Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
My 11 yr old going to wear nude tights - shave legs or no?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 10:41 pm
ppl told me that I am supposed to wait till she asks me to shave her legs..but she plans to wear nude tights on yom tov..what do I do?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 10:43 pm
I would not allow an 11 year old kid to shave her legs. It's not really noticeable under tights.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 10:45 pm
get her to try on the tights. Ask her if she likes the way her legs look.

yksraya

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 10:48 pm
1. 11 is still young, no need to shave yet unless ultra visible.

2. Don't wait till she asks you to shave, teach her about shaving. It's our job to tell our kids all about grooming and self care. Although you have time till she's 8th grade or high school.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 10:55 pm
yksraya wrote:
1. 11 is still young, no need to shave yet unless ultra visible.

2. Don't wait till she asks you to shave, teach her about shaving. It's our job to tell our kids all about grooming and self care. Although you have time till she's 8th grade or high school.

Yes- I wish my mom wouldve spoken to me and not waited for summertime when I looked around and felt awful
And asked her

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:03 pm
Please show her how to shave. One of my worst memories was hearing a few girls laughing at me when they thought I wasnt there because I was wearing white knee highs with visible hair smushed underneath. I wanted to die of shame. My mother should have been on top of that sort of thing. I dont know why she didnt take care of my hygiene. I had to muddle through on my own till I figured it out. I never had the right clothing, shoes, accessories, or grooming. It was so painful.

Pickle1

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:07 pm
op here- I agree its horrible not to be told, I went through the same (being embarrassed in camp by swimming etc..) I want to make sure my daughter doesn't go through any of that - I just wasn't sure when its normal nowadays for a girl to start shaving her legs? when she puts them on u only notice if ur looking close - so just leave as is till 8th grade or so? and while we're on this summer camp is coming up what abt under arms - when is normal to start that?

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:07 pm
amother wrote:
Please show her how to shave. One of my worst memories was hearing a few girls laughing at me when they thought I wasnt there because I was wearing white knee highs with visible hair smushed underneath. I wanted to die of shame. My mother should have been on top of that sort of thing. I dont know why she didnt take care of my hygiene. I had to muddle through on my own till I figured it out. I never had the right clothing, shoes, accessories, or grooming. It was so painful.

That was me!! Can’t believe someone else out there had to go through all that!

Op- my 11 year old will also put on nude this summer but she still has a clean leg. If she had a lot of hair I would point it out to her and show her what to do. If it’s just a small amount then just leave it.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:13 pm
amother wrote:

I’m embarrassed to say this but I actually took a shaver from another girl bec I was so embarrassed

yksraya

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:13 pm
Pickle1 wrote:
op here- I agree its horrible not to be told, I went through the same (being embarrassed in camp by swimming etc..) I want to make sure my daughter doesn't go through any of that - I just wasn't sure when its normal nowadays for a girl to start shaving her legs? when she puts them on u only notice if ur looking close - so just leave as is till 8th grade or so? and while we're on this summer camp is coming up what abt under arms - when is normal to start that?

As soon as hair starts to grow there. Everyone is different. Some girls start younger than others. Just teach her what needs to be done.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:14 pm
Pickle1 wrote:

If her hair is visible under whatever legwear she's wearing you need to explain that many girls shave it. Buy her a shaver, teach her how to use it, let her know she can come to you with questions, and leave the rest up to her.

If she has hair under her arms she needs to know that most girls in camp will be shaving that too. It doesn't really matter how old she is, the accepted practice in camp is to not have underarm hair showing.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:16 pm
Serious question: How should I teach my daughter to shave if I never shaved myself? I never needed to, very light fine hair, but DD has darker thicker hair already (she is 11).

yksraya

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:19 pm
amother wrote:
Serious question: How should I teach my daughter to shave if I never shaved myself? I never needed to, very light fine hair, but DD has darker thicker hair already (she is 11).

It's quite simple. get her some shaving cream, and shavers, tell her to be gentle when shaving. She'll figure it.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:20 pm
In general, girls dont want visible hair so as soon as they hit puberty at whatever age that is, they need to start grooming so they are not embarrassed. Of course if they dont care then no need to push but give them the option.

That usually means shaving the leg at least to the knee, wearing swim shorts if too young for a bikini waxing, shaving the underarm, and tweezing or waxing upper lip and between the eyebrows.

chestnut

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:23 pm
amother wrote:

Buy her an American Girl book about body changes.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:24 pm
My dd10 will be wearing a swim-dress; who will be seeing her under-arms?

On the other hand, she has a uni-brow and I've been taking her for the past 6 months for electrolysis. I started taking her before she asked me. I was afraid she would be the target of jokes.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:24 pm
Related - do girls shave the bikini area nowadays? At what age? Or jump to waxing?

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:25 pm
I have an 11 year old daughter who has a son of curly hair (on her head) but Bh her legs are not too noticeable yet. I don’t think it’s time yet. But I do keep an eye and I will tell her and teach her to shave her legs. I too have awful memories in camp and don’t want that for my daughter. But I don’t think it’s an age thing but me of her friends are very hairy and I’m hoping she will start shaving. It’s not my place so not saying anything and neither did I mention anything to my daughter. Each person is diff. Once it’s noticeable it’s time.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:39 pm
amother wrote:
Related - do girls shave the bikini area nowadays? At what age? Or jump to waxing?

Shave sides for camp if needed. Trim center if needed.
(I don't know about girls, just 1 girl and what I'm teaching her. Smile )

aricelli

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 6:42 am
amother wrote:

Btw- for swimming, swim shorts are great
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics