Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Vizhnitz boys
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:07 pm
Hi,

This is a spin-off on toy for large family. Would anyone know if boys age 11 and 12 would be familiar with science?

Would a telescope and/or a microscope be ok?

Thank you

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi,

This is a spin-off on toy for large family. Would anyone know if boys age 11 and 12 would be familiar with science?

Would a telescope and/or a microscope be ok?

Thank you

If they're regular standard run of the mill viznitz boys, they wouldn't know what to do with either of them.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:10 pm
Respectfully asking. Even if they aren't familiar, is it problematic to introduce it to them? Is science intentionally not taught even outside of school?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:11 pm
It really depends on the child. Also if they're from Viznits Williamsburg, Boro Park, or Monsey. DH brothers are in Viznits monsey and have all types of telescopes, science books and kits. My brothers are in viznits Williamsburg & 2 if them are very into science experiments. It really depends on the child.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:12 pm
Amothet orchid, its no problem introducing it to them.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:13 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
If they're regular standard run of the mill viznitz boys, they wouldn't know what to do with either of them.

Do boys that age read English?

They are smart boys but sheltered. They are not exposed to anything the school wouldn't teach them.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:15 pm
I work in a Viznitz boys cheder and the boys definitely know what a telescope is. A microscope, less so. Many of the boys own snap circuits.
Very popular at the moment are personal MP3 players loaded with music, yiddish plays (audio) and stories. Even better if it is also a voice recorder.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:22 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
I work in a Viznitz boys cheder and the boys definitely know what a telescope is. A microscope, less so. Many of the boys own snap circuits.
Very popular at the moment are personal MP3 players loaded with music, yiddish plays (audio) and stories. Even better if it is also a voice recorder.

I got them something for the whole family that they listen to music and stories. It will record voice. It looks like a ghetto boom box, but that is what their mom wanted.

I couldn't get MP3 players just for the boys. The gift nominally should be at least a family gift.

I can't get anymore building toys. I think legos would be fabulous, but it's not what the mom wants in her home.

Do you think the boys would enjoy a telescope? Are they reading English at this age?

Also are they taught the Sun goes around the earth? I mean nothing disrespectful, but I know boys who are taught this. I don't want to get a gift that contradicts the school.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I got them something for the whole family that they listen to music and stories. It will record voice. It looks like a ghetto boom box, but that is what their mom wanted.

I couldn't get MP3 players just for the boys. The gift nominally should be at least a family gift.

I can't get anymore building toys. I think legos would be fabulous, but it's not what the mom wants in her home.

Do you think the boys would enjoy a telescope? Are they reading English at this age?

Also are they taught the Sun goes around the earth? I mean nothing disrespectful, but I know boys who are taught this. I don't want to get a gift that contradicts the school.

English reading ability varies. It depends on the school and the child. Some boys this age are reading novels, others can handle the Mishpacha Junior or the Aim, and still others read at a very basic level.
If the boys read yiddish magazines such as kinderlech, kindlein, der shtern etc., they are often surprisingly worldly. There are some fantastic science encyclopedias in Yiddish.
The boys in the cheder love anything related to science, history or geography. Would you get them an interactive globe? Any science set with clear instructions would be great too.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:48 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
English reading ability varies. It depends on the school and the child. Some boys this age are reading novels, others can handle the Mishpacha Junior or the Aim, and still others read at a very basic level.
If the boys read yiddish magazines such as kinderlech, kindlein, der shtern etc., they are often surprisingly worldly. There are some fantastic science encyclopedias in Yiddish.
The boys in the cheder love anything related to science, history or geography. Would you get them an interactive globe? Any science set with clear instructions would be great too.

I could get them an interactive globe. It's a great idea for another time! So is the science sets. I guess the microscope and telescope are better for another time.

Usually, the pesach toys get put away year to year. Maybe since they are getting older, perhaps it's better that they be year round presents.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:50 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:

Where do you get the Yiddish science encyclopedias?

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I could get them an interactive globe. It's a great idea for another time! So is the science sets. I guess the microscope and telescope are better for another time.

Usually, the pesach toys get put away year to year. Maybe since they are getting older, perhaps it's better that they be year round presents.

They are lucky to have you in their life!
Another surprisingly popular item is an actual typewriter. For some reason, the boys find them fascinating. They are intrigued by the text that "magically" appears on actual paper Smile.
We bought some off ebay and the kids vie for a chance to use it.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where do you get the Yiddish science encyclopedias?

At the Judaica store. They are large, hardcover and cover a variety of topics.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:14 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
They are lucky to have you in their life!
Another surprisingly popular item is an actual typewriter. For some reason, the boys find them fascinating. They are intrigued by the text that "magically" appears on actual paper Smile.
We bought some off ebay and the kids vie for a chance to use it.

Thank you. I really appreciate everyone's input. I have an old typewriter I could give them another time.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 9:14 pm
OP, no worries. Many viznitz boys that age are reading English. Some better some worse. There is nothing wrong with a telescope or microscope. The cheder does not teach science because they focus only on actual chumash, mishna gemara (which, incidentally includes science). They are not against science....

crust

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 9:18 pm
I believe they would very much appreciate it.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 11:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Also are they taught the Sun goes around the earth? I mean nothing disrespectful, but I know boys who are taught this.

Is this really true?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 11:06 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Is this really true?

It's true they are taught that. I don't believe it is true.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 11:08 pm
Is that taught in all chassidish yeshivas? Or just vishnitz?
Girls too or only boys?
I’m so confused, why are they taught that?

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:22 pm
This has got to be one of the saddest threads I've ever read here. Sad
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics