Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
I have not done one thing for Pesach yet
1  2  Next

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 9:35 am
Its just my immediate family for Pesach this year. I'm having some functional medical issues that are causing me to have low energy/exhaustion/weakness. I have the time to get to work, I don't have the energy. I have a big old house with messy children and many, many crumbs. I'm not having guests so at least I don't have to stress about the food. I have some cleaning help--about 8 hours a week, but I need her to help me with normal things like laundry and dishes. My husband isn't very available but he will help for an hour or two here and there when he can. Starting to get stressed.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 9:43 am
Same here, except I have no help at all.

My plan is to sell all the chametz.
Wipe down surfaces and cover.
Kasher stainless steel sinks.
Clean the fridge and cover shelves.
Mop the floors (may get help with that one.)
I have a Pesach toaster oven and portable stove top, so that helps a lot.
I just tape up the cabinets for the week.

Zehu. I just daven that Hashem understands I'm doing my best.

All year long I am super careful about where I eat, because I dread Pesach cleaning so much.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 9:45 am
Start by making a rule in the house that from now till pesach, food is only allowed in the kitchen. And only do what really needs to be done, that is to get rid of chometz.
How old are your kids? Are they the age that can help already?

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 9:46 am
amother wrote:
Start by making a rule in the house that from now till pesach, food is only allowed in the kitchen. And only do what really needs to be done, that is to get rid of chometz.
How old are your kids? Are they the age that can help already?

Not really, my oldest is 8 and he is a difficult child.

hotzenplotz

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 9:56 am
Line two cabinets in the kitchen to and its pesach.

and as for the rest of the cabinets, dump all chametz in a box and tape up the cabinets for non use with masking tape and its pesach.

clean the fridge and line it and its pesach.

clean all floors. no scrubbing. Vinegar for wood floors and ammonia for non wood to make all chametz not edible for a dog(thats the halacha) and its pesach.

clean the tables and cover with whatever and its pesache.

Take out your leichters and tape a white shelf paper on the china closet to make it inaccessible and its pesach.
A koshern pesach!!!
Wake up erev pesach and cook soup and chicken and potatoes and its eggs and it is pesach.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 10:05 am
First of all Refuah Shelaima! Hug
Have your helper clean as usual which should mean no crumbs.
Then only kitniyos in the house like popcorn, rice cake, rice krispies, rice, French fries.
Any pasta or bread eat outside.
Purchase a rolling rack of shelves for pesach goods and close up all cabinets and ignore what's inside.
Then proceed with kasherjng the kitchen.
You can do this! We'll cheer you on. Very Happy

hesha

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 10:07 am
Ask your cleaning lady to come a few more hours for the next two wks
It could save your sanity!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 10:14 am
I never start before rosh chodesh Smile

Take the easiest route in each area.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 10:24 am
I've also done nothing, though I do have somewhat more cleaning help. My plan: next week my cleaning lady is going to be focusing on vacuuming, even if that means other stuff she usually does doesn't get done, since she won't just be vacuuming the floors but also couch cushions and such (there are definitely crumbs in those around here). While I wish I was more on top of kids not bringing food out of the kitchen, I'm just not, but starting Rosh Chodesh Nissan, I am. For those two weeks, I manage, because it's a priority.

We are closing off the playroom for the duration of Pesach. The kids will choose a few favorite toys (and we're buying a few new ones in honor of yt) and the rest will be locked in the playroom for the week. The chosen toys will go in the bath with them sometime next week, that's how they will get cleaned. Stuffed animals will just go in the wash.

Dh already put in his schedule to come home early the Wednesday before Pesach so that we can kasher the kitchen that night. The cleaning lady will be focusing on scrubbing down the kitchen and fridge that day so it will be ready for kashering. We are not home for the sedarim, so I don't need to cook in advance or do too much advance shopping. That's my sanity saving plan. Did the same last year and it worked fine, even with a few unexpected complications cropping up.

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 10:27 am
Sorry to be unhelpful, but just felt like sharing that my immediate reaction to this was "I'm so far ahead of you, I've done one thing for Pesach... looked at the calendar, saw two weeks left, and went into hiding"

karat

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 10:29 am
Call a local high school and ask them if they can recruit a few girls to come help you with the cleaning and/or childcare.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 10:48 am
I have also not done a thing yet for pesach- worthless in my home, hate being a police man... the later we start the better for all of us

yksraya

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 11:49 am
A few wks ago in the parsha, hashem told Moshe rebeinu to make the mishkan, so Moshe asked hashem "is it even possible for a human being to do that?" so hashem told him "you just start using your hands and pretend your making it" and then hashem made the mishkan.

I also feel weaker than other yrs. So I basically told hashem "I'm gonna start doing, I'll use my hands, and you help me". Bh I'm getting there. Slower than other yrs, I do cut corners too, but bh getting there.

oneofakind

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:58 pm
Use only paper, plastic, disposables...cleaning lady shouldn't be spending time washing dishes.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 1:57 pm
Have your cleaning lady start doing some pesach cleaning next week and you do laundry for now. You can fold while sitting so it’s a lower energy job than pesach cleaning imo.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 3:17 pm
Same. Trying to find somewhere to go because I have no desire to do anything.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 3:32 pm
Same. For some reason I don't care though. Itll all get done.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 4:10 pm
Also haven't started . You are not alone..

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 4:16 pm
I never start so early. I had my cleaning lady (haven't had one for two years before three weeks ago) vacuum the whole upstairs last Monday. Including under radiators, in drawers, and under beds.
Next week's sunday and Monday I will do the downstairs. Basically a good vacuuming and kitchen is hardest so will have her focus only on kitchen next Monday and iyh kasher Monday night.
I don't go nuts and never will. That's not what hod wants from us.
I have started a week before Yom tov in the past some years.

dankbar

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 4:27 pm
If you have medical condition maybe you get a home health aide to help you out if you cant function & do basic chores.

Also if you are not feeling well can you sell your entire house for chometz, & go to someone for pesach?

Another option is to hire a cleaning crew of a few workers together for 2_3 days & they finish off everything together at once.

Maybe if you don't feel well an organization can send you volunteers to help you out at home or take your kids out so you & your cleaning lady can get more done, in meantime.
Hatzlacha! REFUAH SHLEIMAH!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics