mid-stream if he begins to pee on the carpet and I tell him to stop and go on the potty. They HAVE the bladder control early. They just have to discover it and want to do it. Your son sounds like he does want it.
So try putting him every 20 minutes, then make the intervals longer and watch him.
If he starts to pee, say, "STOP!" and he probably will. Then continue on the potty.

Boys Mom

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 6:48 pm
As a mom of 5 boys k"ah (with training my twin boys too LOL ) I can tell you it takes time.

I always let them run around without any underwear/pamper/pants on for a few days. As soon as they started going I would tell them to stop and RUN with them to the potty/toilet. A day or two like this and it got much better. They did get the hang of it but it takes time and the first few days are the hardest - since they have to learn what to do.

I also gave them alot to drink so they I knew they would have to go and then they were able to learn.

Hatzlocho - any questions I'll be glad to help.

mumoo

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 7:12 pm
you can 'teach' bladder control to a toddler when you can 'teach' a 3 month old to walk.

even if you think he has the ability.... then he needs the motivation-also very hard to 'teach'

why is waiting until he is ready not an option? if you push him when he is not ready-for whatever reason, you risk making it an issue which often results in purposeful withholding and constipation or purposeful accidents/more mess for you

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 7:32 pm
Oh, I tried letting him be naked, but all he did was do his business on teh floor. If I quickly take him to the potty, he does not continue - he holds back until a later date.

Gamzu thanks for the encouragement that it's okay to train at 2 yr 4 month old.

Mumoo, I want to send him to cheder in a coupleof months iyh and they dont take kids in diapers, which is why I have to do this in the nextcoupleof months. He asked me to start putting him on the potty, so Id' have to be dumb to push it off and force diapers on him!-

Boys Mom

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 7:38 pm
Try it for another few days and see if there is any improvement. Then you'll know if you should continue it now.

mumoo

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 7:55 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Mumoo, I want to send him to cheder in a coupleof months iyh and they dont take kids in diapers, which is why I have to do this in the nextcoupleof months.
I understand, Mamabear, but the damage from foisting potty training is real. Even if he asks, we mothers need to make sure children are ready and wanting-even if it is totally inconvenient (I've 'trained 5 in the last 18 years) without a doubt, iy'H, your children will not stand under the chuppah in diapers, but it may not be in your timetable
Mama Bear wrote:
He asked me to start putting him on the potty, so Id' have to be dumb to push it off and force diapers on him!-
just like you instinctively know not to force diapers, also don't force the potty on him either.

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 8:37 pm
Breaking news: he just did his first #2 in the potty, and he is so thrilled. Maybe this will help, who knows. Smile

GAMZu

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 10:04 pm
It's so obvious that he wants it and is ready. It would be dumb to push it off just because he didn't get the hang of it on the first day.
(My 1st boy was trained at 2y 3m and my 2nd is partially trained at 20 months now.)

Tefila

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 10:09 pm
My 3 yr old twin abit older then yours is fully trained but needs every 1hr sometimes more. Some kids have a smaller bladder then others and some adults too u know Tongue Out I do think though with age and more muscle control they may not have to go so often What

MahPitom

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 7:27 am
Mama Bear wrote:
If I quickly take him to the potty, he does not continue - he holds back until a later date.

he knows exactly what he's doing, don't think he has no control!

mumoo

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 8:40 am
most experts say bowel control and training should come before bladder control/training, so it looks like you are on the right path

Boys Mom

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 5:15 pm
That's great!!! It takes a couple of days till they get the hang of it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 6:46 pm
MB, I wanted to clarify something -- I don't think it's possible to teach bladder control, but it's something they inherently gain on their own. He probably will with time, but it's not something you can really help him with, IMO Smile

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 8:58 pm
today he had longer intervals between needing the potty, and fewer accidents. He is not 'asking' yet but I can start sensing when he might need to go soon - crossing his legs, touching himself down there, acting anxious, so I've been watching him closely to know when to put him on the potty and have hadmore hits than misses. I asked around today and my friends and siblings told me that at this age it can take TWO WEEKS until they can stay dry and actually ask for the potty. I'll be patient...

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 9:15 pm
My ds is 18 mths and I didn't even know potty training was on the horizon. I thought esp. b/c he was a boy it was far away.

a)how do you know they're ready?
b)ds seems to have delayed speech, expressive not receptive, can this affect things?
c)What would be the first step to try?
d)I'm not pushing at all, I know that I slept dry at 12 mths, and was potty trained completely at 18 mths, but ds is obviously a boy and I heard they took longer.
e)Not thinking about this seriously yet, but was just interested...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training