Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Tznius Top for Cleaning Help
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:00 pm
I’m my office there is a dress code that you must adhere to.
We cant wear skimpy clothing and so on. Everyone understands that every business has different standards and procedures.
Why so defensive here? What’s the real issue? If a non Jew asked this question, would there be so much animosity?
To the poster saying you can only do it if it’s a uniform so that people can identify you is just bs.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:29 pm
I've b"H never had to deal with a situation like that.
But my current cleaning help comes with her own scrubs like shirt.
Don't know if she was asked to wear it by someone else or if she just likes it to protect her clothing.
Another cleaning lady I had some years back came one morning and looked all embarrassed. She apologized that she wasn't wearing an appropriate top and do I have anything she can borrow to wear over it !
I was really impressed (especially as I hadn't noticed that she was overly not tzniusdig - and my boys were younger then, so I guess I didn't think about it much).

ora_43

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 5:36 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I’m my office there is a dress code that you must adhere to.
We cant wear skimpy clothing and so on. Everyone understands that every business has different standards and procedures.
Why so defensive here? What’s the real issue? If a non Jew asked this question, would there be so much animosity?
To the poster saying you can only do it if it’s a uniform so that people can identify you is just bs.

It's not a public-facing job.

If you're dealing with the public, there's a dress code so that the business looks professional.

If you're in an office, there's a dress code (spoken or unspoken) to maintain a professional atmosphere.

If you're on your hands and knees scraping caked food from someone's kitchen floor, there's a dress code because... ?

The answer, of course, is that normally there isn't one. And if you ask someone who's cleaning your house to put on more clothes, it doesn't take a genius to realize that it has nothing to do with professionalism and everything to do with you thinking their shirt is cut too low.

That said I don't think there's a problem asking someone to dress to certain standards. The problem is with how it's presented, and more importantly, when. It's much nicer to present it from the get-go, without even having seen the person - "We are very religious, and we ask that people working in our home wear loose pants and long sleeves. We are happy to provide a smock that goes over your clothes when you're working here. Will that be a problem?" That way it's clearly about your standards, and not a judgment of their clothing. Also, they can choose up front, and won't feel forced into it the way they might if they've come to count on the job.

(it's also nice to realize that they're doing something extra for you, and to compensate accordingly - I'm not saying double their pay, but a little something extra can turn you from 'the demanding client' into 'the demanding but awesome client')

amother
Black

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 12:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If they wear regular t-shirts I'm fine with that.
The top that LOTS of ladies are wearing (and FYI they bring it themselves!) is a v neck short sleeve, it's not any more than I expect in my home.

But recently when it got warm she was wearing a short top with laces down the whole center, my boys came home and her cleavage is hanging in their face. My young boys told me, why is dressed like an animal. And if the world dresses like that or not, it is animalistic. Regal people cover themselves. It is very understandable that in Rome do as the Romans, and it is very clear that the women in our community don't dress that way. When you walk into our homes, one can respect that.

Bash away.

Exactly! The above mentioned opinions are nice and noble. Once it boils down to your personal situation... well, that's a different story!

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 2:39 pm
Kohls, macys, anywhere - get something modest and comfy

its very common in my circles to ask her to wear something.

the link is ugly item - get something eye pleasing, so she likes it. why not?

for $15-20 macys/ kohls etc have nice stuff

Burlington maybe too - didnt see there modest tops, but macys has lots. JM brand

Hatzlacha

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 2:42 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Exactly! The above mentioned opinions are nice and noble. Once it boils down to your personal situation... well, that's a different story!

I wouldnt allow my husband or boys or visitors to see a women dressed immodestly IN MY HOUSE.

My house has some standards that protect the Kedusha of my home.

cleanign lady will be happy to wear whatever I give her. at end of the day tell her leave it over doorknob, I will wash it and will wait for your next time.

when they walk in, first thing they do, they walk into bathroom, where clean garment waiting, and they changed.

common practice I have seen all over. and no, I am NOT chassidish. just plain Yerei Shamayim (or striving to at least)

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 4:17 pm
tante_feige wrote:
Imagine a Yeshivish kid seeing a woman in seamed stockings, and saying that she's dressed like a harlot. It should help things make sense.

The kind of seams you get on the chasidishe stockings do not look like the ones that are associated with this. And a woman wearing a midi skirt and shapeless blouse does not fit the look of this either.

You barely even see the seam on the stockings. You have to bend down with a magnifying glass to see it.

The Satmar Rebbe instituted it bc in his day, stockings were shiny nylon and looked like bare legs. The seam made you see that it was tights and not skin.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry